EXCLUSIVE: AT&T HomeZone First Look

Scott Greczkowski said:
Not even close. If you set a remote timer it could take your Tivo up to 24 hours to download the change in the timer. With Homezone it happens instantly.

Not if the tivo is connected to the internet, in that case it checks for changes once an hour.

Does anybody have any new information about this service? Has anyone successfuly had it installed yet?

I second the question - any more news? kept hearing through the spring that this would be simultaneously debuted in all 13 of at&t's states in July. It's only 1/2way, but I haven't heard another word about it recently.

I'm in Chicago, and moving in mid-August so the timing would be perfect if they would get this ball rolling soon so I don't have to bring my current receiver and then switch them out later.

I'm also a little nervous though about the rumor that they won't be installing in apartment buildings. Not sure how this can be true, how is it different from any other satellite install? Just the dish and a box, right? I'm also annoyed to hear that it could possibly be a new-customers only thing for the initial period. I really can't stand when companies do that - why do they not care about rewarding their current customers? Any solid news on either of these fronts?

I'm in an apartment, and can confirm that they won't do the install, even though I own the place. Kind of crazy if you ask me.

I live in Texas, in an AT&T area, and will have their DSL service.

How would I go about getting this receiver?

Yes, from stream - MXXX is the production version, others - gamma [like ReleaseToMarket]. Beta testing usually doing in house, opposite our opinion to name it as beta those _spooling_ software with strange names.

Yesterday and 7/14/06:
PID:08E0h, ID:02JC, FW:M101, Model:2W_MP.
PID:08EFh, ID:JXTC, FW:AFA1, Model:2W_MP.

7/02/06-7/05/06:
PID:08E0h, FW:M100, Model:2W_MP.
PID:08EFh, FW:AEK3, Model:2W_MP.

So, the M1.01 came between 7/5 and 7/14 ( no info between those dates ).

Last edited:
ATT launches Homezone TV and Internet service

http://today.reuters.com/stocks/Quo...N&symbol=Dish&storyID=50411+19-Jul-2006+RTRS;

NEW YORK, July 19 (Reuters) - U.S. phone company AT&T Inc. (T.N: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Wednesday it began marketing its AT&T Homezone, a long-awaited service that combines high-speed Internet and satellite television in one set-top box.

Homezone, which offers digital video recording, movies on demand, photo- and music-sharing, and Web-based remote access, is initially available in Ohio and San Antonio, Texas, ahead of a broader launch in coming months.

The new service comes as phone companies like AT&T and Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ.N: Quote, Profile, Research) launch various product bundles to compete against rival cable companies' all-in-one offerings of video, voice and Internet services.

Homezone is meant to be an alternative to AT&T's Web-based television service U-Verse, which runs on fiber optic networks, for customers who live in areas without fiber deployment, said AT&T spokesman Fletcher Cook.

AT&T has not announced any targets for Homezone sales.

It is aiming for 19 million U-Verse customers by 2008. U-Verse offers more capacity for quicker downloads with interactive capabilities, and is already available in San Antonio, where the company's headquarters are located.

AT&T's satellite TV partner is EchoStar Communications Corp. (DISH.O: Quote, Profile, Research).

Homezone will be available at various prices depending on features such as long-distance calling, channels and Internet speed. Bundled packages will cost around $80-$140 per month, versus the $70-$120 per month for the U-Verse bundle, a spokesman said.

AT&T U-Verse TV to Include NFL Network

San Antonio, Texas, July 13, 2006

AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) and NFL Network today announced a distribution agreement to deliver NFL Network programming as part of the AT&T U-verse TV channel lineup. Standard-definition and high-definition feeds of the NFL Network, as well as video on demand programming, will be available to AT&T U-verse TV subscribers.

Under the agreement, NFL Network will provide its 24-hour, year-round network to AT&T U-verse TV subscribers including: nearly 2,000 original hours of programming, which incorporates 168 game telecasts, including the Thursday-Saturday regular-season primetime games from the upcoming 2006 NFL season on high-definition and standard-definition feeds, as well as access to all key annual NFL events such as the preseason, regular-season, postseason, Super Bowl, Pro Bowl, NFL Scouting Combine, mini-camps, the NFL Draft, training camp and free agency news.

"AT&T U-verse is committed to offering the very best in entertainment and sports to our customers," said Dan York, head of programming, AT&T. "The NFL is the leading sports league, and we are pleased to offer its network and on-demand content, featuring the new Thursday and Saturday evening games in both standard-definition and high-definition."

"NFL Network is in sync with AT&T U-verse TV to provide an advanced and personalized entertainment experience," said Brian Decker, NFL Network's vice president of national accounts. "We are eager to be part of the AT&T U-verse experience and to further diversify our customer footprint by delivering NFL Network to U-verse subscribers."

AT&T U-verse TV is powered by Project Lightspeed, the company's initiative to expand the fiber-optics network deeper into neighborhoods to deliver U-verse TV, AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet, U-verse Enabled and, in the future, Voice over IP services. AT&T expects to reach nearly 19 million households by the end of 2008 as part of its initial deployment, using fiber-to-the-node (FTTN) and fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) technologies.

AT&T U-verse TV to Include Discovery Networks

San Antonio, Texas, July 11, 2006

AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) today announced a comprehensive agreement with Discovery Communications to deliver all of its U.S. linear TV networks, as well as high-definition and on demand services, as part of the AT&T U-versesm TV channel lineup.

The Discovery networks now available as part of AT&T U-verse TV include the following: Discovery Channel; TLC; Animal Planet; Travel Channel; Discovery Health Channel; Discovery Kids; Discovery Times Channel; The Science Channel; Military Channel; Discovery Home Channel; BBC America and FitTV. The agreement also includes distribution of Discovery's three U.S. Spanish-language networks — Discovery en Español, Discovery Kids en Español, Discovery Travel & Living (Viajar y Vivir) — as well as Discovery HD Theater, Discovery's 24-hour high-definition service and Discovery's on demand content.

"We are pleased to announce content agreements with today's most popular television networks and content providers, including Discovery, designed to deliver a truly revolutionary entertainment experience — centered around the consumer," said Dan York, head of programming, AT&T. "AT&T is delivering a robust and compelling television service, which will include the quality and engaging programming from our great partners at Discovery."

"Discovery is committed to providing the highest-quality programming services to viewers everywhere," said Bill Goodwyn, president, affiliate sales and marketing, Discovery Networks U.S. "We are pleased to be expanding the opportunity for consumers to experience our knowledge-filled brands and services."

AT&T U-verse TV is powered by Project Lightspeed, the company's initiative to expand the fiber-optics network deeper into neighborhoods to deliver U-verse TV, AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet, U-verse Enabled and, in the future, Voice over IP services. AT&T expects to reach nearly 19 million households by the end of 2008 as part of its initial deployment, using fiber-to-the-node (FTTN) and fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) technologies.

Poke, thanks for posting the news releases. I, for one, would like to see some official details concerning the packages and to whom this product is available.

ATT Official Web Site said:
Monthly $9.99 AT&T Homezone Enablement Fee applies and $5.98 per month DISH Network DVR service fee applies as part of AT&T | DISH Network service. Customers must have, or purchase, a compatible AT&T Wireless Gateway. Customer must be a new AT&T | DISH Network customer and a new or existing AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet customer and choose a combined bill for these services. Current AT&T | DISH Network customers cannot add AT&T Homezone service. AT&T Homezone receiver is leased from EchoStar Satellite L.L.C. Limit of one AT&T Homezone receiver per account. Other restrictions, including credit restrictions and qualification, apply. Service not available in all areas. Offer subject to change. Acceptance of AT&T Homezone Terms of Service required. Additional fees apply for premium content. Taxes and fees extra.

Answered my own question. :p

AT&T Requirements said:
  • An AT&T local phone line
  • AT&T | DISH Network Digital Satellite TV service (new subscribers only)
  • AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet service with an AT&T Wireless Gateway

Looking at the third bullet point, what is this "AT&T Wireless Gateway" option? Does this simply mean that I have to have wireless at home with my DSL? Does it have to be an AT&T product or can I be using a Linksys-type WiFi router? I did a Google search and found this, but it just looks like regular old WiFi to me.

The other thing I wonder is does the DISH service HAVE to go through AT&T? I hope not.

We will have AT&T DSL service.

I refused their wireless gateway since we don't need it since I'm purchasing a Linksys WRTSL54GS this weekend.

If I'm reading the features right, this could nearly compete with the Slingbox.

Guys...HomeZone and U-Verse are two completely different things. Just because ATT announces certain programming for U-Verse, does not mean HomeZome subscribers will get it. Unless DISH carries it, HomeZone subs are SOL. ATT will not be providing programming via IP for HomeZone, other than from it's VOD providers. In the case of VOD, it will not be live streaming, but DL'd for future viewing.

And, Neutron...Yes, the Dish service needs to be through ATT. HomeZone is an ATT product, a combination of ATT DSL and ATT Dish. You are billed by ATT for the complete HomeZone service.

I am assuming that the same old ATT Dish rules apply for new customers. That is, you need to have not had Dish service for a min of 6 months. So, if you want to sign up with ATT for HomeZone, you'd have to drop Dish for 6 months, and use an alternative such as D* or C*. (But, don't you use D*, anyway?)

BTW, the ATT Wireless Gateway is great. I used to have a seperate DSL modem and Wireless Router. The ATT 2Wire model has better range, and less clutter due to only one unit.

Oh yeah. It's not really like the SlingBox. The main purpose of the SlingBox is so you can set it up in some other city, or even country, and watch TV from there at home. Or, set one up at home, and watch TV at work. That sort of thing. (I will be setting one up at the MIL's house in Japan during our next visit. No more $25/mo for TVJapan!!!)

Last edited: