Faster Blind Scan?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sdsat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
I'm back to using my old Pansat 2700a because I can't get my new coolsat 6000 to find the satellites using 1.2. I bought the coolsat 6000 before I thought to factory reset the pansat and I still looked forward to using it because it was supposed to do a faster blind scan. Not sure what to do now. I might be able to return the coolsat, but maybe not.

I've got all of the satellites refound using my pansat. What I'm wondering is whether there is a faster way to blind scan? I normally have the blind scan set to fta andscrambled. The few times that I've tried fta only it seems to take just as long and I've been worried that I might miss a 4:2:2 feed if I use fta only.

The one problem with blind scan at least on the pansat is if you hit a satellite with a lot of data transponders on it it takes FOREVER to scan the data transponders.

Are there any hints on speeding up blindscan? Thanks for any thoughts from the masters.

If you want to skip scanning a transponder for channels you can press the "Play" button at the bottom of the remote control.

This next tip is pointless but sometimes it can be useful, you have to hold the remote buttons down for this to work, but you can speed up a blind search or channel search by holding down the UP and DOWN keys on the remote control or on the STB.

to set the coolsat up to do 1.2 you have to set each satellite to 1.2 and move from there to a known transponder from the list. then blind scan it in and start the next one. it was easy for me ( i have the 5k) just took some time.

so its menu - installation - motorized setting and diesqc motor then 1.2 ( arrows show up after this step so you can move motor.)
move ( moves all way east or west)
move fine (moves short movements east or west)

to set the coolsat up to do 1.2 you have to set each satellite to 1.2 and move from there to a known transponder from the list. then blind scan it in and start the next one. it was easy for me ( i have the 5k) just took some time.

so its menu - installation - motorized setting and diesqc motor then 1.2 ( arrows show up after this step so you can move motor.)

Ah perhaps I now know my mistake. I was using the "move" button and not the "fine move" button. Does the move button really move the dish all the way to the end of the arc with one push? I was able to find two satellites (satmex 5 and G10r), but I couldn't find the others using 1.2 and the move button. Now I have a dilemma. I've refound all of the satellites with my pansat using 1.2. Pretty easy, but time consuming. My only reason to switch now would be if the coolsat blind scan were much faster. Hhhmm. And, the place I purchased the coolsat will charge me a restocking fee of 30%. Maybe I'll just keep both as a backup . . .

All I can say is WOW and THANK YOU! I just blind scanned a satellite that took 25 minutes on Saturday in about 4 minutes. Thank you!!! I think I will be using my pansat now.

Last edited:
There is no way the Pansat is blind scanning in 4 minutes. Unless its set up to scan just a portion of the frequenices :)

Is your Pansat blind searching in 4 minutes or the Coolsat?

Pansat, using the trick outlined above (i.e., pushing the play button when the unit is searching for channels on data transponders). It is a huge difference!

I am glad that worked for you, I was confused since you quoted how to setup the Coolsat.

All I can say is WOW and THANK YOU! I just blind scanned a satellite that took 25 minutes on Saturday in about 4 minutes. Thank you!!! I think I will be using my pansat now.

I am glad that worked for you, I was confused since you quoted how to setup the Coolsat.

Oops. You are right. I meant to quote your post above. I'm not sure how to fix that. Perhaps I will just delete the quote. Regardless, thank you for the tip. This will make a huge difference for me!

Oops. You are right. I meant to quote your post above. I'm not sure how to fix that. Perhaps I will just delete the quote. Regardless, thank you for the tip. This will make a huge difference for me!

That's alright, it just confused me :)

There is no way the Pansat is blind scanning in 4 minutes. Unless its set up to scan just a portion of the frequenices :)

I think that sounds reasonable, that's about the time it take me (I think I might do a few blind searches and post my times, I know that results will be slightly different at different times).

In my case since I am using a universal LNB (LO 10600) it scans from a IF of 950 - 2150, I stop it when it gets to about 1600 (12200 MHZ) and switch to the vertical polarity and stop it when it gets to the same point, then I do a satellite scan.

I also press the "play" button on the data transponders.

I still want a faster blind search though :) I guess I need a spectrum analyzer :)

Stopped Working For Me

Strangely, when I was blind scanning for games on Saturday, pushing play did absolutely nothing for me. The strange thing is that I tried this earlier in the week and it worked beautifully. Any ideas what is up?

Also, how do you switch from horizontal to vertical and start again?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

New TELE-Satellite magazine out

PVR .ts to DVD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)