Experimental setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

northgeorgia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
North GA
OK, so I think the 9120b motor has frozen up once again with my brother. I always reset it at the dish manually and try moving it with USALS using the microHD, but inside the home, he uses the Openbox s10 (with USALS). I have an old Traxis 3500 lying around. It's been about half a year since I used the motor on a consistent basis, but I remember not having quite so much trouble with the microHD or Traxis attached (some but not as frequent) as I did with the Openbox. I also got an old Mercury II Fortec Star STB with the dish purchase last week. It'd be nice to see if all of the blame lies with the motor or if the Openbox is partially guilty.

Unfortunately, my brother's TV only has HDMI inputs, and neither the Traxis nor the Fortec have HDMI outputs (being DVB-S STBs, why would they?). So, I was wondering if a set up like this would work after I curse and hopefully reset the motor:

* Incoming line from Satellite (LNB to motor, then motor into home...) connected to Traxis 3500 (set to USALS)
* Slave the Openbox s10 to the Traxis with a single coax. (I don't have a DC Voltage block that I read about in another thread. Will I need that? Don't want to blow something up!)
* Disable all motor movements on the Openbox s10
* Connect the Openbox s10 via HDMI cable to the TV.

- Change satellite positions with the Traxis and watch TV/select satellite list on Openbox. Of course, other than connecting a small screen to the Traxis, that still leaves the problem of figuring out which satellite I'm tuned to with the Traxis.

So... bad idea? Problems with the setup before I give it a try in the next few days? Suggestions (other than buying a new motor and nicer STB... sorry no cash right now!)?

I did basically the same thing when I first got my Openbox S9 3-4 years ago, except I used a CS6000 as the "master" receiver, sounds like what you are proposing would work fine.

After I got to learn and trust my S9, and realized it would move the dish as precisely as my old CS6000, the S9 became the master receiver, and I slaved my Az Elite to the S9.

Can't tell you about the DC blocks, I have never used one, slaved many receivers and never had an issue, maybe I just got lucky, so do it at your own risk. ;)

I know when I slave my 3500SD to the S9 it requires a DC block.
Maybe it's just necessary when the S9 is the Master??????
But you can turn off LNB power in the S9 Installation menu. So then don't need a block. Don't think you can 'fry' anything, if LNB power is ON and no block, just have unexpected operation difficulty.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)