ESPN2-HD Launch Rumor

Status
Please reply by conversation.
billbillw said:
It would have been nice to see "Into the West" in HD, but I don't really care which they add first, ESPN2 or TNTHD. Niether show that much HD content. I just want them to add SOMETHING! $11 for 5 channels is rediculous. I would actually prefer both of the INHD channels over the duece or TNT, but that is obviously still a battle for D*. I'm sure that we will start seeing a significant increase in the # of HD nationals by the end of the year.

Its really not D*'s fault that Spaceway 2 has been delayed for so long. I'm sure they would do anything to get that piece of hardware into place as soon as possible, but at the same time, they would rather get it right than loose the satellite due to launch problems or equipment malfunctions.

My point is, who cares what we get, as long as we get something and see progress it is better than what we have now...

Chado said:
My point is, who cares what we get, as long as we get something and see progress it is better than what we have now...
I agree! Lets hope they make as much room as possible for at least 1 more HD channel. I will be more prone to complain about PQ when SW1 and SW2 are operational. Just think, we still have to wait until SW1 get in its orbital slot and for SW2 to launch! Based on that alone we are looking at another 3 maybe 4 months before anything goes MPEG4. Although I am no fan of HD Lite, I must admit I am getting sick and tired of waiting. The only new channel I have received in HD for the last 2 years was BravoHD+ (Now Universal HD). I am a loyal D* sub but you have to understand, during that 2 yr period I have watch my local cable company get bought out by Comcast and are currently offering all 6 local HD channels, HBOHD, CinemaxHD, ShowtimeHD, StarzHD, INHD1 and INHD2, TNTHD, BravesVisionHD, DiscoveryHD, ESPNHD, HDnet and HDNet Movies. while I still have the same 5 HD channel line-up for $10.99/mth. :mad: Not to mention they have they new Motorola HD DVR's that are available! (They advertise 16 HD channels but I show 18 - Since Im not a cable sub Im not sure which 2 here are wrong but they have 16 HD channels thats still 9 more than I have!)

CORRECTION!!!....Lyngsat is now showing SW1 at orbital slot 103 degrees although it still moving marginally. I hope it stops and stay there this time!

Smthkd said:
I agree! Lets hope they make as much room as possible for at least 1 more HD channel. I will be more prone to complain about PQ when SW1 and SW2 are operational. Just think, we still have to wait until SW1 get in its orbital slot and for SW2 to launch! Based on that alone we are looking at another 3 maybe 4 months before anything goes MPEG4. Although I am no fan of HD Lite, I must admit I am getting sick and tired of waiting. The only new channel I have received in HD for the last 2 years was BravoHD+ (Now Universal HD). I am a loyal D* sub but you have to understand, during that 2 yr period I have watch my local cable company get bought out by Comcast and are currently offering all 6 local HD channels, HBOHD, CinemaxHD, ShowtimeHD, StarzHD, INHD1 and INHD2, TNTHD, BravesVisionHD, DiscoveryHD, ESPNHD, HDnet and HDNet Movies. while I still have the same 5 HD channel line-up for $10.99/mth. :mad: Not to mention they have they new Motorola HD DVR's that are available! (They advertise 16 HD channels but I show 18 - Since Im not a cable sub Im not sure which 2 here are wrong but they have 16 HD channels thats still 9 more than I have!)

CORRECTION!!!....Lyngsat is now showing SW1 at orbital lost 103 degrees. I hope it stays there this time!

With that kind of cable lineup why would you ever fool around with satellite? Id kill to have that :p

vurbano said:
With that kind of cable lineup why would you ever fool around with satellite? Id kill to have that :p
Mostly because I have invested sooo much in D* equipment! Even though I was an early adopter, Im not to quick to switch! I paid $1400 for two HD recivers ($699 each - Pana. TUHDS20 when they first came out - still working) :eek: Although this equipment is old, I feel like I've spent too much just to switch, besides Im still holding out that D* wont let me down with the upcoming MPEG4 receiver and eventually the wireless HMC. Im giving them until DEC. 05. By then if I don't see any significant changes in the HD lineup and equipment, I will have to go to eBay, sell and switch! But, I hope that doesnt happen! :no

vurbano said:

I'm in the same city as SmithKD. I had that Comcast HD setup until January. Of course at that time they didn't have TNTHD, HDNET, or ABCHD. Although that Comcast lineup looks good, it cost almost $30 more per month for similar service.

Bottom line for me is that Directv should have added TNTHD a LONG time ago. It is very bad for them not to be supplying what is one of the main HD ch's available. I have said this before .... there is no reason that Direct could give me that they havent provided TNTHD for all this time. No reason. I understand that people are supporters of Direct , but everyone that owns an HDTV and has spent alot of cash on their equipment has to be angry over what HD is provided by Direct in their HD pack. TNTHD would have helped. I have cancelled Direct's HDpack and really don't miss it. I just dont like being taken and I feel that Direct doesnt provide enough HD for the cash they are charging. TNTHD should have been added a long time ago....but then again it's been so long now, it's old news.

charper1 said:
There will not be any MPEG4 gear out to any national users (those outside the #12 and #14 DMAs and lower) so WHY would they release a national channel with a compression scheme they can't decode?

MY above comment assumes that at least DMAs 1-11 and 13 have been upgraded by this rumor 9/08 date (aka the top 12 markets), if this has not happened, please edit my comments to reflect that NO ONE will be able to receive the signal if it were MPEG4.

Ok you're scaring me here. Why is DMA #12 (which is where I am, Atlanta, if memeory serves) not got with the top 14?

lovswr said:
Ok you're scaring me here. Why is DMA #12 (which is where I am, Atlanta, if memeory serves) not got with the top 14?

Chill, Atlanta is like #9 and it will be in the first round of upgrades.

djsmokyc said:
Personally, I'd rather see TNT-HD, for the basketball, but I think we'll be in MPEG4 territory before the NBA season starts (October for preseason, November for regular season).
Sadly it sounds like (from rumors) that we will still be mpeg2 until early 2006. A couple people in the know posted recently that the new mpeg2/mpeg4 HD dvr will not be seen until 2006.:-(

So I popped into my local Best Buy today and noticed they had the new DirecTV HD pamplets out, these are dated August 05 on the back.

I just wanted to share that it looks like ESPN2HD will be the next HD channel we get. Inside the first page the new pamplet now lists ESPN2HD and says Coming this Fall. There is no mention of any other channels.

scooby2 said:
Sadly it sounds like (from rumors) that we will still be mpeg2 until early 2006. A couple people in the know posted recently that the new mpeg2/mpeg4 HD dvr will not be seen until 2006.:-(

Latest word is that the DVRs will be ready by years end but nothing else will be ready by that time so they will just wait for more to get in supply so when the rush comes they can handle much more.

what about Outdoor Channel 2HD........nothing but HD content
man we are missing ALOT of HD content on D*
sorry excuse for a satellite company

If it matters, I just got off the phone with someone that called me from retention (I had sent an e-mail saying I need to hear something about what's happening). All he could say was that they've been told 9/8 for the launch of ESPN2-HD, will be in the HD package and no increase in price. I tried to get more info on other channels and he wouldn't say anything.

He also did add that any HD hardware that needs to be replaced to receive the new channels would be done at no cost.

I know this has been said before but just wanted to post that D*'s still saying this.

I guess that means the next 5 - 6 weeks should be interesting, will Spaceway2 go up, will ESPN2HD launch in Mpeg 2 (all I hear is no space) or 4 (better start shipping those new boxes & dishes) or both, if there will be any other channels in that same timeframe (I am guessing not quite yet). I am also very curious how the box swapping will be handled especially when it comes to the HD Tivo owners since it sounds like new HD DVRs will probably not be out until years end, also curious if lifetime tivo subscriptions will be honored with the new non-tivo DVRs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts