European Football

jollygrunt

Arsenal Fan
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 16, 2005
Republic of Texas
I've been watching Fox Soccer Channel's coverage of the Premiership for the last few weeks, and I'm starting to get hooked. I don't really know all the teams yet, but I am trying to keep up with some of the top teams such as Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal. I also saw and enjoyed the Barcelona v Real Madrid game on GolTV last week, and Arsenals game against Juventus earlier this week. I really wanted to watch the Arsenal v. manchester united game this weekend but it's only on PPV so I'll watch the Chelsea match instead.

I've tried watching MLS, but it's not as entertaining as the European games are.

jollygrunt said:
I've been watching Fox Soccer Channel's coverage of the Premiership for the last few weeks, and I'm starting to get hooked. I don't really know all the teams yet, but I am trying to keep up with some of the top teams such as Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal. I also saw and enjoyed the Barcelona v Real Madrid game on GolTV last week, and Arsenals game against Juventus earlier this week. I really wanted to watch the Arsenal v. manchester united game this weekend but it's only on PPV so I'll watch the Chelsea match instead.

I've tried watching MLS, but it's not as entertaining as the European games are.

If you want to watch good soccer, try checking out some Brazilian/Argentianian league matches. They are non-stop action.

jollygrunt said:

I have found that the Premiership is my favorite league. They are a little more physical than the other European leagues. Throw in the German Bundesliga game as well and you have a nice Saturday of Soccer. You are joining in at the end of the season where it appears that Chelsea has it all in hand, but what's nice about the Premiership is that there is a fight at the bottom to stay in the league. The bottom 3 teams are kicked down to a lower league. That is turning out to be real entertaining. As far as middle of the table teams worth watching, I enjoy watching West Ham and Bolton, there is usually a lot of action when either one of those teams are playing.

IMO, stay away from the Italian Serie A league, they play a more conservative style of soccer which is a bit boring to me.

Don't forget about the World Cup only 2 months away with all the games on the ABC networks....

jollygrunt said:

It's so great to hear more Americans getting into "Football." I've been following the English Leagues for many years now. The Premiership is a great league to watch, because it never gets old rooting against Chelsea, Man U., and Arsenal :devil: . I love the Promotion/Relegation format and really wish something like that could be done here in the USA, unfortunately it will never happen since there's too much money involved. Honestly could you see the New York Yankees agreeing to join a league where they may have to drop down a level? Of course last year my team (Norwich City) was relegated so I had to follow them through other means, but it didn't make this year's EPL season any less exciting.

Anyhow, the MLS isn't on par with many of the European leagues, but most of the leagues over there have been established for a far longer time. The MLS is definately getting its act together and is starting to get a better product. In fact I believe that Chelsea and the LA Galaxy recently signed some sort of partnership that should help bring more youth prospects into the MLS.

Now that the MLS season started my weekend is filled with FSC's Super Saturday, plus my Direct Kick package. And then this Summer is the World Cup. It's a great time to get hooked on the "beautiful game."

Weezknight said:
Anyhow, the MLS isn't on par with many of the European leagues, but most of the leagues over there have been established for a far longer time. The MLS is definately getting its act together and is starting to get a better product. In fact I believe that Chelsea and the LA Galaxy recently signed some sort of partnership that should help bring more youth prospects into the MLS.

I would really like to see someone with vision like Bruce Arenas to become commisioner of MLS. It would really help the sport in the US.

The Chelsea game this weekend was amazing. When they went down a goal and lost a man to a red card, I thought they were done for, but they battled back and ended up winning 4-1.

I'm looking forward to watching the Arsenal v. Portsmouth game tomorrow on FSC, and there's many good matches to come all the way through Monday after Easter.

Also, after watching a few of Arsenal's games and reading up on them, I've decded that they're my favorite team.

Last edited:
jollygrunt said:
I'm looking forward to watching the Arsenal v. Portsmouth game tomorrow on FSC, and there's many good matches to come all the way through Monday after Easter.

Also, after watching a few of Arsenal's games and reading up on them, I've decded that they're my favorite team.

The Pompeys have a lot to play for against Arsenal. They are much improved thanks to new ownership and Harry Redknapp coming back as manager. They let one get away last weekend, they need to beat Arsenal badly to stay out of relegation.

Chado said:
The Pompeys have a lot to play for against Arsenal. They are much improved thanks to new ownership and Harry Redknapp coming back as manager. They let one get away last weekend, they need to beat Arsenal badly to stay out of relegation.

Would be kind of funny, though, to see Redknapp drop twice in consecutive years.

FORZA ITALIA, FORZA AZZURRI.
Italian league is the best, look at all the good players in the Serie A. For me the best leagues are, in order of preference:
Serie A
La Liga
Premiership

Italy will be a strong contender in Germany!

I am Italian, does my post give it away?

dimi1963 said:
FORZA ITALIA, FORZA AZZURRI.
Italy will be a strong contender in Germany!

I agree with you about Italy being strong this year. It's a real shame that 1 of Italy, Czech Republic, and USA will not move out of group play. What a terrible draw for their group when looking at world rankings.

Italy #12
Ghana #50
USA #5
Czech #2

Then you look at Group A and see nobody better than #22! Oh well, it will definately be the group to watch, especially because Ghana's ranking is very deceiving.

There's only one game which should be called football and literally uses the "foot" to the hit the ball 99% of the time. The imitatation should be called "hand" ball since they use the hands 99% of the time to carry the ball. :)

Weezknight said:
I agree with you about Italy being strong this year. It's a real shame that 1 of Italy, Czech Republic, and USA will not move out of group play. What a terrible draw for their group when looking at world rankings.

Italy #12
Ghana #50
USA #5
Czech #2

Then you look at Group A and see nobody better than #22! Oh well, it will definately be the group to watch, especially because Ghana's ranking is very deceiving.

That's is one tough group. I think the USA team is going to surprise a lot of people in Europe.

I thought Fußball was the proper term!
Bundesliga is my favorite with English 2nd and Scottish 3rd. I think the Champions League has better matches than the World Cup. But it's all good!

I've been to several MLS games and while that are not on the same level as the European leagues the are genrally entertaining and relitively cheap.

That was a disappointing game by Arsenal last night. They should've been able to win it except for a couple of missed chances for goals especially by Adebayor.