External GenieGo support being withdrawn

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Whatever the CSR tells you you can't be guaranteed an HR54 unless you already have a 4K TV and you are taking a 4K upgrade.

At least when a tech comes to the house to swap receivers you get a receipt and its his problem if it goes missing.

unless the tech uses your receiver to buy a bunch of ppv before sending it back.

the in house and HSP guys use FSTP. that will deactive the receiver in order to activate the new one. so the tech in those cases cant use it to buy PPV.

the in house and HSP guys use FSTP. that will deactive the receiver in order to activate the new one. so the tech in those cases cant use it to buy PPV.

my personal experience says otherwise, $50 worth of ppv ordered sat/sun, when the tech took the receiver on thursday.
customer service fixed it eventually

The HR44 so far has been fast! No slow downs at all, night and day difference between it and the HR34. It did have to reboot 4 or 5 times after it was activated. Now I just have to set up my scheduled recordings, and I have a lot of them, that's the only real pain. As I expected, I now have my real locals again. Many years ago I 'moved', then two years ago I had to 'move' back, when I needed a tech to come out, but for whatever reason my locals never changed back. Now I'm receiving my real locals on my HR44, and still have my 'moved' locals on the HR24.

I like the smaller footprint of the HR44, but I really wish these companies wouldn't go so small with their components to where they require an external PSU brick. Having a 7.1 system, 8 main components, plus little things like the DECA, Kinect sensor and my SiriusXM module I have more cables and wires then I care to, and it's a pain to manage them, and when these brinks are involved it gets ridiculous. I had everything fairly neat, but last month I exchanged cable box, and that has a different bower brick then my last one, and now with the new DirecTV box. Also, I have to say, I didn't expect to, but I really like the new remote.

So far no empty box to send the old one back. If I don't get one tomorrow I'll call. This process is very disconcerting. Shouldn't the the box the new receiver came in have instructions or some type of info explaining this process? Maybe the people I talked to on the phone mentioned it, but who knows since I couldn't understand them. And why don't they either just ship the box the HR came in, in a larger box and include the label, or just include the label so I can place it on top of the label with my shipping info on it? You know, like how other major companies handle this. Normally I would be cool with it, but this is literally the spawn of Satan we're talking about. (AT&T Corporation = Satan, their child Southwestern Bell currently known as AT&T, Inc is the new Satan). And I'd trust drinking Mexican tap water while watching a Brian Williams news report before I'd ever trust AT&T to do anything right..

the external power brick does have its benefits. reduces heat from inside the receiver itself (less fan noise) and im sure it helped reduce the overall height. plus the cord is longer for those times when you need a long power cable, just use a zip tie or rubber band to coil it up. until power over USB 3.0 is the standard (it'll do what, 100 watts?) you're going to have these power bricks. even then you'll just have a USB power brick, so its a horse a piece.

Fan noise really doesn't bother me. In the summer, my window A/C unit is so loud, I have to jack up my A/V receiver a good 5-7 decibels just to hear what I'm watching drowning everything else out. The fan on my laptop sounds like a mini jet taking off, if I do something as simple as opening up Microsoft Word. Fan noise, bright blinking LEDs, bright clock displays and such don't bother me like they tend to some people. My problem with the bricks is where do I put them. Over the summer I got a new computer desk, and as I was setting everything up, I took heavy duty double sided tape and stuck all the bricks to the back of the desk, coiled up all the cables and made it somewhat neat.

With the way my entertainment center is, it's more difficult to do something like that, plus I plug nothing directly into the wall. Everything is going though an APC Power Conditioner. At least these aren't the big A/C adapters that block adjacent outlets when you plug them in. I have 11 devices plugged in at my desk, but because some of these things take up so much space, I have to run two UPS units,with 10 outlets each to make sure I can get everything plugged in.

I called DirecTV, the lady I talked to who was actually very nice and friendly was in the middle of processing having an empty box with a prepaid label shipped to me and then said they actually don't want my HR34 back. Can't say I blame them, I wouldn't want that POS back either. She told me to recycle it. I guess I jumped to conclusions unfairly, but I plan on hanging on to the HR34 for a long long time, in case there is ever an issue with non returned equipment.

I am having a terrible time with DirectTV and this Geniego offer. We got the email and have had the Geniego (paid for it) a couple of years. DirectTV is no longer going to support. We called today and when all is said and done after being on the call for almost 2 hours, there is a 2 year commitment.......?????? What? The email clearly states there will be NO cost and NO change to our current account. We have been with DirectTV for 16 years. Long story short to just get off the call we agreed to the 2 year commitment. Any thoughts on what we should do here? Anyone else get a complete run around when making this change?

I am having a terrible time with DirectTV and this Geniego offer. We got the email and have had the Geniego (paid for it) a couple of years. DirectTV is no longer going to support. We called today and when all is said and done after being on the call for almost 2 hours, there is a 2 year commitment.......?????? What? The email clearly states there will be NO cost and NO change to our current account. We have been with DirectTV for 16 years. Long story short to just get off the call we agreed to the 2 year commitment. Any thoughts on what we should do here? Anyone else get a complete run around when making this change?

what receiver do you have?
and what d you want?

thats a substantial upgrade (dvr to genie)
do you have more than 1 receiver?
it will also cost more per month

yes we have 2 one upstairs and one downstairs and then we have the Geniego unit that we purchased. I just don't understand why the email they sent states upgrade at no cost and no changes to your current plan then you call and they make all sorts of changes. I did read on another blog (AT&T in fact) that customers are all having the same issues when they call. Most of the Customer Service reps don't even know about the email that was sent out......it is crazy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)