Espn2 Hd??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well the announcment to me made me think we would have it today. Especially with 3 basketball games planned tonight on the channel in HD.

Is there anyone with the engineer cards that can confirm if the channel is on?

Here is a copy of the announcement BFG posted. NOWHERE does it say at what date and time D* will add this service. It ONLY says when ESP2-HD will go live (ITSELF) and that agreements for D* are in place. I find it hard to see this as mis-leading. Now I may be wrong and it might come on later tonight or tomorrow, but it has been my guess it will be similar to TNT-HD; wait and see.

ESPN TO LIGHT UP ESPN2 HD
ESPN2 HD TO LAUNCH LIVE FROM CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW

Las Vegas, Nev. – ESPN2 HD, a high-definition simulcast of ESPN2, will launch Thursday at 7 p.m. EST. The opening night tripleheader will feature top teams from three different conferences - Conference USA, the Big 12 and West Coast Conference: DePaul at #20 Cincinnati (7 p.m.), Memphis at #11 Texas (9 p.m.) and #17 Gonzaga at Santa Clara (11 p.m.). The countdown for the service will take place at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas where executives from ESPN and the Consumer Electronic Association will be present to commemorate the launch.

ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD will offer a total of 82 live events in the first 83 days of 2005 across both services. This includes all Saturday primetime basketball match-ups, and a total 28 games as part of Championship Week Presented by 7UP. Rivalry Week, Presented by Cisco Systems, will include top games such as Villanova at St. Joseph's (ESPN2 HD), Boston College at Notre Dame (ESPN2 HD), #24 N.C. State at #3 Wake Forest (ESPN HD), Notre Dame at #12 Pittsburgh (ESPN HD) and #6 Duke at #23 Maryland (ESPN HD).

Distribution agreements for ESPN2 HD have been signed with DIRECTV, Inc. and Adelphia Communications.

“The future of television is here and we are thrilled to launch our second high-definition service live from the Consumer Electronics Show,” said Bryan Burns, vice president strategic planning and business development, ESPN. “We will take full advantage of every opportunity across our two HD services to maximize the number of dates on which fans can see an originally-produced event on either ESPN HD or ESPN2 HD. This is another big day in the development of HD programming.”

In celebration of the launch of ESPN2 HD, 291,827 fans voted on ESPN.com and selected the game that analyst Dick Vitale will call on opening night of the service. Their choice with over 45% of the votes, Memphis at Texas (9 p.m.), was revealed January 1 during ESPN’s coverage of #9 Georgia Tech at #2 Kansas.

They won't comment on anything regarding another company like D*.

Where are all the SatGuys that are reporting LIVE from the CES show? Why are they not chiming in on the big news?

I don't even know why I am getting all excited. I won't have my D* HD receiver till tomorrow anyway. I guess I just like suspense. lol

Enforcer said:
I don't even know why I am getting all excited. I won't have my D* HD receiver till tomorrow anyway. I guess I just like suspense. lol

I think mine might be defective... im slightly concerned about it.

Hey Shadow....three words. DEAD ON ARRIVAL. lol. Sorry everyone, inside joke.

Something just doesn't seem right

Dick Vitale and ESPN have been on this big kick to have fans send Vitale to do a HD game on ESPN2. So why would they be promoting ESPN2 HD if no one can see it? Does Voom, Dish or Adelphia have it on? I don't know, but if the only people to see it are at the convention what sense does that make? I think someone has egg on their face. Either us (D* HD subscribers) or D* or even ESPN (Disney). Seriously, what sense does it make to promote something customers can't see?

I am always of the assumption that it is the DBS provider that slows things to a crawl to the user, but as a broadcaster/program provider you just follow your script regardless of whos watching or how many.

I do think it is on 4DTV.

Regarding the claim from an previous post that an ESPN2 announcer said it was on D*, I heard him say call your local cable provider or D* for availability. As in "can you guys please add this to your line up for me please"; not that it was actually on.

charper1 said:
I am always of the assumption that it is the DBS provider that slows things to a crawl to the user, but as a broadcaster/program provider you just follow your script regardless of whos watching or how many.

I do think it is on 4DTV.

Regarding the claim from an previous post that an ESPN2 announcer said it was on D*, I heard him say call your local cable provider or D* for availability. As in "can you guys please add this to your line up for me please"; not that it was actually on.

He did say "call your local cable provider or D* for availability." However in the first half right when the game started he did say that it WAS available on DirecTV and certain cable companies.

Sorry, watched it all and never heard that express statement that it WAS ON, just to call them. If that was the ONLY time he said it, then it was a mis-read on his part; as we now know.

charps right. It was more of a marketing plow by ESPN to get customers to hassle their service providers to pay ESPN more to carry their channel more than it was about the game actually being in HD.

It WAS on at CES, in HD. People there were the only ones who could see it in HD. Not sure if this was by design to only have the launch at CES(why thwy would do that, I dunno) tho.

Chuck W said:
It WAS on at CES, in HD. People there were the only ones who could see it in HD. Not sure if this was by design to only have the launch at CES(why thwy would do that, I dunno) tho.

I don't believe there is anyway ESPN2 setup 3 HD games in a row for the kickoff of their new channel to be only seen at CES.

The Filpping Cnls section:

"ESPN2 HD launched last night on DirecTV; still no agreements with Cox or Time Warner cable . . "

What a doofus writer. No fact checking as usual.

I would stay tuned on Tuesday. From what people are telling me, D* "normally" launches new channels on Monday and Tuesday's. Keep your fingers crossed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)