Experience with that "other" site

Status
Not open for further replies.

aegrotatio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
A Public Bathroom
I have to say that Satelliteguys.us is the best site and I always enjoy the constructive and thoughtful conversations here.
Over on the "other" site today a moderator responded to one of my questions with a sarcastic comment. I detest sarcasm and responded that his response was useless and he shouldn't have bothered.
Hours later both posts are deleted without a PM or anything.

I just wanted to share that experience with you.

That is all.

Having been banned from there twice in one day (once from site, once from chatroom), for simply referring to something I learned here, I can tell you they are quite a different breed over there..

I have to say that Satelliteguys.us is the best site and I always enjoy the constructive and thoughtful conversations here.
Over on the "other" site today a moderator responded to one of my questions with a sarcastic comment. I detest sarcasm and responded that his response was useless and he shouldn't have bothered.

That is all.
Heck that happens to me here. Its a sign of poor moderation.

When I had Dish installed, a little over two years ago, I looked around for discussion forums. I came to the other site first. I registered, got a verification email, and verified. About an hour later I got an email throwing me out. No explanation. Just that I was out. I hadn't even signed in since I verified. Next I came across this site and stayed. Never went back to the 'other one'.

I know at least one of their mods is a Nazi. There was a discussion about the chances of Chicago landing the 2016 Olympics--every American should be behind that, IMHO--and it was brought up that governmental incompetency might doom the Windy City's chances. I expanded on this by mentioning the city's infamous tradition of corrupt politicians and that that might have an impact. I purposely didn't intend to get into a political discussion--politics is forbidden on DBSTalk--but I had to at least touch upon Chicago's history of political corruption and how it might hurt its chances of getting the 2016 Olympics.

Well, apparently, this post was construed by a specific mod as a direct response to his previous post where he criticized people for bashing Chicago. So, he deleted my post entirely, ostensibly saying, "political discussion is not permitted" on DBSTalk. I replied with a post that my original post WASN'T political--I was simply stating a topical fact--and that he deleted it because it countered his assertions and because he disagreed with my post (this mod does NOT like to be contradicted or shot down there). So what does he do? He issues an infraction against me and tells me that questioning of mods is not permitted there.

Another goose-stepper he seems to be.

Yes ,James the dish moderator at DBS TALK does NOT allow anyone to question him or contradict what he considers is fact. I was upset over last years hd price increase of $10.00. THAt and all the newer dish fees was the subject of my posts. Lot of people agreed with me and he couldn't stand it ,so he countered me in every post I made on the site no matter where I posted anything . He sent me harrassing pms till I had them turned off as an option. I eventualy gave up on the subject after telling him in the last pm that I wouldn't talk about the price increase any longer if he would stop cyber stalking me on the site making snide remarks on my posts and for him to stop sending me threatening harrassing pms. He finally stopped and I have not turned pms on as an option any longer on any of my web boards that I belong to. It really soured me on the entire web board experience at DBS-STalk website. OH I mean DBStalk website.:p

That is all.

I just joined this site today and wanted to jump in about this post as I have spent 3 years as memebers of other sitres, ie, that msn group and transmitter news forum and have really grown sick and tired of all the nepotism and crap talking they had. It seesm that unless you were a member of a certain group, you were always bashed and made fun of. Most releveant questions were answered with smart alec remarks and comments about people they didn't like.

Most sites seem to have maybe 5 guys who post 99% of all posts. I hope that what I have seen so far here is a indicator that this site is not among them.

I look forward to being a memeber and recieving as well as sharing things that help all.

But as much as anyone might want to deny this, there is a certain amount of that same stuff going on here. Maybe not so much with the mods, but the bashing does go on.

Unfortunately it comes with running a forum like this.

One person has an opinion and others will always think that persons opinion is wrong.

We try not to step in to break up stuff and hope things like this die naturally, as we don't want to edit peoples posts or worse delete posts entirely.

Reactions: NR2D
seems like the stress level here has gone up a few ticks since last week's uplink reports and whatever it was that was going on there. I try to stay out of such stuff, it isn't worth the stress (except maybe in the PIT) :D

I'm Just worried that we may be turning into them with some of the things that have happened in the past week. When Digi gets back (if he does). I'll feel better about the whole thing But stuff was still "moved to a private place" (deleted from my standpoint).

I really like coming here but the last week I've been iffy every time I logged on.

I can only imagine the debates you two posted over there.

James Long is a raving lunatic moron with a serious need to always be right. You're...well...It musta been interesting to watch.
I can't debate him, Ill be banned or the post deleted. Just like everyone else. Just have to take little jabs when you can or ask the right questions. That place is similar to Blu-ray.com forum

For the record, the discussion was about a technical question.
I surely expect politics and bashing to be deleted, but not due to remarks made in the context of an actual technical question.

I don't remember the last time I even went to dbstalk. I have posted thousands of times over there when Scott was a moderator over there then I would post and read at this site and dbstalk. Eventually I figured it was a waste to read and talk about the same things at both sites and seen that this was the site that would dominate so I just stayed with this one. I have had fewer issues here with people bashing me and so forth. I am glad to see this site be what it is today.

For some reason on DBS Talk there are never any unread forums listed. Also permission to any forum is not allowed. Something about permission. Maybe DBS Talk is shutting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts