Ever heard of the Repus Bowl?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
A few days ago,

Bill and I had a discussion on who would be the NFC's worst team- the Falcons or the Bears.

Then, I found out that both teams play each other in Week 6.

That matchup reminds me of two words:

Repus Bowl. (It's 'Super' spelled backwards- Get it?)

In other words, there are instances when two crappy teams play each other.

Here are some examples:

1981- 1-14 Colts vs. 2-13 Patriots. Bill once said how remarkable it was that this is a huge rivalry today. Well, this is exhibit A. I'm sure he remembers this game...

1983- Houston and Tampa Bay were both 1-11, and with that year's Super Bowl to take place in old Tampa Stadium, this game was referred to as 'the Repus Bowl.'

1991- The 1-14 Colts played the 2-13 Buccaneers (Once upon a time, the Colts really stunk- strange but true). I read that there was a sign that said, 'Why am I here?' Ah, the days when the Buccaneers were REALLY bad...

1996- 0-3 Giants vs. 0-3 Jets. I'm sure Sandra remembers this one...

1999- 1-5 Saints vs. 0-7 Browns. HD MM probably remembers this classic.

2004- 49ers vs. Dolphins. 20 years ago, they had only three losses combined when they met in Super Bowl XIX. When they met 20 years later, both teams were 1-9. Ye gods!

2005- 2-13 Texans vs. 3-12 49ers. This was dubbed 'Bush Bowl' (Reggie, that is). Yet, neither team got him. (I think Williams will revert to mediocrity- 2007 was a fluke).

A few days ago,

Bill and I had a discussion on who would be the NFC's worst team- the Falcons or the Bears.

Then, I found out that both teams play each other in Week 6.

That matchup reminds me of two words:

Repus Bowl. (It's 'Super' spelled backwards- Get it?)

In other words, there are instances when two crappy teams play each other.

Here are some examples:

1981- 1-14 Colts vs. 2-13 Patriots. Bill once said how remarkable it was that this is a huge rivalry today. Well, this is exhibit A. I'm sure he remembers this game...

1983- Houston and Tampa Bay were both 1-11, and with that year's Super Bowl to take place in old Tampa Stadium, this game was referred to as 'the Repus Bowl.'

1991- The 1-14 Colts played the 2-13 Buccaneers (Once upon a time, the Colts really stunk- strange but true). I read that there was a sign that said, 'Why am I here?' Ah, the days when the Buccaneers were REALLY bad...

1996- 0-3 Giants vs. 0-3 Jets. I'm sure Sandra remembers this one...

1999- 1-5 Saints vs. 0-7 Browns. HD MM probably remembers this classic.

2004- 49ers vs. Dolphins. 20 years ago, they had only three losses combined when they met in Super Bowl XIX. When they met 20 years later, both teams were 1-9. Ye gods!

2005- 2-13 Texans vs. 3-12 49ers. This was dubbed 'Bush Bowl' (Reggie, that is). Yet, neither team got him. (I think Williams will revert to mediocrity- 2007 was a fluke).

I sure do remember that Colts-Patriots game. The media dubbed it the "Toilet Bowl". And you're right, my friend, that game was exhibit A of why I find it ironic that the Colts/Pats today is one of the best rivalries in sports.

HD MM, remember when a winless Browns team played a one-win Saints team on Halloween day 1999?

That game, to me, seemed like a classic example of what I meant in this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)