Extraction possible out of 921?

Bear

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
I'm sure this is number one on the newbie FAQ list, but has anyone managed to find a way to extract shows out of the 921? Given that some of its core code is linux-based, I was curious. However, given how few of these are available, I am not hopeful (and is a big reason for me to go with D* and Tivo despite worse PQ).

I've read that the shows on the 921/721 remain encrypted, so to avoid possible criminal prosecution, no one tries it. The 7200 and 50x series do not keep encrypted copies on their hard disks, so people do play around with them.

Forget digital extraction of shows from the 921.

Just get yourself a WinPVR 250 card for your PC and connect the 921 to it using a S-video and RCA stereo audio cable.

I've actually got two of those! ;) I was more curious about getting HD streams for archiving, but if it is not possible, then so be it. I think I would need a 942 at a much lower price for the DVR functions (I can archive off of the HD Tivo with some straightforward software mods) and an old 6000 (not stock, obviously) for archiving HD.

Later,
Bill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts