Fair access policy with Highesnet

apsc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Florida
I know this answer I think. Will watching a netflix video for 90 minutes cause you to hit the F.A.P on hughesnet? That is considering you having the maximum package for residential use.

Hughes top consumer plan ($350/month) is advertised to download up to 5 mbps. At that speed, it wouldn't take long to exceed the seemingly inadequate 500MB FAP threshold. That means you'd have to elect a pretty conservative streaming rate (low definition) to watch a real-time transmission. On-demand video is a better proposition. Download an entire file during the FAP-free period. Then watch it later at full definition.

//greg//

Hughes top consumer plan ($350/month) is advertised to download up to 5 mbps. At that speed, it wouldn't take long to exceed the seemingly inadequate 500MB FAP threshold. That means you'd have to elect a pretty conservative streaming rate (low definition) to watch a real-time transmission. On-demand video is a better proposition. Download an entire file during the FAP-free period. Then watch it later at full definition.

//greg//

I'm not real familiar with on demand video is that through a satellite provider or can you get it off the web

I'm not real familiar with on demand video is that through a satellite provider or can you get it off the web
Netflix.com is an example of on-demand video; stuff that will be sitting there waiting for you to download anytime you want. What will get you in trouble with the FAP is the "scheduled" stuff - anything that's only available to view at a specific time - like live coverage of a sporting event, a concert, an awards ceremony. Wait till the FAP-free window, set a download manager to get it while you sleep, play it back off your hard drive at your leisure.

//greg//

The basic plan is 200 MB per day and I thought the higher priced plans had a lot more than 500 MB per day.

Higher priced plans are 500 MB for elite I think which is supposed to be 140 a month. My concern is how to get passed this downloading video so my work orders don't cancel due to this issue. I think Pro Plus is 450 MB. The problem is I keep getting customers who wanna do instant downloads through Hughesnet and I know that won't work so I'm looking for an alternative choice.

Residential (consumer) plans are here: Rural High-Speed Internet Service - HughesNet Satellite Internet
Even business and enterprise plans have a FAP threshold. Fap threshold for both are here: Fair Access Policy
As you can see, even business plans are subject to FAP thresholds. Given that a typical full length movie may be 2-3 GB (more for HD), you can see that video streaming is discouraged in the business plans too.

Ther are no "alternatives" within the consumer grade satellite community that offer what you want. Shared bandwidth is the reason. The solution however, is a dedicated connection - nobody to share it with - for which customers can expect to pay big bucks for hardware and thousands for service that will support the chronic streamer.
Here's an example: VSAT Systems satellite Internet service plans providing broadband satellite Internet access

//greg//

Residential (consumer) plans are here: Rural High-Speed Internet Service - HughesNet Satellite Internet
Even business and enterprise plans have a FAP threshold. Fap threshold for both are here: Fair Access Policy
As you can see, even business plans are subject to FAP thresholds. Given that a typical full length movie may be 2-3 GB (more for HD), you can see that video streaming is discouraged in the business plans too.

Ther are no "alternatives" within the consumer grade satellite community that offer what you want. Shared bandwidth is the reason. The solution however, is a dedicated connection - nobody to share it with - for which customers can expect to pay big bucks for hardware and thousands for service that will support the chronic streamer.
Here's an example: VSAT Systems satellite Internet service plans providing broadband satellite Internet access

//greg//

Holy crap $999 for a internet connection.:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts