ExpressVu card swap issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bent82

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Upper Peninsula Of Michigan
I am helping a family friend with a problem they are having with the ExpressVu card swap. They have 3 receivers, and were sent three new smart cards. One receiver, a model 3100, was not being used and was not connected, but they still took the old smartcard out and threw it away and put the new one in. They called me the other day and asked me to help get it hooked up again. I was under the impression that is was not disconnected from the service for long, but apparently it was, as it only had software version E469 on it. According to bell, it needs to have version E6xx on it to work with the new smart cards. So because if this, it the smart card number is showing up as S000000000 (not sure on the number of 0's, but you get the idea.) The receiver will not download new software, and on bell's website they say to put the old smart card back it to let it update. But they no longer have the old card. Is there anything I can do to force a download? Thanks for your help.

Try putting the new smart card into the receiver and try doing a check switch.
If it will check the switch, when its finished, shut off the Bell receiver with the remote and it will turn itself on and do a software update and load a guide.
Worth a try.

Remember seeing methods people used back in the day when the other card swap was done to force download of old boxes that were offline. Something about shorting out some pins that caused the receiver to think the box was corrupt so it downloaded the latest firmware.

At bells smartcard swap website they even say to put in the old card to update the software. I tried putting in an old dish network card I had, I don't have any expressvu ones as I am not canadian. No luck. I may have to call support to see if they have any ideas.

I also read about the shorting pins thing while researching this problem, it seems that by shorting pins the firmware gets corrupted and the unit goes into a safe mode in which it will download new firmware from the satellite. Apparently this was used in the days of dish network and expressvu hacking, the receivers are the same hardware but different software, this way you could convert receivers to the other provider. But it seems very dangerous to me, and I would like to avoid this kind of drastic step.

Your first mistake was not reading the instructions.....

It clearly says to ONLY discard the OLD card when the NEW Card is working correctly...

It a receiver displays S0000000000, it will require the Card re-inserting, which will force a Guide Download. Removing the Card again will now display the correct S04 #. At this point you can verify the Software and update as required.

You my friend are out of luck.

Unless you can use one of the other S04 Cards, that you removed (unless you have disposed of them). Then you just have to pray that you get an understanding CSR when you call. It is possible to re-activate the receiver with another S04 Card but it will depend on the CSR.

My suggestion, to save time and effort is to buy another receiver.

Your first mistake was not reading the instructions.....

It clearly says to ONLY discard the OLD card when the NEW Card is working correctly...

It a receiver displays S0000000000, it will require the Card re-inserting, which will force a Guide Download. Removing the Card again will now display the correct S04 #. At this point you can verify the Software and update as required.

You my friend are out of luck.

Unless you can use one of the other S04 Cards, that you removed (unless you have disposed of them). Then you just have to pray that you get an understanding CSR when you call. It is possible to re-activate the receiver with another S04 Card but it will depend on the CSR.

My suggestion, to save time and effort is to buy another receiver.

Again, it wasn't myself but a family friend, elderly at that, who don't understand anything that has a digital circuit in it.

I did find one of their old cards, not the one for that one receiver but a different one, and tried it, but according to your post I will have to call to even have a chance for that one to work. I was afraid of that. Thank you for confirming anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)