Evu to SC switch: questions & comments

TNnavearam

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I used to have Bell, now have SC - mostly for HD. I have some questions for the experts, concerning the OTA antenna.

1. On the Bell 9200 the "local" digital OTA antenna channels can be tuned in and watched via the satellite receiver. The SC 530 has an antenna input, but no such capability. What is the point of the SC antenna input? (Seriously!)

2. Now that the 9200 is out of use, is it possible to use it as an ASTC tuner and DVR for the local OTA channels (no satellite input)? If so what does one have to do?

Comments: I find the PQ on SC is at least as good for the HD channels, and the lack of need for a switch is good. However, the user interface, guide, and operation are not as advanced. Maybe this will change with the 630.

1) That antenna input is for a UHF remote. There is no OTA connection on *C receivers.

2) I believe you should be able to use the 9200 for OTA. I'm not sure what happens if the receiver is de-activated. Someone else may know better but as long as it is not connected to Bell that should not happen anyway.

Lots of the smart features on Bell do not exist on *C like word search, dual tuner record and a more detailed guide. Like you I hope the next generation will be better.

Thanks - actually on the back of the 530 there is a connection for the UHF remote antenna, and a second connection labeled "antenna in". I can't figure out what it's for.

Also - I tried hooking up the now disconnected 9200 strictly as a receiver for OTA with an OTA antenna input hooked up, but it refuses to give me the menu for "local channels". My understanding (or guess) is that it only works if it is also hooked up to the satellite, but I wondered if there is a way around this. As I said, I want to use it strictly for OTA. Even though as you say it does have much nicer features than the 530.

Last edited:
They probably lock it out when it isn't subscribed.

On Nov 19th you can pre-order the DTVPal DVR for OTA and will handle HD. The price is $299.00 but if you pre-order you will get an instant savings of $50.00.

Echostar TR-50 (DTVPal DVR) HDTV DVR: Official Thread - AVS Forum

I believe the second antenna in & out is to let your cable or antenna feed pass through when the receiver is turned off but not when it is on. It is like a switch that probably 99.9% of the people would not use. :confused:

Last edited:
The 505 and 530 receivers can be upgraded with an ATSC module (same as the Voom 550 reciever). Unfortunately, SC software does not support the module and probably never will since most of their customers are rural with little possibility of reliable reception.

Hope this helps.

Bell HD in souther california

Bell vr. SC in SW FL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts