External HHD enclosure

bobdee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 19, 2020
Arizona
I changed the hdd enclosure, & when I turned it on, & saw a message to format the hdd, of course I reversed what I did. Does that mean if the enclosure needs to replaced, all recordings are lost ?

I changed the hdd enclosure, & when I turned it on, & saw a message to format the hdd, of course I reversed what I did. Does that mean if the enclosure needs to replaced, all recordings are lost ?
None that I've ever used which makes me too curious as to what is giving you that message.

Reactions: TheKrell
hdd.png

What was the HDD in before you changed it to the new enclosure?
What happened when you returned it to where it came from?
What type of recordings are on it? How is it currently formatted? EXT 3, 4, FAT, NTFS?
Are you able to transfer the files over FTP so you have a backup on a pc? Then see what the prompts are to format when you use the new enclosure?
Generic enclosure or one that specifies Windows/Mac?

Edit.
Oops a minue too late. Dishnet. Yuck!
Perhaps a clone and file restore after format?

I change because I liked the other better for my computer, it had no problem, & did put it back, & it's working as before. Now that I think of it, I had a heck of a time getting my computer recognizing a new ssd in the problem case. After screwing around in disk management, it worked. So...the reformat thing usually doesn't happen ?

I change because I liked the other better for my computer, it had no problem, & did put it back, & it's working as before. Now that I think of it, I had a heck of a time getting my computer recognizing a new ssd in the problem case. After screwing around in disk management, it worked. So...the reformat thing usually doesn't happen ?
OK my friend. First of all I'm going to get a mod to move this to the DIsh forum so we can get all the experts over there working on it. Yes, we've seen such problems before over there. Which Dish receiver do you have?

But my WAG about that enclosure is that it might be a raid enclosure. This could present itself differently to your computer (with the SSD) and to your Dish receiver.

Reactions: charlesrshell
H3, I'm not going to worry about it, I was just curious that happened, if needed I'll just buy a better one, I think the case is goofy. Sorry I didn't give better details in the original post.

Assuming the old enclosure is Ok.

The hopper probably just noticed a different configuration for the EHD. Plug it in, do not accept the reformat message and call Dish Support and have them resend an authorization ping to your Hopper. That will cause the hopper to scan all the attached devices.

Assuming the old enclosure is Ok.

The hopper probably just noticed a different configuration for the EHD. Plug it in, do not accept the reformat message and call Dish Support and have them resend an authorization ping to your Hopper. That will cause the hopper to scan all the attached devices.
He said the old enclosure worked when he went back to it. The new enclosure also had issues when he tried to get his computer to recognize an SSD in that same enclosure. He is working fine now that he went back to the original enclosure. It ain't broke why fix it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts