External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

No it is something about the WD drives. I have a Maxtor that works on both receivers and two WD drives. One of the WD drives I use with my PC and I verified it works, and connected it to the 622. It gave me the same "feature not currently supported" message. It did not ask to format the drive or anything.

I have two of the WDElements drives. One I used for the DVR, the second was for my PC. I took the second one and connected it to the DVR and it did not ask to format it. It gave me the same "not supported" message.

I then put it back on my PC and it was still working fine. My point here is that there is nothing wrong with WD drive I was using on the DVR but for some reason the 622 software has a problem with all similar WD drives.

I downloaded PCLinuxOS and tried to look at the DVR formatted drive. All I saw was a directory called "DiskArc" with no files in it. Was I supposed to see file names?

How can I use Linux to move the stuff on this drive to a supported drive?

I have a WD WDElements 750 GB ehd. It has been working fine since I bought it last November. My 622's got updated to L621 on 6/16/09. Now when I try to look at the contents of my WD drive it says "This feature is currently not supported".

The 622 recognizes when I connect and disconnect the drive, but the "My Media" folder does not show up under "My Recordings" anymore.

I have another drive, a Maxtor, that is still working fine.

Any ideas?

Sounds like your dvr is not recognising The format of the hard drive.
I just installed a new Wd drive and had the same problem. It also Recognized my other drive. I formatted the drive with my computer (NTFS). Moved drive to DVR,
then it was recognized and formated, now it works fine.
Good Luck.

Train99, were you getting the "feature not supported" message too with your WD drive? Are you running L621?

I have another WD drive that was formatted with FAT32 and I put it on the DVR and still got the "feature not supported" message. Does it make a difference between NTFS and FAT32?

Train99, were you getting the "feature not supported" message too with your WD drive? Are you running L621?

I have another WD drive that was formatted with FAT32 and I put it on the DVR and still got the "feature not supported" message. Does it make a difference between NTFS and FAT32?

Yes , I was getting "feature not supported" Only on the WD drive

Using L621 WD drive formated as Fat32
Feature not Supported
Formated as NTFS on Computer
When I put it back on 722, message Drive nees to be formated, replyed yes
After 722 restarted all OK

I have a 750 GB wd on my 622 and sometimes it freezes on playback. Sometimes is says no external HD connected. Rebooting everything usually fixes both problems, its just annoying.

I have a 750 GB wd on my 622 and sometimes it freezes on playback. Sometimes is says no external HD connected. Rebooting everything usually fixes both problems, its just annoying.
This is probably a failing USB port on the receiver itself (given the track record of some of the 622's). While it may not be aesthetically pleasing, you can try connecting it to the front USB port (assuming you're currently using the rear port) to see if it resolves your issue. Not that you have to live with that, though. It'll just be a way of isolating the issue. If it turns out to be the case, you can probably get your receiver swapped out by DISH (maybe even upgraded to a 722).

If that doesn't resolve the issue, try using a new USB cable.

I followed Train99's advice and reformatted my fat32 drive as NTFS and to my surprise, the 622 DVR did ask for it to be formatted and it worked! Thanks!

So after I sent a DVR event to the drive, I put it back on my PC on looked at it suing PCLinux. There were 3 partitions, two (500 and 212 GB) of which had a DishArc directory but only one that had something in a DishArc directory. This was the biggest partition, 500 GB.

Then I looked at my problem drive and the there is one partition with an empty DishArc (212 GB), one partition with no DishArc, and one partition I can not mount. Attempting to mount gives the following error:

[root@localhost media]# mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc2 /media/dvr
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc2,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

[root@localhost media]#

So it looks like all my saved recording were in this partition and I can not read them. Anybody know anyway to recover this data?

Then I looked at my problem drive and the there is one partition with an empty DishArc (212 GB), one partition with no DishArc, and one partition I can not mount. Attempting to mount gives the following error:

[root@localhost media]# mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc2 /media/dvr
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc2,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

[root@localhost media]#

So it looks like all my saved recording were in this partition and I can not read them. Anybody know anyway to recover this data?

Under lunux, try running "sudo e2fsck /dev/sdxxx" on all partitions of the problem drive (you need to be a super user/administrator).

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-drive-archive-bug-thread-53.html#post1797427

Under lunux, try running "sudo e2fsck /dev/sdxxx" on all partitions of the problem drive (you need to be a super user/administrator).

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-drive-archive-bug-thread-53.html#post1797427I tried the command above this morning. The results do not look good.

[root@localhost mnt]# sudo e2fsck /dev/sdb2
e2fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb2

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

[root@localhost mnt]# sudo e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sdb2
e2fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb2

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

The other two partitions did not have a problem.

I would appreciate any more ideas.

Sounds like your Linux distro may not be current enough to recognize and support the necessary filesystem. As I recall, the ext3 filesystem is used.

Sounds like your Linux distro may not be current enough to recognize and support the necessary filesystem. As I recall, the ext3 filesystem is used.

I'm using PC LinuxOS v9.0. It does recognize the ext3. The other two partitions on this drive are ext3. This problem partition, it just doesn't know what to do with it.

It was formatted by the VIP 622 several months ago and within the last couple of weeks, became unusable.

Thanks for the info on finding the SuperBlock (this is beyone my skill level). I too, had a Superblock problem, but the e2fsck (Unbuntu 8 release) was able to recover it.

It's good to have additional ways to recover from this error.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)