External HDD feature for ViP622 and ViP722: coming 8/15: $39.99

Who's the lucky addition ?? Went from 280 to 281 units.... Still no public acknowledgment of getting these updates from anyone though.

P Smith (Paul ?): Isn't ~280 units roughly what appears to be Dish's 622 test group ?? We've seen that number before.

after all discussion about only being able to use an ext hd on only one 622 I looked at the ces video again and dave the dish rep says that at some point you will be able to swap out your ext hd's and connect them to other receivers in the house " he doesn't say only to other 622's" my 522 has the same options to manage device, I have a pocketdish that works off the 522, so I hope I will be able to transfer my stuff from the 522 to a ext hd and play on my 622 and vice versa....

YouTube - Dish Network USB Storage Demo Video

The link in the very first post in this thread states that the 622 and 722 will support it, and kinda implies the "older" models won't. I'd love to see this supported on the 522, but I kinda doubt it will happen.

maybe someday

well there are alot of 522 and 625's out there with usb's, you would think alot of those customer's would like to have the same ability that hd units have plus dish can rack up more $40 fee's and keep more customer's dependent on their system far into the future, I know I probaly would if I had alot of saved movies........ oh crap I do!

Yes, but there will be a phase out of the non ViP receivers going forward. i wouldn't bet on seeing any new major features on the older boxes going forward.

well there are alot of 522 and 625's out there with usb's, you would think alot of those customer's would like to have the same ability that hd units have plus dish can rack up more $40 fee's and keep more customer's dependent on their system far into the future...

But Dish can rack up even more $$ if they make us upgrade those old 522/625's to 622/722's.
Which way do you think they'll want to go... Spend their $$ to implement and test the feature on older models, or make us spend OUR $$ to upgrade equipment?

I can envision the promotion now: Dish is pleased to announce that for only $150 plus the one time enablement fee of $40, you an upgrade your legacy 522 to a 622 and get this great new feature!

[Disclaimer: The above promotion does not exist. I made it up. Please don't call Dish and request it.;) ]

Posted a few times - 522/625 721/921 and 942 have USB 1.1 chipset, ie 12 Mbps max speed !

Hall, the total number is close, not sure about S/N. I have those old log files, if you want compare.

Yes, but there will be a phase out of the non ViP receivers going forward. i wouldn't bet on seeing any new major features on the older boxes going forward.
all I really want is to take my movies off the 522 and give that to my kids and replace it with a 622 or 722 but if they do not upgrade it I guess I will still get another vip and fill up the hd on the 522 which I own, deactivate it and then I can use that as a gigantic pocketdish to plug and play on any tv, of course I will disconnect it from dish first just in case they have a way to prevent me from doing that, problem solved.

Last edited:
I never bother with PPV; there are numerous good movies on the four premium HD movie channels, plus UHD and HDNET Movies.

I would prefer it wasn't $40, and agree that as a customer retention tool, it really should be free. BUT I will pay it without hesitation the second it is available.

There really wasn't anything in the OPs article that we did not know from the retail chat the other week. as always, if you want knowledge about Sat tv - and particularly Dish- SatelliteGuys is the place to be!
Just found your old post from CEDIA thread:
I am guessing it won't be about a external hd fee, but whether or not to allow third-party drives, OR just make you buy an external drive FROM them; which would be just a third-party drive that is marked up.

God I hope they are not taking that route. I want to be able to use my 320GB my Book.

I am definitely going to lobby for this to be a freebie (i.e. no fee and any third-party drive) to whoever is there from E* at the CEDIA Reception tomorrow! Just 24 hours away. I can't wait!
Sadly, you took other side at the end.

But Dish can rack up even more $$ if they make us upgrade those old 522/625's to 622/722's.
Which way do you think they'll want to go... Spend their $$ to implement and test the feature on older models, or make us spend OUR $$ to upgrade equipment?

I can envision the promotion now: Dish is pleased to announce that for only $150 plus the one time enablement fee of $40, you an upgrade your legacy 522 to a 622 and get this great new feature!

[Disclaimer: The above promotion does not exist. I made it up. Please don't call Dish and request it.;) ]

Actually, you are quite close. They offered me $149 to upgrade my 301 to a 622, and with a $50 programming credit. Actually I took a 211 for $99 with same credit.

Love this new feature. Bought 2 Seagate external 500gb hard drives. Can I hook up any number of different drives to this unit? Even maybe 15 different hard drives? I want to know if archiving is limitless. I gather I can move the hard drives between my different receivers, correct? Also, is there a proper procedure for swapping out the usb hard drives, or do I just unplug anytime and swap them? Thanks.

Love this new feature. Bought 2 Seagate external 500gb hard drives. Can I hook up any number of different drives to this unit? Even maybe 15 different hard drives? I want to know if archiving is limitless. I gather I can move the hard drives between my different receivers, correct? Also, is there a proper procedure for swapping out the usb hard drives, or do I just unplug anytime and swap them? Thanks.

Yes, you can use as many external drives as you want. There is specific method for swapping the drives (just make sure there isn't a transfer in progress when you change them out).

This is where you should have checked:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/103892-official-external-storage-information.html

and

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/104108-external-hard-drive-archive-bug-thread.html

all those questions have been answered at least 20 times in this thread; how about reading through it first?

Did you jump down their throats each of the 20 times?
The reason I asked is that there were conflicting numbers. Some said it was limited to 4. Next time I'll comb through the 36 pages, AGAIN and cross reference all the data before posting as to not waste your time in reading 1 post.

Did you jump down their throats each of the 20 times?
The reason I asked is that there were conflicting numbers. Some said it was limited to 4. Next time I'll comb through the 36 pages, AGAIN and cross reference all the data before posting as to not waste your time in reading 1 post.

Chill out dude, I hardly think my comment was "jumping down your throat"..Learn how to use the SEARCH function, and you wouldn't have to "comb through the 36 pages"...

How exactly would you suggest I search for that particular question? I will then copy and paste to see the results, just out of curiosity.

this thread is for discussing external hardrives for the 622/722. NOT a instructional thread..If you want a tutorial for how to use the search function here, please post the request in the appropriate forum.

Well then, you should have kept the post relevant to answering questions about hard drive limits rather then posting etiquette.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts