Even transponder failure

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BMweinstein

Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Hello Everyone.

I'm Barry and I have an issue with my Directv System

I have a single LNB unit with an old RCA receiver. This afternoon I noticed an issue with the system. After checking the dish alignment I found that my signal strength on all of the even number transponders was reading 0. The Odd number transponders had no issue.

Has anyone seen this before and what has been tried to correct the issue?

I have seen one post on the web referring to transpoders being set to "unstacked" But I have no idea how to acces any type of diagnostic mode on my system to verify if this is the case or how to correct it.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Barry

Most likely culprit is bad fitting / barrel connection somewhere in the system. My expertise is Dish Network equipment, but I imagine by the age of the equipment the receiver still sends 18 vdc for even transponders and 13 vdc for odd transponders. A bad fitting or other component in the system can cause the system to lose voltage. I can't remember what the thresholds for legacy equipment was, but you probably have enough loss to where the LNB is only getting enough voltage to send even transponders. Check all fittings / barrels / cabling first. Next try a different LNB. Your last option is probably the receiver.

Hello Steve:

Thank you, right know the odd transponders are okay its the even ones that are showing zero. Please explain what is a "barrel"?.

Regards,

Barry

Hello Steve:

Thank you, right know the odd transponders are okay its the even ones that are showing zero. Please explain what is a "barrel"?.

Regards,

Barry

A Barrel is the connector that joins 2 pieces of coax - you may or may not have them in your cable run. You will see 2 female "F" connectors screwed into a male "barrel" connector.

Basically what he was saying is to look at all of your connectors and replace any that are suspect. Make sure that any connectors that are outside are the moisture resistant ones (they have a little "O" ring in them) and that the inside part of the cable is still seated properly in the fitting.

The other possibility is the LNB itself. That word "old" was the clue.

Remove the screw holding the LNB on the end of the arm. IF there are two ports on the LNB switch to the other one. That may fix it.

As Steve mentioned the other problem source could be a fitting or cable cut. If the LNB turns out to be ok you start opening fittings. Check for a missing center wire or corrosion on the outside. The barrel connector is a fitting that allows two cables to be joined. They look like little barrels; threaded connectors.

Examine where the cable enters the building.....think rodent damage. Follow the cable as far as you can looking for cuts and missing insulation. Cable should not be silver anywhere.

The last possible problem could be your receiver.

Go for it!

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)