External Harddrive

mikeyinokc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
I know this topic has been talked about many times, but I can't find an answer using the search feature.
I have been given a new WD 3tb My Book.external harddrive. I know that Dish only supports up to 2tb. I have seen it referenced where some have found a fix or workaround, but I can't find the thread. I have tried to format the new HD on both of my Hoppers, I have an original hopper and a hopper w/sling.

Can anyone guide me to some help on this? Thanks in advance, Mike

I know this topic has been talked about many times, but I can't find an answer using the search feature.
I have been given a new WD 3tb My Book.external harddrive. I know that Dish only supports up to 2tb. I have seen it referenced where some have found a fix or workaround, but I can't find the thread. I have tried to format the new HD on both of my Hoppers, I have an original hopper and a hopper w/sling.

Can anyone guide me to some help on this? Thanks in advance, Mike
What's happening when you try to format?

What's happening when you try to format?
The window comes up saying something like 'formatting external HD please wait. I have left things in that mode for hours. Yesterday I left it running for over 12 hours, and still not formatted.

Hi mikeyinokc,

There was a similar question listed in the following thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/size-of-external-hard-drive.360975/

This is my experience that I responded with....

"I was able to finally get a 3TB drive to work, but I had to jump through alot of hoops to make it so. When I first plugged it in, I couldn't get it to work at all. It said it was formatting, but sometime after 36 hours I decided it was stuck. I ended up cloning one of my smaller drives to this new drive in order for it to be recognized by the Hopper. That was a start, but I was only getting use of a portion of the drive. After much trouble, I was finally able to expand one of the partitions which allowed me to use the rest of the available space.

If I had to do it all over again, I would just buy the 2TB and be done. Not having realized all this before I bought it and started the process, I kept at it until I finally got it to work. Some have been lucky I guess where they get it to work right out of the box. That wasn't my experience. I'm glad I finally got it to work, but I spent alot of time trying to figure it out. Just my 2 cents."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts