External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

Not sure what Dish did with the latest code release for the 622, but in the last month I've had to run e2fsck on my external hard drive 3 times... I may break down and end up reformatting my drive but I wanted to post some screenshots of the repair process I've been using incase it helps anyone else out. If your my media folder is intermittently working or not showing up at all or you are getting the 'feature not supported' error give this guide a try. I know the e2fsck commands are listed in several threads but I wanted to try to put it all together in an easy to follow process with screenshots along the way.

I used vmware to run this under a VM in my guide just to make it easier to take screenshots of the process.
-Matt

Attachments

• External HD Repair Guide.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 920
vip 622 recognizes ext HD, but missing files

1st Presentation I have a vip 622, my 2nd one after the first one failed after about a year, and a simpletech 500 gb ext hd that has worked fine for 6 months. I had about 100 shows and movies taking up 350 gb of space. On about July 3, my 622 no longer recognized the shows, but still recognized the drive with 150 gb of space. Meaning that the old shows are still, there but not recognized.

It will transfer new shows back and forth now, but will no longer recognize the existing 350 gb of shows.

What do you recomend that is the easiest.
connect to computer and have disk manager recognize the partitions?
or use the linux boot cd to test out the files in linux?

or use the linux boot cd to test out the files in linux?

Then, grab an ubuntu boot disk

1) boot it
2) plug in the usb drive
3) use the "partition editor" to figure out the device name (/dev/sdxx)
(menu -> administrative tools)
4) quit the parition editor
5) right-click the icons on the left and unmount the drive
6) Open a terminal (command line)
(menu -> applications (something like))
7) run check disk:
sudo e2fsck -f -C 0 /dev/sdx1
sudo e2fsck -f -C 0 /dev/sdx2
sudo e2fsck -f -C 0 /dev/sdx3
(the 750 gig drive will have 3 paritions)

Well, you got a lot of info here and at other site; just little tidbit - be more proactive and gather all posted info regarding content of the EHD. Same time I wouldn't recommend the 'SimpleTech' disks for archiving, it had short history on a market to judge its reliability.

I appreciate Matt putting all that in one document. If you read my past posts to this forum, what Matt shows in his file is what I had to do to fix my problem. Except that after I ran the e2fsck with the superblock info from testdisk I had to copy it to a blank drive that the 622 had just formatted because it would not recognize the hard drive.

50 hrs now history

I recently got the new 722k and I have a 1Tb ext HDD. I had been transferring all shows from my 622 to it so I wouldn't loose them (some are saying AI know where is going). Well when I got the new K I hooked it up to it. Well it was saying you need to format the HDD. Told it no then I called the 'TECH support" line not the usual CSR. Went thru stuff over & over and was telling them it was unacceptable to format the HDD. Went thru over half hr of t-shooting. They then said that there was no way around it. 2 wks later I'm still PO'd about it. There really should have been no reason to format a HDD that was already on my account will the 622. Around 50 hrs of stuff that will not be replaceable. Now I have another 500 Gb that was hooked up to the previous 622. It is completely full of irreplaceable video. Will I have the same problem if so is there a work around for it?

No need to reformat. Just call them and give them the receiver ID's (they should have them) of your receivers. The Housecode (Menu-6-3-counters-six page downs) needs to be the same as the receiver that created the drive. The encryption on the files on the drive is set by housecode which is tied to your account. Someone was lazy when you got your new receiver and didn't add it to the original download.

All they have to do is send a hit to all your receivers to set the Household code. You'll freak out the 17 year old CSR when you actually give them the Household code, receiver ID's and that you need them to send a hit to all your receivers to set the code.

Oh, and BTW, after the hit you will need to do a power-off (plug pull) reset of the new receiver to get it to accept the code.

Your EHD will then work with all your receivers and you don't need to format.

Call back the tech support guy and suggest he get a job at a Walmart as a greeter!

No need to reformat. Just call them ... send a hit to all your receivers to set the Household code.
Oh, and BTW, after the hit you will need to do a power-off (plug pull) reset of the new receiver to get it to accept the code.
Your EHD will then work with all your receivers and you don't need to format.
You do not even need to reboot and it can be done while you record (622/722/712).

The household code are not always identical but was different. One of my 722s was different by 2 in the last digit, but works for my zoo of drives. How do they change the code but the disks still work?
-Ken

Oh, that one? Nope - not that meaning what he pushed out. He could say "I think", but not by that categorized tone. It's used for unlock DVR in case of forgotten password.

Smith,

Sorry, I know you are a prolific poster here, but on this one I have to stand my ground. The household code is what's used to encrypt and allow moving of EHD's between receivers.

I told you where I found the mythical code (I'll await your appology at any time for flaming me without provocation) if you bothered to read my post. Menu-6-3-Six page downs.

I don't mind being corrected but I do resent being flamed 'Mythical????, I think not!' for no apparent reason just because you think you're some hot S(((T.

It's posts like yours that drive contributors away or prevent them from asking honest questions.

My suggestion, get off your tall horse and offer the solution instead of flaming people.

Sorry dude, I did offer many solutions here and there, what actually works; as a Freshman I would spend more time for reading ...
Data on internal disk is not encrypted at all

Sorry, where did I say that the data on the INTERNAL disk was encrypted? Can you show me my post where I said the INTERNAL disk was encrypted? The last time I checked EHD means External Hard Drive and an EHD IS encrypted using the Housecode as one of the base pairs.

Me thinks, it's not me that needs to read posts more carefully. Try not to throw stones at a rubber wall.

Sure, here:
There is a receiver code and a household code. The internal disks are tied to the receiver code while the EHD is tied to to the Household code.

Internal disk is NOT tied to the receiver code . That's why I used the word "mythical".

Anyway if you will read correct names of the codes and use them here it would clear up your posts and its meaning.

Sure, here:

Internal disk is NOT tied to the receiver code . That's why I used the word "mythical".

Anyway if you will read correct names of the codes and use them here it would clear up your posts and its meaning.

Humm, interesting..

So you are saying that if I remove my HD from my 622 and take it to my neighbors 622 and replace the drives then we can watch all my shows on this 622. And, he can then copy the shows to 'his' EHD if wanted to give him a show?

Interesting ramifications!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts