External hard drive question

Oh yeah, lots have hit the 1,000 title wall. Better to have many smaller EHDs, organized like a library.

I hope to one day get back to my Linux project to catalog each EHD.

OK, so I'm already using a 2TB WD Elements USB 2.0 drive which I got back in 2013 for $108 & works fine. I went to purchase another one, but the price everywhere for these has now DOUBLED; however I then found a newer version, but which says it's both USB 3.0 & 2.0 compatible - will this still work on DISH DVR's? (Hoppers specifically) I really don't want to ASSUME this before buying... :eek:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236519

If 2.0 compatible, it should. It just has to meet the 4 specs... USB 2.0, Self Powered, single disc drive, 50GB-2TB.

There have been posters that have had success if they use a powered USB hub. That may be something of benefit as well.

There have been posters that have had success if they use a powered USB hub. That may be something of benefit as well.
While some have reported success with bus-powered drives, it's not supported by Dish. Technically a device such as the Dish receivers MUST support bus-powered devices if it's truly USB compliant. The trouble is that devices on both ends of the USB cable may fall outside the USB specs at least some of the time (like when a hard drive starts up). The other possible issue with bus-powered drives is they may not be fast enough - trading off speed for low power.

You may also find success if you use a powered USB hub between the receiver and any bus-powered external hard drive(s). (That assumes the drive is fast enough.)

I try not to be so absolute with my answers, when I know it is unsupported. I specifically choose words like 'may' and 'assumes'.......

I have working 2TB drives up to about 1500 mostly 1/2 and 1hr series, not movies, 98 to 100% full often with 10+ series. The 1/2 hour shows can add a lot to the count. Other drives have the 2hr movies. So I think the 999 limit is wrong. Some get the wrong date (2/6/2106, note century) and no description on some of the shows (only in the episodes?) but a reboot or 2 fixes that--just annoying. -Ken

Well luckily last night, I found some of the same exact drives like the one I previously got f/$5 less each, so I ordered 2, since I know they definitely work properly & do NOT have unnecessary (backup) software crap loaded on them!

I looked at several stores yesterday looking for a 2 tb powered external drive at a decent price. None could be found. I finally decided to go 3tb WD My Book at BJ's Wholesale for $100. Installed it today. My HWS had no problem with it. Formatted to 2792 gb free.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukiebluedoc