Ext HD question

tempVAdish

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Temperanceville, VA
Ok, so tonight my 622 has stopped communicating w/ my EXT that's been attached for almost 1 1/2 years. I've tried a new cable and power supply. My question is that since I cannot connect the HD to windows to verify operation, if I change the enclosure, will the 622 recognize it as the same hard drive, or will it want to reformat it as a new one?

(here's what it's doing): It will see the drive when I plug it in, but will not transfer a show to it. It begins like it's going to work, then wigs out. I try to transfer a 30min HD show, and it starts w/ 13mins remaining, counts down to about 12min 45sec, then jumps up to 2hours and some minutes. If I cancel the transfer and try "manage" to watch a show that's on it, the 622 locks completely up, never giving the list on the EXT, and I have to reboot...

I have a lot of shows for my little girl on the EXT and would hate to think it's all lost, but really don't want to run the risk of it formatting it if I change the enclosure.

Thanks for any input!

I hear ya. I wish they still had thee u where you could type in the ts code 005 and send it yourself. IIRC that stopped a long time ago

Ok, swapped enclosures but all I had was a USB 3.0 enclosure. The 622 said incompatible device, put it back in the 2.0 and same issues as my first post. Does the 622 not like USB 3.0 drives? I'm probably hosed then since all you can get now is 3.0 stuff...

Grrr!

I've used USB3 WD My Passport disks in 500G, 1T and 1.5T sizes on my 612 and they worked. Not supported and not supposed to work at all, but they do.

So, the 622 is really this finicky? Had a spare laptop drive, 320G, in a rocketfish enclosure, external power, and USB 2.0. 622 says incompatible USB device. Is it the devices, or has my 622 USB port died?

Also, is the Hopper compatible with USB 3.0 drives?

Thanks,
Rob

USB 3 is backward compatible with USB 2. But will only work at USB 2 speeds when connected to a USB 2 port.

It MIGHT be a software problem. Might not. Might be time to try to clone the drive.

Reactions: TheKrell
USB 3 is backward compatible with USB 2. But will only work at USB 2 speeds when connected to a USB 2 port.

It MIGHT be a software problem. Might not. Might be time to try to clone the drive.
Are all 3.0's backwards compatible, because I have heard otherwise from (it's a terrible source) the blue shirts at best buy geek squad. Also, a couple years ago, was looking at them on newegg and it said not all are backwards compatiable as well. I saw a lot of issues when I was doing tech calls from customers trying to use 3.0 and then swapped down to a 2.0 and issue resolved.

Are all 3.0's backwards compatible, because I have heard otherwise from (it's a terrible source) the blue shirts at best buy geek squad. Also, a couple years ago, was looking at them on newegg and it said not all are backwards compatiable as well. I saw a lot of issues when I was doing tech calls from customers trying to use 3.0 and then swapped down to a 2.0 and issue resolved.

I've not personally every come across a USB3 device that wouldn't work in a USB2 port by simply falling back down to USB2 speeds. I'm pretty certain that requiring USB2 fallback compatibility is part of the USB3 spec.

I've not personally every come across a USB3 device that wouldn't work in a USB2 port by simply falling back down to USB2 speeds. I'm pretty certain that requiring USB2 fallback compatibility is part of the USB3 spec.

That's what I figured too, my desktop was built before USB 3.0 & I have no issues with the drives that are new, & I have several. So why do you suppose the 622 says the 3.0 is incompatible? I guess the world may never know...

So, tonight I ordered a replacement control board for the EXT. Should be here by Monday. However, connected to my computer and Seagate diags showed me 4 partitions, so I may only be waiting till Monday to see that I need a replacement receiver.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Got the new controller for the EXT and no joy... The 622 will try to send a recording to it and fail miserably, as far as trying to read from it, it locks up before the recording list gets populated. Think I'm going to have to call, or chat w/ the DIRT team to get a new 622 on the way :(