Falling prices, standards spur 3D TV adoption

I am pretty confident that eventually every set will be 3D ready. But, extra for glasses... It is just going to be virtually nothing to add the capability to every set as it becomes a standard part of the chipsets. But, I expect glasses to be extra...

Here is where I start wondering about those numbers. Every reasonable set is now 3-D because, well, it is virtually free. Every BluRay player is also 3-D for the same reason. Sales numbers for these seem sort of meaningless to me in terms of 3-D adoption. They should be reporting on sales of glasses and software to get a better feel of adoption rates.

It is sort of similar to a 7.1 audio system. You buy 7.1 receivers because the extra amps are bundled with the other features you want in a step up receiver, but a large percentage of folks never connect the last 2 speakers and just live with 5.1 instead. Looking at sales of 7.1 receivers would likewise give a skewed picture.

I am pretty confident that eventually every set will be 3D ready. But, extra for glasses... It is just going to be virtually nothing to add the capability to every set as it becomes a standard part of the chipsets. But, I expect glasses to be extra...

Last evening I saw a CEO for Xilinx give an interview for the future of his company. In that discussion he said they are maiking a new chip for adding 3D control to TV's and players making the transition ubiquitous. This is going to happen very soon and then the only difference between a 3D TV and a 2D only TV will be the application of the Film on the screen. Film Patterned Retarder surface. If all screens are manufactured with that as part of the process, then all TV's will be 3D ready at the connection of the right signal.

As Movie producers realize the benefit of having a 3D version available for the added revenue and a 2D only for cheaper price, plus with the continued progress in 2D-3D conversions, we will soon see 3D is everywhere making the entire discussion of is it here to stay of just a passing fad, totally meaningless. It makes no difference to anyone if if 3D is a part of the offering on a BD like other languages, CC and the like if all one needs to do is buy the video and control the 2D or 3D at the TV just like he does with CC.

I still say not everything NEEDS to be in 3D to be a success, just allow us the choice which is king in my book. If a movie needs to be in 3D fine but I see a future where stereographic choice is offered in either a conversion on some or the real deal on others. So, in that case, whether I choose to watch in 3D or not, as far as sales is concerned, it doesn't matter. In the end if someone is really interested, they can do a survey to know how many% are watching the 3D because sales of product won't matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)