Espnu or All American Direct distants in HD

They'll come into work Saturday morning and there will be a memo that reads:
"Expect higher than normal call volume as everyone will qualify for SD Distants as of today, oh and... we offer HD Distants. Good luck to everyone!"

:eek:

our local abc broadcast in sd only no hd.will i be able go get the abc hd thru the hd distants?

Am I looking to deep into this, but if you have locals is there a programming advantage poosibly obtaining aditional locals with all american, maybe aditional sports and stuff? Just asking?

The FCC's Digital Signal Reception Maps for any location can be found at the FCC Engineering site.

The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps

Those maps are pretty funny !

They should be put into the same file as " Those mortgage-backed securities are safe because home prices never go down. "

because they say things like " You can receive this signal regardless of the 10,000 foot mountain range in between you and the tower. "

I can just hear the broadcasters screaming "COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT!!!" once they realize folks are getting the SD Distants. Between daytime programming and sports, I bet it won't be long until the NAB goes nuts.

Yes there are maps, but nothing about testing a consumers signal at their home. :)

It looks like this is the current standard they are using for digital.

"In particular, the Commission has defined DTV station service areas based on field strength levels that provide noise-limited service (the Grade B signal strength levels define noise-limited service for analog stations).
DTV service areas are defined as the geographic area within a station’s noise-limited field strength contour where its signal strength is
expected to exceed that field strength level at 50 percent of the locations 90 percent of the time (50,90).
Within that contour, service is considered available at locations where a station’s signal strength, as predicted using the terrain dependent Longley-Rice point-to-point propagation model,
exceeds the noise-limited standards. The DTV noise-limited field strength standards are: channels 2-6 (low VHF)- 28 dB?, channels 7-13 (high VHF)- 36 dB?, channels 14-69 (UHF)- 41 dB?. These criteria presume that households will exert similar efforts to receive DTV broadcast stations as they have always been expected to exert to receive NTSC analog TV signals."

Well it sounds Offical, AAD is going to provide HD feeds from Chicago and LA Starting next week. It seems the HD feed will carry a Higher price. How Much??? Unknown currently. The Rep from AAD said the new Pricing will be release on Saturday for the HD feeds. Stay Tuned! He already warned me not to call untill the end of the week, Because they are expecting HUGH amounts of call Volume on Saturday - Wednesday. So I'll wait untill then , But I'm sure a Satellite Guys member will tell us the Price before then.

Well it sounds Offical, AAD is going to provide HD feeds from Chicago and LA Starting next week. It seems the HD feed will carry a Higher price. How Much??? Unknown currently. The Rep from AAD said the new Pricing will be release on Saturday for the HD feeds. Stay Tuned! He already warned me not to call untill the end of the week, Because they are expecting HUGH amounts of call Volume on Saturday - Wednesday. So I'll wait untill then , But I'm sure a Satellite Guys member will tell us the Price before then.

Chicago and LA...Will they be local specific afiliates? (station call letters) would be nice to check out the website and see what outside programing will be shown?

The actual numbers for these I don't know. It's quite possible that they could remain on the numbers mentioned above. However, on today's uplink, Dish added a channel 81 titled "INFO". It's still hidden, but I bet it'll contain some info on the new law regarding DNS. Could be wrong, time will tell.

now how will these get mapped down in the guide. maybe like channel 101 for sd and 101 hd two different programming.
Your not getting all of these HD channels and SD for $12.99 per month, That I can assure you. They are SD and HD are going to be seperate price tiers. So just to clairify , The HD isn't just going to show up, You Must subscribe to them. Even if you already get SD through AAD.

8 channels per transponder, wow are they gonna look like crap!

In mpeg 4 not mpeg 2 . How many mpeg 4 hd channels are on one transponder with DISH? I think I remember they put 8 as well .Okay I just counted the amount of national hd channels on transponder 16 on the 61.5 sat and it was 8. Counted 8 national hd channels on transponder 22 on 129 sat as well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)