External Hard Drive Recording Questions

theoak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
I have a single 722 serving 2 televisions.

1. Can I record an event directly to the external hard drive (EHD)?
2. Can TV1 or TV2 watch events directly from the EHD?

Assume 1 is True.
3. Can events currently being recording to the EHD be viewable during the recording? For example, TV2 can not watch OTA. But I can start an OTA recording, wait a minute, and then go to TV2 and start watching that recording, pausing, skipping commercials, etc as I please.

Assume 3 is True.
4. Can these events be viewable from TV1, TV2, or both?

Your answers may spawn more questions ... ;)

1 is not true.

Even if it were, once you start a transfer to or from the EHD, you can't access it for any other purpose until that is finished.

Okay thanks.

So #2 is true then?

The reason why I ask is that I am thinking about moving the "kids" programming to an EHD, but I want to make sure that they can still access it without someone having to transfer it back to the 722 first.

Well, it looks likes all questions then still need answers ... thanks all for the feedback thus far ...

Well, it looks likes all questions then still need answers ... thanks all for the feedback thus far ...

Well...it's also possible that I'm completely wrong and "external recording device" does not refer to an external hard drive, but rather a VCR or DVD recorder. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut until I knew for sure...

Edit: Ah...ERD is Pocket Dish. Never mind. I deleted my original message.

Last edited:
External Recording Device refers to the POCKETDISH only.

True, but later models of the Archos (manufacturers of the PocketDish) are also for use with Dish STB's. While Dish has discontinued the PocketDish, Dish still supports the latest Archos models and Archos is supposed to intorduce a new Archos model that allows transfer of Dish HD channels. Dish is directing those interested in PocketDish technology to the Archos website for compatible models.

I have a single 722 serving 2 televisions.

1. Can I record an event directly to the external hard drive (EHD)?
2. Can TV1 or TV2 watch events directly from the EHD?
My cursory reading of the 2xx recordings comments seemed to imply that it can record and playback at the same time more or less like the DVRs. This would make it more advanced in that way the use of the EHD on the 6x2/722 series.

The 722 sure does not make full use of the bandwidth--I'd like faster transfers.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts