Expected results with a 39"x23" dish...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WildeComputers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I've had my old Internet-based satellite dish fixed on G10R for the better part of two years now, and thought I was able to pick up another satellite or two before. So since the weather was nice here in SE MN, I set out to try and pick up AMC4 using my SF-95 sat finder. I thought I had it but never got anything, so I dragged out the small TV and receiver and the best I seem to get is 33% but it never locks. Finally admitting defeat, I moved it back to 123W and nailed it first try (ok, so I cheated as I marked the dish before I moved it). I tweaked it and locked TP 11800-V-26657 at 66%. For my setup, this is probably near perfect (I've never had this strong of a signal before). So I checked the markings and the skew is 28 and elevation is 31, so I think I had AMC4 earlier (skew 8 and elevation 39) but am wondering if my problem is the size of my dish, since it's 39"x23" (99cm x 58cm).

My question...what satellites should I expect to pick up with this dish? I thought I've read where other people have gotten other satellites besides G10R with this type of dish. If I can pick up another satellite or two, I was thinking of trying to purchase a motor. If I can't, I may pick up another LNB to try to get White Springs TV and just leave it stationary.

Sounds like a direcway dish, I have one but not using it (primestars are bigger!!) You should've prob gotten something on AMC4, its got some strong signals here at 32N . Are you sure you had it skewed correctly?
There's a bunch of foreign language channels, and some religious channels , and some scrambled channels of reg cable-type programming, you can hear the sound tho....A&E was on it a day or two ago.....might wanna try again.

So I checked the markings and the skew is 28 and elevation is 31, so I think I had AMC4 earlier (skew 8 and elevation 39) but am wondering if my problem is the size of my dish, since it's 39"x23" (99cm x 58cm).
that dish is fine for the size. I can pick up the strong stuff on AMC4 with a 22x20 DirecTv Phase II and a KU LNB so your 39x23 dish will work just fine. I'm only 50-75 miles NW of you :)

My question...what satellites should I expect to pick up with this dish? I thought I've read where other people have gotten other satellites besides G10R with this type of dish. If I can pick up another satellite or two, I was thinking of trying to purchase a motor. If I can't, I may pick up another LNB to try to get White Springs TV and just leave it stationary.

I use to have it on G3 a couple years ago (same dish). You can get all the KU satellites with that dish. With the oblong size it should help with interference issues on adjacent satellites.
AMC4 is about 38 here in Minneapolis. I would use one of the strong TP's from thelist (like 11822 H 5700) to get close then fine tune it. KUIL sometimes "sticks" where it takes 3-4 seconds to lock the signal.

Hey, thanks guys! I'll try again later this week or next weekend. Don't want to move it now, since the Superbowl will be on in a few hours (my HD receiver is still being repaired). I'm beginning to wonder if I wasn't just a little too west of AMC4 since it sounds like I should have gotten something to come in. I've never edited the TP's on my Fortec receiver, but maybe I should verify those with 'The List' to make sure I wasn't trying to find a TP that doesn't exist.

Status
Please reply by conversation.