Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Sad to see that Alex is shutting down TELE-audivsision / TELE-satellite after 34 years in operation. His farewell letter in near the last page.

http://magazine.tele-audiovision.com/eng/TELE-audiovision-1505.pdf

I enjoyed it when Alex came to interview me in Connecticut all the way for Germany. Because he was flying in so far I wanted to do something special for him so I got him into ESPN for a Tour. In order to get into ESPN we had to get him prescreened by ESPN Security so Alex sent me over a copy of his passport for the folks at ESPN.

I noticed on his passport that during his visit it would also be his birthday so I made reservations at a fancy steak house and told them it was his birthday. When we got there they had a special table setup for us he sat down and asked what all the decorations were for and the waitress told him it was to celebrate his birthday.

Well stupid me... I forgot in Europe they write the date different... so instead of January 8 or 1/8 it is written as 8/1. WHOOPS it was not his birthday. It was still many months away.... we all had a laugh and had a good dinner. It was a fun time and I was honored to be interviewed by Alex for his publication. :)

Thanks Alex, and Best to you in your new endeavors!

Yes heard about this last week. Very sad to hear. Awesome Magazine. :(

Yes I was bummed to hear that too, but glad to see he is on a newly chosen career path, and something completely different. The farewell on the last page had some interesting points, one of which was that information is worthless these days, in the sense that there is so much information out there on the Internet that costs nothing. A very interesting point.

Wonder what the future holds for books, newspapers, magazines, and other printed materials. It all points to less and less information on paper and more on line. Heard a story that one of the newspapers out in California already had used a robot reporter to write a news article.

Sad to hear.

I'm not sure many of you know this, but I started the Tele-Satellit news service in English in the early nineties. Until then, the magazine had only been available in German. Alex saw postings of mine on alt.satellite.tv.europe and asked me to start writing a satellite news column for him in English. I did the layout myself, with a German copy of Quark Xpress and it began appearing in print.

The news was also carried on a page of teletext on Super Channel (later NBC Super Channel), a pan-European broadcaster, and MTV Text (MTV Europe). And later it expanded to posting online. Some of the first Internet editions are here: http://www.sat-net.com/listserver/ts-news/index.shtml

Within a few years, the magazine was available entirely in an English edition and many other languages followed too. Alex was unique in wanting to touch as much of the world as possible in their own language. I suspect many of his editions ran at a loss, but that didn't stop him.

He's right about a lot of the information now being available online. However, it's sad to see some of the features and reviews disappear. Those are much harder for individuals to do on a consistent level.

But hey, that's the price we pay for progress :)

Scott...did you see that you and I are 2 out of the 3 U.S. residents in Alexander's picture Hall of Fame for their satellite installations? Start around page 140 of this last edition and you will find that he included us in the highlights one more time.

Sorry to see the end of an era and the loss of this excellent resource! The magazine was truly a labor of love for Alex with little financial return. Have known Alex for many years and enjoy his visits, friendship and BTW, it is true... He knows everyone in the industry!

Best wishes and continued success in the next life adventure!

Reactions: spongella
Always had great reviews of the latest equipment, and the advertisements by the manufacturers worldwide gave you an idea of what was out there for the satellite viewer. His interviews with outstanding satellite hobbyists and dish factory tours were always entertaining.

Am glad the back issues will remain for viewing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)