External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

You mean left the default firmware settings? That's causing the problems now from what I'm reading.

Maybe you're misunderstanding, the firmware settings, things like controlling noise, spin-down, cache managment, etc are set in the HDD firmware chip. It's part of the electronics you see on the HDD itself. Those settings are independent of whatever file system you eventualy put on the drive.

Since the firmware adjustment software, Seatools, etc. seem to be universally run in a Windows or Linux environment you'll need to attach the drive to one of those types of systems.

Also, IIRC, these FW tools need to be run at drive boot-time and I'm not sure you can get some of these external USB models to be recognized at boot for the software tool to access them.
Do you think you can change firmware settings without losing your saved movies on the seagate because I just discovered that after it powers down when you go to use it the next day it wil not come on unless you unplug it and plug it back in. It did take 2 tries for the 622 to find it again and then it seems to work correctly. I guess dish needs to program the 622 to power it up after it powers down when you need it, if that's possible.

I hope Im not jinxing myself for posting this...

Turning off the sleep settings on my FreeAgent 500GB drive seems to have solved my problem. The default sleep time is 15 minutes.

So, I moved a couple programs over, and then waited about 30 mins. I was able to move another set of shows over without any errors. Also, the light bar has no dimmed (meaning its still "active".

You can also use the FreeTools software to turn off the light bar, if you so choose.

Do you think you can change firmware settings without losing your saved movies on the seagate because I just discovered that after it powers down when you go to use it the next day it wil not come on unless you unplug it and plug it back in. It did take 2 tries for the 622 to find it again and then it seems to work correctly. I guess dish needs to program the 622 to power it up after it powers down when you need it, if that's possible.

I did not lose anything on my drive when I made the change. Just make sure you dont tell Windows to initialize it. Windows reported it as two unknown partitions.

I did not lose anything on my drive when I made the change. Just make sure you dont tell Windows to initialize it. Windows reported it as two unknown partitions.

StevenD: Thanks for the info! Did you set it to "Never"? It will be interesting to see if that fixes the problem and how it effects drive temp.

NightRyder

I tried turning off my 622 and then waited for my seagate to go to sleep , then I turned on the 622 and went to manage usb and my movies showed up on the drive even when the drive was still asleep but then I tried to transfer a movie to the 622 and after a couple seconds it said there was an error, so I tried again no luck, but then I tried the next movie and everthing worked fine, so I tried the first movie again and it worked:confused: what's weird about it is that after the seagate goes to sleep and I start moving movies back and forth it glows lighter and darker but when it is finished it goes right back to sleep.It seems that the 622 needs a few seconds or more to find the ext hd when you turn it "622" on, and it also seems that overnight when both units are fast asleep it turns out to be a one night stand and they don't recognize each other the next day:( I'm going to disable the inactivity setting tonight and see if the 622 will see the seagate tomorrow if that does or does not work I think dish has some work to do to get these issues worked out. what I don't know is if the seagate fa has different levels of powering down, maybe someone else knows. does anybody who has the wd mybook have the same problems?

And assuming this SeaTools fix works, what is better. Keep it on 24/7 or leave it as is and cycle power when I need to use it (other than that's a pain)? Keep in mind I have 2 drives so I'd be switching between them sometimes anyway.

And does this fix the issue of unplugging the drive (USBonly) and then having the 622 recognize it when it's plugged back in without a power cycle? Seems like a similar issue assuming the drive spins down after disconnect the USB cable. But I've used the drive, unplugged it, plugged it back in and get unrecognized device until I cycle power.

I have a mac but my son has windows ,do you think I can use my mac for this change or do I have to use windows? thanks

I am posting about my experience so far. I activated my the storage archive this morning without any problems. I have a 500GB seagate external usb drive. I connected it to the back of the 622 since I want to use the front usb for my pocketdish. The first thing I did was to archive an hour show. It took 3 minutes and 30 seconds approximately. I played back that recording and all seems to be fine. Then I decided to really push it. I have about 10 hours of HDprogramming on the 622 so I decided to send them to archival to usb drive. The estimated time was set to 10 hours this am. I was brave to send them all. Now it tells me that I have 3 hrs and 8 mins left. So I should be able to report at around 10:30pm ET tonight what happened to my 10 hours of HD programming. So far no errors. In the mean time, I have been able to watch TV, record another program and be able to watch a program from 622 Hard Disk that was not sent to archive. Either I am lucky or every thing will be lost tonight at 10:30pm

I am posting about my experience so far. I activated my the storage archive this morning without any problems. I have a 500GB seagate external usb drive. I connected it to the back of the 622 since I want to use the front usb for my pocketdish. The first thing I did was to archive an hour show. It took 3 minutes and 30 seconds approximately. I played back that recording and all seems to be fine. Then I decided to really push it. I have about 10 hours of HDprogramming on the 622 so I decided to send them to archival to usb drive. The estimated time was set to 10 hours this am. I was brave to send them all. Now it tells me that I have 3 hrs and 8 mins left. So I should be able to report at around 10:30pm ET tonight what happened to my 10 hours of HD programming. So far no errors. In the mean time, I have been able to watch TV, record another program and be able to watch a program from 622 Hard Disk that was not sent to archive. Either I am lucky or every thing will be lost tonight at 10:30pm

I did about 8 hours of HD programming in 2 hours and 15 minutes. 10 hours seems very long.

After the initial four movies I transferred, I continued - one at a time - transferring films - all HD, and it usually averaged 35 minutes per hour of programming. 2 hours of SD took about 6 minutes.

I did about 8 hours of HD programming in 2 hours and 15 minutes. 10 hours seems very long.

After the initial four movies I transferred, I continued - one at a time - transferring films - all HD, and it usually averaged 35 minutes per hour of programming. 2 hours of SD took about 6 minutes.

Damn it! Now I know I am heading for disaster :eek:. I think it was more than 10 hours. More like 150-200 GB. if I remember correctly the amount of GB that it stated before it did the transfer. Does it translate to 10 hrs?

Damn it! Now I know I am heading for disaster :eek:. I think it was more than 10 hours. More like 150-200 GB. if I remember correctly the amount of GB that it stated before it did the transfer. Does it translate to 10 hrs?

My recordings have been between 8 - 10GB for a 2 -to 2 1/2 hour HD movie. Top Gun came in at 10.5GB. Star Wars Ep IV, from HBO-HD came in about 8.5GB.

If its 150-200GB, then its more like 20 - 23 hours; which makes the time more reasonable.

Fingers crossed for you that it all turns out fine. In the future, just transfer one or two at a time.

A couple typos in there so not quite sure what you meant, but my yellow light stays on anytime the USB cable is plugged into the 622, regardless if the 622 sees it or not.

Sorry, I was typing from my RF keyboard on my media center box. I guess I was a little far away.

If you use the Seagate FreeAgent Tools, there is an option to turn the yellow light bar off completely. Or you can leave it as is and it will get dimmer/brighter as its reading/writing.

And assuming this SeaTools fix works, what is better. Keep it on 24/7 or leave it as is and cycle power when I need to use it (other than that's a pain)? Keep in mind I have 2 drives so I'd be switching between them sometimes anyway.

And does this fix the issue of unplugging the drive (USBonly) and then having the 622 recognize it when it's plugged back in without a power cycle? Seems like a similar issue assuming the drive spins down after disconnect the USB cable. But I've used the drive, unplugged it, plugged it back in and get unrecognized device until I cycle power.

Not SeaTools. Thats for diagnostics only. You need Seagate FreeAgent Tools.

Multiple Hoppers and timers

OTA module troubles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)