External HD results: Drives Working Properly

Buffalo Duo Stataion 1TB in spanning mode

Formatted to 960GB by the 622

Auto pwr setting in use (so it spin down)

UPDATE:

It works fine for storage but I can not playback any HD material for the device. (SD material is ok)

Choppy video
Sound dropouts
No sound at all
Complete lock up

---------------------

I suspect its the size of the buffer but Buffalo doesnt say what size it uses.

Works great!

NST-360U2-BK Vantec USB 2.0 Aluminum enclosure, SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB SATA HD.

Unit is on 24/7, case gets warm but never too hot to touch. Transfer times compatible with desktop computer use. 6 GB transfer in under 10 min. Playback is great, can't see a difference from straight DVR playback.

Lovin' it!

8mb, 16mb buffer on a 500gb+ drive is a joke. At least one gig would be more like it. Won't it be nice when everything operates from flash memory.

8mb, 16mb buffer on a 500gb+ drive is a joke. At least one gig would be more like it. Won't it be nice when everything operates from flash memory.
It's more than adequate for AV drives. AV drives are programmed to approach data retrieval and error correction from the standpoint of not slowing down the video stream. Standard data drives don't care if they stop or hinder a video stream.

Besides, you would still need the 16MB cache to help speed the location and access of data found in the 1GB buffer!

Western Digital Mybook 750Gb, No problems, except some error messages saying drive is not authorized, but clicking the button again, it goes away. Actually otherwise, working good. The archive times are kinda slow, but you can do other things while it's doing it's thing.

I guess I ment a 1 gig cache.

My point is that it doesn't matter how big the cache is, data drives are tuned to deliver error free data at the expense of speed or continuous format. Will most people ever suffer? Most likely not? Does it explain part of the problem for those who do have stuttering and other glitches? Definitely.

My other note was that if you do increase the cache to 1 gigabyte, you will need another cache to organize the data kept in the 1 gig cache. Take a visit over to WD or Seagate and take a look at what the cache is actually for and how it works. You might change your mind about cache size versus data handling and error correct programming.

Western Digital Mybook 750Gb, No problems, except some error messages saying drive is not authorized, but clicking the button again, it goes away. Actually otherwise, working good. The archive times are kinda slow, but you can do other things while it's doing it's thing.

It will give you that warning when the drive is sleeping. Fortunately for WD owners, the power save mode does not mess with the USB connection like the Seagate Sleep Interval does. Of course, if people turned them off when not using them, nobody would see any errors with either drives.

Seagate 500GB 400mbps with firewire from Fry's $159.

Question: How long should it take to re-format for DISH? Mine has been in "format" mode now for 1 hour.

Seagate 500GB 400mbps with firewire from Fry's $159.

Question: How long should it take to re-format for DISH? Mine has been in "format" mode now for 1 hour.

My 500GB Seagate FreeAgent drive only took a few minutes.

NightRyder

Adaptec ACS-100 enclosure with a Seagate 500GB drive. Works great and I think i'm getting good transfer speeds. I trust Adaptec, they seem to understand chipsets well.
Good choice. Good drives with enclosures is the way to go as opposed to pre-made.

I have a 500 GB My Book. Western Digital. It has been working GREAT so far.

The only bug I have found is that my shows don't always start at the same spot I left them when I resume watching. However I would bet that is a bug in the software, not necessarily related to the My Book.

My Western Digital 750 GB My Book works fine except:

On playback I noticed it hesitating some. I pressed the skip back and it started working correctly. So far on two programs--I haven't reviewed more yet. This is on a 722 but the trick was mentioned a long while back for the early 622 internal, IIRC. It must need to get its buffers/cache in order.

Question: will it do this at every pause or skip forward? I didn't push it, yet.

BTW: one note said the 750 GB is lowest size WD on which they are using perpendicular recording for more density. Can anyone confirm/deny? Does it matter?

-Ken

My LaCie 500gb with Samsung drive and 16mb cache works fine, but I did have problems at first until I discovered that the power cable on back of drive needed to be pushed in with more force.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)