Ever gonna fix bugs in 8300HD software???

GadgetRick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
Near NYC
Are they ever going to make the 8300 work the way it's suppose to? What I'm referring to (specifically) is the ability to record a first run program on a particular channel. Right now, if I want my 8300 to record a program regularly, I must select, "Record this program at any time on this channel." This means I get many copies of the same program. If I try to get it to record only first run programs it just ignores the record command.

Also, how about allowing me to pick up watching a recording from where I left off??? I posted about this before and some people said, if you hit the stop button, it would bring you back to where you stopped when you go back to watch the program. Apparently, this times out at some point because it doesn't work for me.

I have other minor complaints but these two things REALLY annoy the hell out of me...pretty much as much as not having Discovery HD and a few other channels annoy me.

Anyone know if they'll ever fix these problems?

I haven't had a problem with the first run option. My problem is when using pip the screen freezed for a moment. But only on the digital channels.

GadgetRick said:
Are they ever going to make the 8300 work the way it's suppose to? What I'm referring to (specifically) is the ability to record a first run program on a particular channel. Right now, if I want my 8300 to record a program regularly, I must select, "Record this program at any time on this channel." This means I get many copies of the same program. If I try to get it to record only first run programs it just ignores the record command.

Also, how about allowing me to pick up watching a recording from where I left off??? I posted about this before and some people said, if you hit the stop button, it would bring you back to where you stopped when you go back to watch the program. Apparently, this times out at some point because it doesn't work for me.

I have other minor complaints but these two things REALLY annoy the hell out of me...pretty much as much as not having Discovery HD and a few other channels annoy me.

Anyone know if they'll ever fix these problems?

Which programs speciafically are you having problems recording first run only? Regarding "watching recording from where it left off" I have seen the same. Sometimes the option is there to start watching from it where left of, most of the time is not. What I do is that if I am watching a program and leave it in the middle, I will go to the IODVR channel (1000) and it will continue from where I left of. Of course, this only works with the last program you were watching.

One thing that I am having issue with is that lots of time during playback the video "stops and pixelates". This behavior seems to be random but it could happen sometimes just once or many times while watching a program. Anyone has a solution for this. I have the box set to 720p.

In order to set up an all epsiode recording with the first run only option the episode you are setting it up with must be first run. If it's not it will not set up. I would say half of my recording are set up for first run and it works.

Which programs speciafically are you having problems recording first run only? Regarding "watching recording from where it left off" I have seen the same. Sometimes the option is there to start watching from it where left of, most of the time is not. What I do is that if I am watching a program and leave it in the middle, I will go to the IODVR channel (1000) and it will continue from where I left of. Of course, this only works with the last program you were watching.
This happens for EVERY program I try. And, yes, they ARE first run episodes. I've NEVER been able to get it to do this properly. When I try to set it up for first run episodes, it goes through everything as if it was setting it up properly but it just never records the program (NEVER). It's not red in the PG. It just doesn't record. Just ignores I even did this. Any ideas?

Also, had a STRANGE problem the other night. Was trying to set it up to record a program (just one program, not a series or anything). When I set it up it kept telling me I can't have more than 2 programs being recorded at the same time. It brings the box up to cancel the recording of one of the programs so it'll record what I want. Problem is I DIDN'T have 2 programs already set up. I had ONE program set up to record at that time. I checked in the scheduled recordings area, only ONE program. I even scrolled through the WHOLE PG in case it didn't pick something up. Only ONE program set to record. REALLY strange. I couldn't get around it no matter what I did. Anyone seen this one before?

Sean, as far as the picking up where you leave off watching a recording. You said you go to the DVR channel. What do you mean by this? So, you're watching a recording and want to stop it and be able to get back to where you left off. Do you tune to the DVR channel at that point (I've never done this so I don't know) and stop it when you're there? How do you handle this?

Don't want to sound like I'm bashing the 8300HD. I actually (for the most part) like it. I'm just annoyed by a few nagging issues. Fix those and I'm ALMOST as happy as I was with my Tivo. It's a great deal and works fairly well other than a few problems.

Thanks.

The DVR channel is 1000. If you don't finish watching something, and haven't started to watch some other recorded program, switch to channel 1000 and it will be where you left off.

As for your other issues, no first run and 2 recordings already set up, reboot your box. Pull the power cord for 10 seconds then plug it back in, this fixes many of those issues.

Thanks for the tip on tuning to the DVR channel. I'll give that a shot.

I'll also reboot the box...again. I'm skeptical this will help as the box has been rebooted plenty of times. I'll try it though. Maybe I need a different box...

GadgetRick said:
Thanks for the tip on tuning to the DVR channel. I'll give that a shot.

I'll also reboot the box...again. I'm skeptical this will help as the box has been rebooted plenty of times. I'll try it though. Maybe I need a different box...

If the reboot doesnt help, try a new box. I have my box set to record only first run eposides of Lost & Prison Break and have not had a problem with it.

I'll check into it again. If it doesn't work, I'll get a new box. I'm in the process of moving so that would be a good time to get a new box

Thanks for the tips...as always. :)

The Rickster

Hi, First time poster, used to be a D* subscriber with DirectTivo.

I had a few other questions on the SA8300HD.

1) Can you erase one instance of a show scheduled to record, without erasing all future instances, assuming you don't want to do First Run only option?
2) FF button seems to retain what was last done- i.e. if at 10X FF (3 arrows), I press play, then get to commercial, press FF once only, it goes straight to 30X FF (4 arrows). Is this normal?

I switched to Cablevision for the ability to watch HD with a DVR about 3 weeks ago. The HD looks great, but the DVR leaves much to be desired compared to the Tivo.

Thanks,

21pin21

Gadgetrick, if rebooting doesn't work to solve your issues with recording first run episodes only, here's something to consider. The guide data my cable co. (Cox San Diego) provides includes a symbol "(l)" to indicate that it's a first run episode. When that symbol is not provided for a particular program (it's hit and miss sometimes), I resort to selecting the recording option "Record this program in this time slot only" or something to that effect. Different cable cos' are using different versions of different firmware (Passport or SARA) at any given time for the 8300, so your problems will be different from others. I've been writing my cable co. to update to the latest version of SARA, which is out in some areas, but I am told is still being tested in my area to work out some compatibility bugs.

21pin21, to answer your first question, I haven't been able to erase a single instance of a scheduled recording when I've set it up to record that show on a regular basis (first run only or not). One of the many quirks I'd like to see fixed. I don't seem to have the same problem with the FF issue you mentioned.

21pin21 Welcome,
1) No, if you delete an all episode scheduled recording you remove it completed. You can stop and delete an episode once it starts recording and still preserve the schedule.
2) My experience is that it remembers the last FF speed only if you come out of it by hitting the replay button. Hitting play to get out of FF should reset the speed.

Tivo's patents prevent the 8300, or any other DVR, from doing all the things Tivo can. With CV the 8300 is your only option to record HD though, there currently is no Tivo on the market that can record cable HD.

Last edited:
RemyM, Zookster,

Thanks for responding back so quickly.
Even though this is a cablevision specific thread, seems like there are different versions of software depending on where you live. Is that the case? I would've assumed CV would deploy one SW load for all their markets, for ease of technical support alone.
The FF problem occurs on both my DVR's so I doubt it would be fixed by a reboot.
I understand the whole Tivo patent issue. Just seems strange that Tivo hasn't deployed a standalone dual tuner HD Tivo yet. I wonder if the patent case win over E* will give Tivo more leverage and force cable providers to offer a Tivo based DVR in the future?
21pin21

I really don't think it's a PG issue with it not recording first run programs. I've NEVER been able to get it to record using that feature. I've got to make some time (hopefully today) to reboot and try again. Otherwise, I'll ask for a new box.

Thanks.

The Rickster

21pin21 said:
RemyM, Zookster,

Thanks for responding back so quickly.
Even though this is a cablevision specific thread, seems like there are different versions of software depending on where you live. Is that the case? I would've assumed CV would deploy one SW load for all their markets, for ease of technical support alone.
The FF problem occurs on both my DVR's so I doubt it would be fixed by a reboot.
I understand the whole Tivo patent issue. Just seems strange that Tivo hasn't deployed a standalone dual tuner HD Tivo yet. I wonder if the patent case win over E* will give Tivo more leverage and force cable providers to offer a Tivo based DVR in the future?
21pin21

Cablevision's SA8300's are running the same version of SARA 1.88.15.2 on all it's systems.

At CES Tivo showed off a prototype Series 3 Tivo that will have dual tuners, cablecard slots and record HD. It was said to be coming to market by the end of this year.

I got an e-mail from Tivo yesterday offering me the dual tuner series3 and 1 year of service for something like $450. They said something like it was an early release for existing customers. It didn't say anything abour HD though.

MergaTroy6 said:
I got an e-mail from Tivo yesterday offering me the dual tuner series3 and 1 year of service for something like $450. They said something like it was an early release for existing customers. It didn't say anything abour HD though.
MegaTroy6 are you sure it was the Series3 ??? Tivo is releasing the Series2 DT (dual Tuner) May 1st.
can you cut and paste that e-mail ????

I got the email for Series 2 Dual Tuner, NO HD.
I'll stick to my 8300HD and Humax in the bedroom until Seires 3 which first said 2nd half of 2006 now says end of year.

One trick with the 8300 I have used is pausing playback, changing channels to check the yankee score and then going back to the recording by typing in channel 1000. I do not use the DVR button but type channel number 1000 via the number pad and I find myself right where I left off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)