"Essential Service" Package?

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
I was just looking at the listing for The Learning Channel on http://www.dishnetwork.com and the last package it said it was a part of was the "ESSENTIAL SERVICE" package. I can't find this package listed anywhere else. Does anyone know what this means? I am currently only paying for locals and SkyAngel (which still nets Dish an extra receiver fee and 2 DVR fees), should I be getting that too?

Brad

From checking the channel listings on the Dish Network website, it appears that the Essential Service package includes:

CNN
Headline News
The Weather Channel
TBS
Cartoon Network
Boomerang
Discovery
TLC

It appears to be a very limited basic package. It is definitely a separate entity than the DishFamily package. I could find nothing about pricing for this package on the Dish Network site; perhaps more information on this will be forthcoming.

Good find, Andrews777.

I just called Dish Network to ask about this package. It costs $9.99/month and includes:

CNN
Headline News
TBS
Cartoon Network
Boomerang
C-Span
C-Span2
The Weather Channel
Discovery
TLC
HGTV
MTV2
CourtTV

The bad thing is (according to the CSR), you can only keep it for a maximum of 6 months, and you can only get it once in a lifetime. Maybe if there was enough demand for this package, they would keep it as a regular offering (America's Top 13?...... Nah.).

I just called Dish Network to ask about this package. It costs $9.99/month and includes:

CNN
Headline News
TBS
Cartoon Network
Boomerang
C-Span
C-Span2
The Weather Channel
Discovery
TLC
HGTV
MTV2
CourtTV

The bad thing is (according to the CSR), you can only keep it for a maximum of 6 months, and you can only get it once in a lifetime. Maybe if there was enough demand for this package, they would keep it as a regular offering (America's Top 13?...... Nah.).

So I take it that this is what they offer you if you can not sub to anyother pack as a last ditch effort to keep your business. THen if you can 't pay for something higher like family pack they say Bye -Bye.

If you could add that to the dishfamily package it'd be cool lol, then you'd have cartoon network and boomerang on top of the disney channels. *shrug* I would looove it if I could get all of said channels for AT60's price (or less)

CNN
Headline News
TBS
Cartoon Network
Boomerang
C-Span
C-Span2
The Weather Channel
Discovery
TLC
HGTV
MTV2
CourtTV

They can put Boomerang there but not on the TOP 120 (or whatever it is now).

Well hey, until now AT60 didn't include the CD channels but you could get them without paying Dish a dime by using an FTA receiver. Unfortunately, nothing new to me but I'm really hoping that boomerang (and maaaybe toon disney) end up on AT100 *drool* I'd be sooo happy.

ACtually I have one son and he is addicted to cartoons so I see your point but I have never heard it refered to as an essential before.

I still think they should have the "BT-3", that is, the "Bayou Top 3" and include:
- The Weather Channel
- Headline News
- TVGC (so that I know what I'm not missing. :D)

I would gues that this was created because of Katrina - thus the low-cost, and six month limit. Each broadcaster has to agree to allow this, and the six-month limit would help there.

I have just the Superstation Package which is even cheaper per month. And there is no 6 month criteria either.

Well hey, until now AT60 didn't include the CD channels but you could get them without paying Dish a dime by using an FTA receiver. Unfortunately, nothing new to me but I'm really hoping that boomerang (and maaaybe toon disney) end up on AT100 *drool* I'd be sooo happy.

I would happily pay two or three dollars extra a month to get Boomerang in addition to AT100, for one reason only. To this day, I can still watch and enjoy the Hanna-Barbera cartoons that I grew up with. Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, and even Magilla Gorilla still have a home on Boomerang. The animation may not be top notch, but those early HB cartoons are still a heckuva lotta fun to watch.