External storage on DTV HDDVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drp1

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
With all the new HD programming, I am quickly running out of memory to record HD programming. Does DTV have any plans for external hard drive transfer of recorded programming similar to the Dish 622?

I haven't done it myself yet, but you can use external hard drives. There have been lots of related posts. I do know from the limited reading I've done that adding an external drive REPLACES your internal drive space - it does NOT add additional.

Moved to proper forum.

You can't transfer from the internal to an external but you can get an eSATA drive and take the place of the internal. I did this with a 1TB drive.

Moved to proper forum.

You can't transfer from the internal to an external but you can get an eSATA drive and take the place of the internal. I did this with a 1TB drive.

And this is the reason I can't switch to DirecTV. I have gotten too used to the external storage abilities of Dish where I can transfers back and forth easily between the external hard drive and the internal one. I tell the 622 to record what movies I want, and then when I am there I transfer them to the external hard drive. The way DirecTV implemented it seesms really dumb. If they fix this oversight, I will probably switch to Direct as I do like their new programming.

Sean

And this is the reason I can't switch to DirecTV. I have gotten too used to the external storage abilities of Dish where I can transfers back and forth easily between the external hard drive and the internal one. I tell the 622 to record what movies I want, and then when I am there I transfer them to the external hard drive. The way DirecTV implemented it seesms really dumb. If they fix this oversight, I will probably switch to Direct as I do like their new programming.

Sean

Are you then picking up the external HD and taking it somewhere else? Just curious, because if you're not, then there's really no difference except that with D* you wouldn't have the hassle of having to tell the box to transfer to the external HD, it would just do it automatically...

Are you then picking up the external HD and taking it somewhere else? Just curious, because if you're not, then there's really no difference except that with D* you wouldn't have the hassle of having to tell the box to transfer to the external HD, it would just do it automatically...

I just use the external hard drive for archiving. The way I do it with Dish is I tell the 622 (HDDVR) to record the programs (usually movies) that I want, and it puts them on the internal hard drive. I then tell it to transfer those programs to the external hard drive later. In addition to those programs, I also record many things I wouldn't want on the external hard drive which are just regular programs I don't care to archive. So, the way Dish implemented it works a whole lot better for me.

Sean

In my opinion, there is a big difference. I would love to be able to do most of my recording to the internal drive. Then once I watched the material I could simply archive if I wanted to keep it for future viewing. I would see this as my Movie HD jukebox.

The way D* implemented this is quite dumb to say the least. I have 4 USB Hard Disk. What I do is that I record to the internal disk and overnight transfer all these recordings to the any of the 4 USB Hard Disk (While this is happening I can still record to the internal hard disk- which is beautiful and useful). In the morning I have a blank internal disk. Not only are you able to to archive to the USB Hard Disk but you are also able to view from them. So it is quite convenient to do this with unlimited amount of USB Hard Disks. You never run out of space. D* solution is counterproductive and useless for those that want unlimited space.

In my opinion, there is a big difference. I would love to be able to do most of my recording to the internal drive. Then once I watched the material I could simply archive if I wanted to keep it for future viewing. I would see this as my Movie HD jukebox.

I called DirecTV today and suggested that they change the way that they have implemented this to be similar to how Dish has it implemented. The first CSR I talked to never could understand what I was talking about. She even suggested that I sign up, and the installer could probably tell me a way to do what I was wanting to do..lol.. she finally transferred me to tech support which understood what I was saying and made a note of the suggestion. It would probably be helpful if others also call them and suggest this.

Sean

OK, OK, you got me on that one... I've just always been a DVD guy and never used a DVR like that - I watch it and delete it, and if I recorded enough programming to fill up my internal hard drive, I'd never have time to watch it all... I can barely keep up with the shows I record as it is.

I can see what you're saying, though, for someone who does things the way you guys are explaining it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.