EXCLUSIVE: Dish Vip 622 & Vip 222 Specs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I would give anything for the OTA tuner to be able to show up on TV2. What a sneaky way for dish to make you pay for locals (that's if you want them to show up in the guide for TV2).

dlsnyder said:
Don't these DVRs just record the datastream in its native form, whatever it happens to be? It seems to me that the ViP 622 should be able to record longer when tuned to an MPEG-4 stream than when tuned to an MPEG-2 stream because of the greater compression. I remember the discussions about this when they started using stat mux a few years ago but don't recall what the conclusion was.
Correct mpeg4 recordings should save on disk space compared to mpeg2. What's saved to the hard drive is the same bit stream that is later un-encrypted and uncompressed.

hdtvdeprived said:
I would give anything for the OTA tuner to be able to show up on TV2. What a sneaky way for dish to make you pay for locals (that's if you want them to show up in the guide for TV2).
Sorry, OTA and sat. locals are two entirely different things.

Simon, I think that he is talking about wanting the OTA locals to be able to be seen on the TV2 output so that he doesn't have to pay for the locals over satellite. Thats the way I interpreted it but could be wrong.

The OTA tuner is not available on TV2 in dual mode because there is only one. It can be watched on TV2 in single mode. That is done to prevent the TV2 user from trying to watch live OTA and changing the channel for the TV1 user.

n0qcu said:
The OTA tuner is not available on TV2 in dual mode because there is only one. It can be watched on TV2 in single mode. That is done to prevent the TV2 user from trying to watch live OTA and changing the channel for the TV1 user.

Correct, therefore the need for a 2nd OTA tuner. I like how Directv's HD DVR's have one OTA input but has a two way splitter inside that goes to two OTA tuners so that you can watch and record two different programs off the antenna.

Eventually everyone will have to pay for locals whether you want them or not once they get all the local markets up.

BTW, you can watch OTA digitals on the 942's TV2, but the 942 needs to be recording an ATSC station at the time. Just go into the DVR menu, select the currently recording OTA program, fast-forward to the current time, and viola! "Live" OTA programming on TV2...

$$$$$

DishSatUser said:
So my Dishplayer 7200 finally bit the dust. Before I go to a 942 or another DVR solution, should I hold out for a couple of months on my 301 and upgrade to the ViP 622 when released?
What do you suspect it'll cost? I'll be out of luck if over $500.00, do you think there may be a lease deal?

If the p622 is more than 399 i wont buy it, ive got other toys i'd rather have. I'm
guessing 6-650

The only way I would consider It is if picture quality improved, which I doubt. Or if all the
features its speculated to have where actually available. :up

Stargazer said:
Eventually everyone will have to pay for locals whether you want them or not once they get all the local markets up.
Actually, ALL DHA customers are paying for locals whether they get them or not. ;)

Stargazer said:
I notice that they are going to continue the 322 name but add ViP to it b ut change the model numbers on the other ones a little.
I think it is a mistake to have the second tuner only 480i. They should have both tuners HD instead of just one. I guess they were trying to keep the price down on the receiver. They need a nonDVR dual tuner HD receiver.
I wonder if the ethernet will be for sharing the video on a home network as Shawn95GT is saying or if it will be used for broadband content or both.

Shared Mono Agile modulated output - this is weak also. The 622 is stereo.

I know DHA customers are but I think having all the local markets is a good excuse to charge everyone for them and not have the locals as listed seperate as another option to have in addition to the basic packages.

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but are there front back pictures somewhere? And does anyone know if there will be an s-video output?

cebbigh said:
Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but are there front back pictures somewhere? And does anyone know if there will be an s-video output?
I haven't seen any pictures anywhere. I'm sure there will be a s video output. I hope so. I use the one on the 811 to hook up to my DVD recorder.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
It's not that bizzarre because they're assuming that you're going to install this receiver to ONE HDTV and ONE SDTV. I think only the HD TiVo has 2 OTA tuners. The 942 also has only ONE OTA tuner. I guess you may want 2 OTA tuners to record one while watching another but DISH doesn't think that's necessary as none of their HD DVR's have that feature.
Whats a SDTv. Seriously my old pre-hdtv's are all relegated to game machine and not TV watching. Currently need 2 ViP622 replace my 2 921's and a 411/ViP211 to replace one of my 6000's. Better be a resonable replacemnet plan, and not one that only gives you a discount off just one replacement machine. No I don't want a rental program for each machine.

tnsprin said:
Whats a SDTv. Seriously my old pre-hdtv's are all relegated to game machine and not TV watching. Currently need 2 ViP622 replace my 2 921's and a 411/ViP211 to replace one of my 6000's. Better be a resonable replacemnet plan, and not one that only gives you a discount off just one replacement machine. No I don't want a rental program for each machine.

Yes i AGREE with this!! Not looking to rent machine's Also not looking to give my dvr's up for nothing!!!:eek:

BlackHitachi said:
Yes i AGREE with this!! Not looking to rent machine's Also not looking to give my dvr's up for nothing!!!:eek:

Can I ask why all you folks are so vehemently opposed to leasing/rental? In these heady days of constantly changing transmission and content specs and evolving hardware platforms...what makes more sense? I owned my D* equipment and I felt "locked in" to them and the limitations of my hardware investment--to me, leasing is the smart way to go. What am I not 'getting' here?

shanewalker said:
Can I ask why all you folks are so vehemently opposed to leasing/rental? In these heady days of constantly changing transmission and content specs and evolving hardware platforms...what makes more sense? I owned my D* equipment and I felt "locked in" to them and the limitations of my hardware investment--to me, leasing is the smart way to go. What am I not 'getting' here?
In my case, I want to own so that I can sub to just the HD stuff and tell E* to take their ATWhatever package and shove it.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
In my case, I want to own so that I can sub to just the HD stuff and tell E* to take their ATWhatever package and shove it.

Shawn

Yes this is what i like also I have been subbing to AEP since Voom went dark. When i had Voom i also had Dish for the HD!! I spend the money for High Def. If this sounds stuck up well so be it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts