Ethernet function on openbox/skybox stb's

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I set DHCP to on because my router assigns the ip addresses. Most people will have DHCP on. Not many people use static IP addresses where they have to enter gateway, DNS, and IP address info. I did a search by pressing the red button for ADD on the remote and entered the city name then pressed the blue button for OK on the remote.

I set DHCP to on because my router assigns the ip addresses. Most people will have DHCP on. Not many people use static IP addresses where they have to enter gateway, DNS, and IP address info. I did a search by pressing the red button for ADD on the remote and entered the city name then pressed the blue button for OK on the remote.
Thanks Bongu, will try again.

Well, I finally solved the ethernet problem. It was my cable modem, not the STB. I asked the cable company to change my modem and they did today. Took care of it and I now get the weather just fine on the F3. Thanks for all the replies and help from you guys.

in addition to what the others have said....the ethernet port is there for IKS (internet key sharing) for pirates to view encrypted programming....that is the real reason its there, although the manufacturers claim its for your local network applications, it really is not, they only say that for legal purposes....the openbox is very popular in europe for its "pirate" capabilities

As much as I don't agree with such activities, I'm kinda glad it continues. Otherwise our supply of receivers for legal FTA, would dry up pretty quickly!

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

As much as I don't agree with such activities, I'm kinda glad it continues. Otherwise our supply of receivers for legal FTA, would dry up pretty quickly!

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Oh, really?

microHD, RS-1933, 6600HD.... I guess we are just chopped liver...... ;)

Oh, really?

microHD, RS-1933, 6600HD.... I guess we are just chopped liver...... ;)

I was thinking the same thing. :D I do have to wonder though, I bet the price point would be higher.

I was thinking the same thing. :D I do have to wonder though, I bet the price point would be higher.

The ALI chipsets have quite the following for European T2 and for the Chinese digital transition. Probably would not see much cost variation. Sigma chipsets are primarily used for media players, DVD, etc. so the the cost propably is not affected by the "theft of services" market, ST Has quite the marketshare on DVBT and service providers as does Broadcom.

The OEM products with multiple name badges would have a higher cost as their primary market is for "theft of service". You are correct to suggest that the STB market prices likely would be higher as unfortunately, most receivers that make their way into the US typically are just rebadged European models. Very little PCB "board up" development.

I kind of suspected there was something fishy with the ethernet function on these boxes. I asked about the ethernet function on the openbox UK site and didn't get even one reply. I really thought it might be there for streaming free video like you can do on a PC. Oh well, I'm way behind the times. Still living in the 1950's when I grew up. I used to own two TV shops and done the warranty work for GE, RCA, Sylvania back in the 70's-80's. I just haven't kept up with the modern technology and the terminology used for modern consumer electronics. I am learning quite a bit about satellite reception since joining this forum though.

It's my understanding that IKS has a legal function across the pond (in addition to hacking). Of course I don't live there, so as always... I could be wrong.

Seems to me that local networking & internet services would be a logical feature to include on just about any home entertainment video device... TVs, BluRay players, media players, satellite receivers, ect.

One can never know the true motivations of others. But on the surface, there wouldn't seem to be anything particularly sinister about an ethernet port on an FTA receiver. At least, not to me.

Cheers

The sharing of keys within the household for 2nd receivers is legal in Europe. Of course it didn't take long for someone to throw those up on a server where many can get them. They must not be that concerned over it as it wouldn't be too hard to trace the IP's of the users connecting to the servers.
I do enjoy the use of the net connection on my Openbox to export and edit my channels, then bring them back. So don't poo-poo the whole thing please.

Last edited:
The sharing of keys within the household for 2nd receivers is legal in Europe...
As an european,i can tell you,that is not true!
No provider allows CS.
1.It is against providers contract-rules.
2.To use CS ,you have to use a Camd(Conditional Access Module Demon) which reads the smartcard.
But all of them,have no license from a crypt company like Nagra or NDS etc.
Most of the code the camds using,was generated thru reverse engineering.
This is spying and can bring every developer to court,if they can catch them!

The thing is:It is a big grey-zone,but this doesn t mean,that it is legal!

Last edited:
People on euro forums talk of buying receivers pre-loaded with "gifts" good for 1 year of programming.
Dealers have also been known to password protect the entire receiver to prevent the "gifts" details from being known.

I would like to see someone implement a guide over the Ethernet for these boxes. The weather is not a bad function, and channel lists over enet is a good thing, another use would be firmware updates, it appears in the menus it is not fully implemented yet.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
...Seems to me that local networking & internet services would be a logical feature to include on just about any home entertainment video device...
...I do enjoy the use of the net connection on my Openbox to export and edit my channels, then bring them back...
I agree strongly with both of you. I use the network capability of my S9 multiple times per day since I think doing anything with a remote control as far as editing box data is dinosaur-like. Though, I am about to buy a microHD, I can hardly believe a modern home video device doesn't have ethernet and/or wifi capability in 2012. This feature omission is not understandable to me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts