External Hard Drive Programs

I have a question about disconnecting the cable from the box. In theory it works, and has been proven. For atleast 7 days. The question I have, is if it remains connected to internet, would it know it is no longer an active account?

That's a good question. I'm guessing all the authorization information is in the satellite signal.

If left connected or reconnected it will shut down if it is deactivated and the deactivation is still in the authorization stream.

First off do you own the 2 receivers? If no then the suggestion you keep the minimum subscription package going until you can offload what you want to view again seems like a good answer.

Now if you own the receivers here is what I did. Dish required me to change over to the HD receivers. On 1 of the 4 512 receivers I had over 100 hours of TCM movies which I did not want to lose. Being there is not a way to transfer from my old receiver to the new one, I had to come up with a solution. I was lucky being that was the only receiver I owned out of the 4.

I disconnected the 512 completely,coax and power and set in a corner for a while. I eventually hooked up the receiver to a DVD recorder and applied power only to the receiver. The screen will eventually say it cannot find a signal. At that point I pushed the DVR button on the remote and there was all my recorded material. Inserted blank DVD-R and went about getting everything I wanted saved transferred to DVD. Yes it was a one program at a time process but I didn't just lose everything. Yes picture quality is not that of a factory DVD but it is watchable. Being everything I had on the receiver ranged from silent movies up to 50-60's scfi and horror B movies, I am happy.

Now as for an external hard drive, I am assuming here now, it would act like multiple hard drives in a PC. Does using an external have a separate listing under my recordings with the DVR button? If everything shows(internal and external drives) under the my recordings and you don't hook up to Dish I don't see why it would not work. Just that you will be spending a lot of time switching out blank DVDs and hitting buttons per item recorded. Personally I set timers and/or wrote down total time to record the movie/event and time when it would be done. Nothing automated.

EHDs would not work without an actively subscribed receiver. (Not even on Dish Pause.) That is why I said to offload the content from the EHD you want to watch to the receiver before disconnecting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)