ESPN?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Don't think you can get it anywhere on big dish, since they decided (at ESPN) that c-banders were insignificant, they stopped selling to VC2 owners/4DTV customers a year or two ago. I think they used the excuse of the descrambler circuitry not being able to handle the stupid blackout rules for some sports..... It's hilarious that you can get it thru Dishnetwork-how secure is THEIR signal? I haven't missed it myself.

Don't think you can get it anywhere on big dish, since they decided (at ESPN) that c-banders were insignificant, they stopped selling to VC2 owners/4DTV customers a year or two ago. I think they used the excuse of the descrambler circuitry not being able to handle the stupid blackout rules for some sports..... It's hilarious that you can get it thru Dishnetwork-how secure is THEIR signal? I haven't missed it myself.
Turbo, this is pretty much the jest of things, but I'll add to it. This past Saturday my Dish Network ESPN was blacked out, because the local ABC channel was showing a game. I don't know if it was the same game or not? But, the local game was in SD, for why I do not know? ESPN did have an alternate (ESPN A) channel with a game, also in SD on the satellite. I was left without an HD option because of the blackout, which is unfair in my opinion?
On the other hand, if I could still get the VC2 ESPN channel on G5/G14 C-Band, the provider, NPS or who ever, would not black it out, and that is probably why ESPN wouldn't let them do it any more? NPS would say they couldn't do it, but I think it was more of a wouldn't do it. It would have made NPS require a phone hook-up, to ensure area code for region, to get the black-out to everyone, and in the right region?
But, that being said, we all know it's an excuse of the ABC/Disney mentality, to try and squeeze out the rest of us back yard users.......

ESPN made a decision not to provide programming to C-band subscribers and no one can figure out why really. It seems to me that you would want the largest number of viewers possible so you could charge the highest rate for commercial time.

The so called "Blackout Rule" that ESPN implements is a farce, to say the least, and probably illegal. Legally the rule was meant to protect gate receipts, nothing else, but ESPN uses it to protect cable networks. Here's how from an actual experience from 2 years ago. The Philadelphia Phillies are playing the Dodgers in LA and ESPN is carrying the game as it's late Wednesday night baseball game. ESPN blacks out the signal to Pennsylvania. Why? Because Comcast is also carrying the game on it's cable system. Is that fair and legal? I don't think so but after spending considerable time fileing complaints with the FCC and getting nowhere I've given up.

Frankly, after ditching Dishnet I thought I would miss ESPN but that hasn't been the case, with the possible exception of Mike & Mike in the Morning. MNF isn't what it used to be and the crew covering it sucks. Sportscenter is hosted by a bunch of annoying doufusses. How many times can you listen to "Booyah", "Say hello to my little friend" and "Back" back, back... infinitum"? Besides, since when is gambling (Poker) a sport and then there's the Dart competitions, etc., etc. Might as well watch paint dry. Nope, I don't miss it.

Actually ESPN and ESPN 2 are still on C Band on G14 (G5) TPs 9 and and 14. It's just blacked out to the BUD owners. Every and then someone is asleep at the switch and it will be clear.......but not very often.

I never could figure the ESPN blackout policy, especially for MLB. ESPN always blacked out the teams in my market, Chicago (both Sox and Cubs), Cinncinnati and St. Louis. The FOX Sports Nets did just the opposite, they blacked out the out of market games. Also I was only authorized for FSN Chicago and Midwest. All of the other regionals were to be blacked out, but never were. I watched any game I wanted to until the FSNs left 4DTV.

Anyway, back to ESPN, a few years ago I wanted to watch a Purdue football game on ESPN. When I turned it on I got the "this program is blacked out in your area." I thought "what the %&*k." So I called NPS, which is located in Indianapolis. They told me that WTTV, a low powered OTA channel from Bloomington, In had the game on so ESPN was blacked out. I cranked the OTA over towards Bloomington and got a "decent" signal. My main gripe was "why am I paying for ESPN and then have to watch the game OTA." I for one also thought I wouldn't miss ESPN, but I did. As long as I can pick up live ESPN game feeds and ESPNEWS stays ITC on G16, I am a happy camper.

Just for the record: 40 years ago we were damn happy to get a game on WTTV, no matter how the recepition was.

Last edited:
It seems that years ago the blackout feature worked fine with the Vc2 so whats the problem there. I also heard something about the 920's didn't do blackout well but the 922 did. What it all boils down to is ABC/ESPN/DISNEY is in bed with the cable companies and the pie plates. They don't want us to have access to ANY of there channels and could care less about us. They get plenty of revenue from the big 3 (Cable, Direct, Dish) I guess Micky Mouse forgot about all the $$$$$$$$$$ that C band subscribers gave them for so many years :(

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)