Ever heard of the Repus Bowl?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
A few days ago,

Bill and I had a discussion on who would be the NFC's worst team- the Falcons or the Bears.

Then, I found out that both teams play each other in Week 6.

That matchup reminds me of two words:

Repus Bowl. (It's 'Super' spelled backwards- Get it?)

In other words, there are instances when two crappy teams play each other.

Here are some examples:

1981- 1-14 Colts vs. 2-13 Patriots. Bill once said how remarkable it was that this is a huge rivalry today. Well, this is exhibit A. I'm sure he remembers this game...

1983- Houston and Tampa Bay were both 1-11, and with that year's Super Bowl to take place in old Tampa Stadium, this game was referred to as 'the Repus Bowl.'

1991- The 1-14 Colts played the 2-13 Buccaneers (Once upon a time, the Colts really stunk- strange but true). I read that there was a sign that said, 'Why am I here?' Ah, the days when the Buccaneers were REALLY bad...

1996- 0-3 Giants vs. 0-3 Jets. I'm sure Sandra remembers this one...

1999- 1-5 Saints vs. 0-7 Browns. HD MM probably remembers this classic.

2004- 49ers vs. Dolphins. 20 years ago, they had only three losses combined when they met in Super Bowl XIX. When they met 20 years later, both teams were 1-9. Ye gods!

2005- 2-13 Texans vs. 3-12 49ers. This was dubbed 'Bush Bowl' (Reggie, that is). Yet, neither team got him. (I think Williams will revert to mediocrity- 2007 was a fluke).

A few days ago,

Bill and I had a discussion on who would be the NFC's worst team- the Falcons or the Bears.

Then, I found out that both teams play each other in Week 6.

That matchup reminds me of two words:

Repus Bowl. (It's 'Super' spelled backwards- Get it?)

In other words, there are instances when two crappy teams play each other.

Here are some examples:

1981- 1-14 Colts vs. 2-13 Patriots. Bill once said how remarkable it was that this is a huge rivalry today. Well, this is exhibit A. I'm sure he remembers this game...

1983- Houston and Tampa Bay were both 1-11, and with that year's Super Bowl to take place in old Tampa Stadium, this game was referred to as 'the Repus Bowl.'

1991- The 1-14 Colts played the 2-13 Buccaneers (Once upon a time, the Colts really stunk- strange but true). I read that there was a sign that said, 'Why am I here?' Ah, the days when the Buccaneers were REALLY bad...

1996- 0-3 Giants vs. 0-3 Jets. I'm sure Sandra remembers this one...

1999- 1-5 Saints vs. 0-7 Browns. HD MM probably remembers this classic.

2004- 49ers vs. Dolphins. 20 years ago, they had only three losses combined when they met in Super Bowl XIX. When they met 20 years later, both teams were 1-9. Ye gods!

2005- 2-13 Texans vs. 3-12 49ers. This was dubbed 'Bush Bowl' (Reggie, that is). Yet, neither team got him. (I think Williams will revert to mediocrity- 2007 was a fluke).

I sure do remember that Colts-Patriots game. The media dubbed it the "Toilet Bowl". And you're right, my friend, that game was exhibit A of why I find it ironic that the Colts/Pats today is one of the best rivalries in sports.

HD MM, remember when a winless Browns team played a one-win Saints team on Halloween day 1999?

That game, to me, seemed like a classic example of what I meant in this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)