Extremetech review of Voom

"We have noticed that VOOM content arrives at different rates of compression. Heavily compressed content will show the usual MPEG-2 block-based artifacts and posterization in large areas of the same color, such as the sky. We can't be sure how much a particular MPEG-2 stream is being compressed (or recompressed), and whether the content comes to VOOM in this form, or whether VOOM is recompressing to eat less transmission bandwidth from its satellites. But wherever it's occurring, it's clear that some of VOOM's HD content isn't coming in at anywhere near the rated 25Mbits/sec bit-rate."

Ok dear VOom, EVERYONE IS NOTICING THE LOW B/W!! Today there was mosquito noise over 50% of Extreme RUsh... whatever it takes when you go to WM9 or new sat, you must increase the bandwidth tot 19mbps under mpg2 or comparable!!!

PS - The majority of the review the bitch about the remote and the ePG? So Ok Voom looks like these crtics wans smaller remote, better PG that's more interactive, more bandwidth, and a DVR. Who else is asking for this out there? Oh yeah most of your customers too. As they said then "Voom would be the provider to beat"

Here is a list of areas where they though things could improve.

1 - Remote Control Design
2 - Program Guide Design
3 - Download PG faster
4 - DVR
5 - Compression
6 - Installation Fee vs competition

I thought it was a fair evaluation but in my opinion:

1 - I did not like the remote control design either and went and bought another and was happy with it.

2 - I am not sold on the Program Guide Design. I can't talk about D* or the guide of the 811 or 921 but I have a 6000u from E* and the PG is horrible. That's my basis for comparison.

3 - (same point as 2)

4 - I won't give up HD channels to watch SD programs recorded on a SD DVR. That, to me, it's plain crazy. I know the benefits of a DVR since I have two of them - a 721 and a 501. I have not used the 721 again since I've got VOOM. Because even with an SD-DVR the picture looks bad and compressed. So I am not sold on the idea of an SD-DVR. I am not sold on the idea of the HD-Tivo or 921 either. Besides any technical problem that they may have, the HD content is not there for me to give $1000 to E* for a 921. I was on pre-order list and decided to take myself away after I realized how anemic E* is in HD. I am selling my 721.

5 - Compression: Yes, we know about the Mosquito Noise and that there are certain problems with this. See the sticky on top of the forum. I believe that the quality has improved lately but it still needs to improve more. Now, not everything is compressed to be not watchable. It all depends which channel you are watching.

6 - For three months there was $0 payment to lease the equipment. Now there's a $49 offering for leasing. So this changes constantly based on promotions.

This is from my own opinion from my experience with Dish 6000u and dish HD offering.

Instead of updating my post, I just found it interested that they did not found the HD content horrible or a waste of bandwith. We probably can say "well they did not spend too much time with it and therefore did not view for too long". I do not know it was not part of their review. Talking about HD content. I had my wife's family home today most of them women and teenager girls. Guess which channel they all wanted to see and watched for a full hour. ****drum**** no you did not guess it right... ULTRA-HD. Ultra-HD had the Ultra Fashion show premiere today at 8pm EST. So there was the room filled with Females talking about design, clothes, model and the whole industry of fashion. Very excited about it. After Ultra-HD was over I put the Rave-HD concert at 9pm and they all left the room. I put it back to Ultra-HD and they all came back. When you star hearing comments from the female audience about clothing and fashion, you start appreciating what ULTRA-HD brings to the table that no other avenue brings in.

I have several d* receivers (one of which is HD). Trust me, the moto box sw/pg is HORRIBLE. You can't even do simple things like remove channels so when you hit ch+/- it'll skip channels you don't get/want. No multiple fav lists. The guide only shows 1 hr and in 30 minutes increment. You have no idea if the next program will start in 30 minutes or 30 secs. I can go on and on but we've been thru all this before.

I mean if this is how cable boxes are then I guess I'm glad I'm not with cable.

Im still laughing at the idiot reviewer that says Voom needs to offer HD LIL. Does he have any clue about the bandwidth resources that would take? And the 25 MBps??? Who offers that?

Yeah that was bogus but it's obvious to them, and us, the aren't getting enough bandwidth for the HD channels, I don't think Voom should settle for being on par with cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts