External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

UPDATE:

Moved the 3rd item on it's own - no problem. Moved the 2nd item on it's on - same problem. Maybe it is just to large to handle (17.2 GB - 2:34).

The program is Peter Gabriel:Growing Up recorded from RAVEHD.

UPDATE:

Moved the 3rd item on it's own - no problem. Moved the 2nd item on it's on - same problem. Maybe it is just to large to handle (17.2 GB - 2:34).

The program is Peter Gabriel:Growing Up recorded from RAVEHD.
There is some kind of bug, I just finished sending a 2hr 34 min hd movie and it took well over 3 hrs before I got the download complete message, You might try I HD movie at a time, maybe while your sleeping, that way you won't get stressed and stop the tranfer.
Dan

There is some kind of bug, I just finished sending a 2hr 34 min hd movie and it took well over 3 hrs before I got the download complete message, You might try I HD movie at a time, maybe while your sleeping, that way you won't get stressed and stop the tranfer.
Dan

That's what I did, but even after an hour the one movie that was over 2:30 crapped out even when it was being moved all by it's self ( total time = blank no progress on the green bar). I will give it another shot tonight.

Has anyone successfully moved an HD program over two and a half hours to the eternal drive?

That's what I did, but even after an hour the one movie that was over 2:30 crapped out even when it was being moved all by it's self ( total time = blank no progress on the green bar). I will give it another shot tonight.

Has anyone successfully moved an HD program over two and a half hours to the eternal drive?

What is your external drive brand?

I am having the same problem. After my first transfer I had to unplug my Seagate Hard Drive and then it transferred ok. I got on line with Seagate(Chat) and he told me that there was no way their Hard Drives Support any Dish Rec. He ended up hanging up on me. So much for help from Seagate Support. I guess this is normal to unplug it each time you transfer. I have transferred over 4 Hours of HD. Is the yellow light on the front of the Seagate desktop always on. How do you power it down without unplugging it?

Last edited:
I am having the same problem. After my first transfer I had to unplug my Seagate Hard Drive and then it transferred ok. I got on line with Seagate(Chat) and he told me that there was no way their Hard Drives Support any Dish Rec. He ended up hanging up on me. So much for help from Seagate Support. I guess this is normal to unplug it each time you transfer. I have transferred over 4 Hours of HD. Is the yellow light on the front of the Seagate desktop always on. How do you power it down without unplugging it?

Too bad about Seagate's tech support. that sucks..I would dash an email off to their CEO about putting their rep on Dish bragging about their drives then telling customers who have problems they don't support Dish receivers.
I am sorry now I did not return mine just on principle, but I have it working. Too much hassle at this point.
You just unplugged it once? Have you tried to delete events in the Seagate.
Nothing seemed to work well without using FreeAgent Pro tools to defeat the spin down feature.

Here's a couple of suggestions on avoiding it running 24/7.

1. Connect it to a switched AC socket on the back of your a/v receiver if it has one. I take it the receiver is usually on when you would use your ext. drive.

2. If you have a power conditioner some have a 12v trigger input from a/v receivers or amps you can use to switch other components plugged into the conditioner off and on when the rec. or amp is switched.

3. Amazon sells this: It will sense your TV or other devices powering up or down and turn off your HD if it's plugged into it.

Amazon.com: Energy Saving Smart Strip with Autoswitching Technology: Home Improvement

Good luck, sorry for your experience.

What is your external drive brand?

The case is a generic USB 2.0/iEEE1394 case with an Oxford 911 chip, the drive is a Seagate EIDE 16mb, ata/100.

I see some folks are having Seagate issues, but I thought the Seagate issues were limited to the Seagate brand external drives, not the internal EIDE. In my case the 622 shouldn't care who the drive manufacturer is, just that the chipset is compatible.

I should mention that it is a problem with only the one program. Everything else has transferred just fine.

Has anyone noticed the transfer hang up, show no progress on the status bar and have the time remaining be blank?

DSCF1974.jpg

There we go again. Everything except for this one program will transfer. I am going to re-recorded it the next time it comes on and try again. Maybe something got weird when it first recorded. I've watched 75% of it and it seems fine. I will report back.

DSCF1974.jpg

There we go again. Everything except for this one program will transfer. I am going to re-recorded it the next time it comes on and try again. Maybe something got weird when it first recorded. I've watched 75% of it and it seems fine. I will report back.

Just because you do not see a time remaining does not mean it is not moving it. This is a known bug and it has happened multiple times to me. I just waited an hour and checked back and it said it was finished.

Just because you do not see a time remaining does not mean it is not moving it. This is a known bug and it has happened multiple times to me. I just waited an hour and checked back and it said it was finished.

I'm not saying it didn't work for you, but I took that pic after nearly an hour. I have transfered other movies over two hours, but not quite as big as that one, that never locked up like that.

Anyway, I am DVRing it again Friday and I will try again.

Last edited:
I get the no status bar even with PocketDish. This has been a known bug with all usb transfers for a long time. I'm not sure which software update started the problem but it has been going on for months with PD. Even to the extent that sometimes the thing locks up and you have to soft reboot the 622. However, as long as you give it time, it will transfer.

I'm not saying it didn't work for you, but I took that pic after nearly an hour. I have transfered other movies over two hours, but not quite as big as that one, that never locked up like that.

Anyway, I am DVRing it again Friday and I will try again.

Do you see any activity on the light(s) on your hard drive indicating that data is been transferred when this message is displayed?

Do you see any activity on the light(s) on your hard drive indicating that data is been transferred when this message is displayed?

Yes, the activity light is on.

I guess I should be trusting that, and not the status bar. From now on I will just let the transfer go unless it takes like 5 hours!

Yes, the activity light is on.

I guess I should be trusting that, and not the status bar. From now on I will just let the transfer go unless it takes like 5 hours!

Since it is just the one program that is locking up, maybe there is a file problem with it. However, you might want to invest in an enclosure with the Cypress chipset if your problems continue. A small price to pay to see if the Oxford chipset has a problem.

This may have already been covered since I haven't read all of the previous 37 pages of messages. Forgive me if this is a repeat.

I've been leaving my FreeAgent 750 on overnight and all my timers seem to be working well. I can even play movies from the FreeAgent after one failure trying to manage the drive. I get the activation screen, click Ok and then try to manage the drive again. I can play movies on the external drive but I cannot copy over new movies to the external drive. If I power cycle the USB drive I can copy movies again.

Anyone hear when Dish is going to be fixing this problem?

This may have already been covered since I haven't read all of the previous 37 pages of messages. Forgive me if this is a repeat.

I've been leaving my FreeAgent 750 on overnight and all my timers seem to be working well. I can even play movies from the FreeAgent after one failure trying to manage the drive. I get the activation screen, click Ok and then try to manage the drive again. I can play movies on the external drive but I cannot copy over new movies to the external drive. If I power cycle the USB drive I can copy movies again.

Anyone hear when Dish is going to be fixing this problem?

It's not a Dish problem, I wouldn't expect any updates. You are supposed to turn off your drive and unplug it when not using it. It is for archives, not for an extended drive.

You can fix your own problem by using the Seagate utilities to turn off the Sleep Interval so that it does not power down the USB connection if you want to leave it on all the time.

It's not a Dish problem, I wouldn't expect any updates. You are supposed to turn off your drive and unplug it when not using it. It is for archives, not for an extended drive.

I disagree. The fact that my drive can recover from sleep mode and play movies but cannot be written to is a problem in the Dish software. I suspect that mere retries won't solve the problem though since I've tried several times to write a file after sleep and it has never worked.

As for archive versus extended, we're in disagreement here as well. An archive only drive would not be able to play movies directly from it. The external drive can play movies directly from it indicating that these should be just as available as recordings on the main unit.

Does anyone know if the disk on the main unit spins down if the drive isn't used for an extended period of time?

Especially considering that this feature was introduced using a Seagate spokesperson I hope that Dish will continue work to make this feature fully functional without requiring the external drive to be constantly running.

As far as I know neither Echostar or the Ext HDD manufacturers say the drive cannot be left on 24/7 (though I tend to keep an eye on how hot the case is getting). Can you provide a quote ?

What if you start a bunch of downloads before going to sleep. Then forget about it the next morning and go to work. The think could easily be on for 24 hours.

There's no reason HDD spin down should be breaking things. PC's do it all the time. Dish can fix this IF they want to.

PS: I do pull mine when I'm not using it. Probably mostly because I don't trust it not to gum up the box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)