Factory Resets are no longer needed! (and not recomended)

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Here is one more topic I wanted to discuss with everyone before I add it to the STB FAQ.

As VOOM veterans may remember, old STBs (those that came without pre-installed software) needed a Factory Reset to get some missing OTA channels. I was actually among active proponents of the Factory Reset in those days. Both of my old STBs had exactly the same problem: two or three OTA channels listed in the PG didn't work (had no signal at all!) until I did the Factory Reset. This Factory Reset did miracles for many of us and even caught Wilt by surprise...

Now the situation is different. New STBs come with preloaded software (version 00.05.08 or above) and don't seem to need the Factory Reset. I never had to do it on my latest STB, and from what I've heard, VOOM no longer recommends Factory Resets. So, I think we should stop advising Factory Resets in our FAQs as they seem to be no longer necessary. If you have a different opinion, please post it here, and we'll discuss it.

For those new to VOOM: Factory Reset is a special procedure done through a hidden Service Menu. It is not the same thing as a reboot which you do by pressing the front power button for 6 seconds...

Ilya,

you maybe right about this since I do not see newly installed customers reporting the the weird channels like 0-1, 0-4, 0-8 in the PG. The problem seems to be now that they either see some and not others. Has anyone who was recently installed got these local channels in your PG? We would appreciate your help with this as we are going to update our FAQs. Thanks.

Hi,

We had a bad storm the other day in chicago and I lost CBS for two days. Decided to do a factory reset. OOOOPPPS bad choice, i lost my authorization and had to call voom and get it turned back on. My thinking is DO NOT USE THE FACTORY RESET FUNCTION ANY LONGER!

Sean Mota said:
Ilya,
you maybe right about this since I do not see newly installed customers reporting the the weird channels like 0-1, 0-4, 0-8 in the PG.
I am not positive, but I think those 0-1 channels were actually caused by the Factory Reset itself. When you simply reboot, the STB remembers your latest OTA MAP, but when you do the Factory Reset the OTA MAP is completely erased and it shows those 0- channels until the new OTA MAP is acquired from the satellite. And if the OTA MAP download fails for whatever reason, you get stuck with those strange channels. At least this is how I understand it.

I've had a missing Fox channel show up in my Guide and I didn't have to do a factory reset to get them, they were just there one day.

Ilya,
I agree with avoiding the factory reset. I've done it once in 5 months--just to see what would happen. Everything came out OK on the second attempt, because I got too impatient on the first one and tried to change channels. I gained nothing from doing the reset. I'm also convinced that Voom sent upgraded STB's to Colorado when people here started to get Voom. My STB has been steady as a rock.

I got Installed on May 26, the next day I had those 0-1 0-4 0-8 local channel prob.
Did A reboot, then turned everthing off and left for campingfor 4 days. I'm back now with only NBC working all the time on 1 reciever. ABC works sometimes but mostly locks up the reciever. V* is having the installer come back with a different ant.

All new receivers have the channels 0-1, 0-4, 0-8 displaying before
being activated. Suspect they are the test map.

Once the maps are updated they go away. However sometimes you have to reboot the receiver several times to cause the maps to install and the 0-1 s to go away.

Also if you try to tune to them the box will sometimes lockup.

Have never had to do a factory reset on any receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts