Factory Reset Question?

truqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
Miramar, FL
I have read much about a Factory Reset and how it may help in getting correct mapping. Right now I have 8 channels of 13 that are on my PG.

Now here is the question...I'd like to know if doing a Factory Reset will bring these up and furthermore add some that according to zap2it should be available BUT I currently am able to view one HD channel that is not in my package... :yes . If I do a Factory Reset am I risking to lose it? I would not want lose it...if you understand what I mean ;)

truqui said:
I have read much about a Factory Reset and how it may help in getting correct mapping. Right now I have 8 channels of 13 that are on my PG.

Now here is the question...I'd like to know if doing a Factory Reset will bring these up and furthermore add some that according to zap2it should be available BUT I currently am able to view one HD channel that is not in my package... :yes . If I do a Factory Reset am I risking to lose it? I would not want lose it...if you understand what I mean ;)

If you're refering to a certain channel towards the middle of the HD guide, then no you will not lose it. I still have mine after dozens of factory resets. :smug

If your currently mapped channels are working fine, I doubt Factory Reset will bring any new channels. From what I know, Factory Reset may only help in two specific cases:

1. If there are some channels, that are mapped (show up in your on-screen PG), but don't get any signal, and you know for sure that the problem is not caused by poor signal transmission, antenna position/orientation, etc. In my case, there were 2 channels like that, that I was not able to receive until I did the FR. This is only an issue with older STBs. New STBs that have pre-loaded software, don't seem to have this problem.

2. If you are getting strange channels, like 0-1 or 0-30, or if the clock shows a wrong time zone. You might be able to fix this by doing FR. This problem may also be caused by incorrect configuration of your box, in which case the FR won't help and you need to call VOOM and have them correct your configuration, send a new authorization hit, or replace the box.

FR is a rather scary adventure. You may loose some of your channels in the process and you may need to do it more than once to get them back. (Just don't panic - you will get them back.) Also be patient. Avoid switching channels for the first few minutes after the FR. And I wouldn't do FRs if the satellite signal quality is poor.

I don't know if this is true or not, but someone mentioned that it is not recommended to do factory resets on the Newer STBs (those with pre-loaded software). In any case only do FR if you think it is really necessary. For example, if you just want to refresh your PG - a simple reboot might be sufficient.

Good luck!

Thanks guys...what was happening is that everytime I'd tune to a Cinema1-10 or Monsters and Epics, the screen would go haywire and then blue and lock the box up. I could turn it off and on again with no problem but the issue was still present.

I went ahead and did the FR, was patient, waited, got all the channels but still no dice with those channels. So, I called Voom this morning, exlpained the problem and the CSR said to please reboot by holding the power button 5 seconds. When it came back she asked me to set the output for 1080i, I asked why not all/auto? She said to leave it at 1080i. Hmmm, anyhow she hit the box and voila...Cinema1-10 are back...

BTW...that HD movie channel is still there!!! Whew... :)

Should I leave it at only 1080i or was the auto resolution the problem?

truqui,

What you are describing sounds like a compatibility problem with 720p mode over DVI. Some TV sets experience that (e.g. some DLPs). And since recently, VOOM started switching their exclusive channels to 720p (for whatever reason). So, switching to 1080i mode could be a solution for you. (The FR wasn't even necessary...)

Ilya....AHA!!!!

Yep, I think you are absolutely right! I read in the TV's manual that 720p is not supported scan rate on the Mitsubishi WS55413
Now that I think about it...the channels audio was there but the picture was haywire. Why would this lock the bow up though?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)