Favre reinstated!

The Packers are not going with Rodgers because they think he is "better." They are going with Rodgers so that they can start work on the "Post-Favre" era. They've had this guy waiting on the sidelines for like 3 years, paying him to basically take notes and hand people Gatorade. They didn't draft Rodgers because they liked his hairstyle: They did it to have someone for the future, and quite frankly, why NOT start building towards the future now? The Packers are not likely to get much further than they did last year with Favre, and the only place that is "up" is the Super Bowl. That is a tall order for ANY team, and I don't think this Packer team, with or without Favre, is up to that task.

So they chose the lesser of the two QB's to lead a team who was 1 win away from a Super Bowl? Nice. Those are the actions of a team that is rebuilding, not one who is expected to compete for the Super Bowl.

Either way, apparently GB isn't too confident in Rodgers anyways. Otherwise they wouldn't have drafted Brian Brohm or Matt Flynn.

the packers, like any other reasonable team, were/are trying to prepare for life without brett. too many professional teams stick with their hero too long (miami dolphins come to mind) and then have a hell of a time trying to rebuild. the packers are trying to prepare for their future.

beside, lets get to the crux of the matter. how many of you have employers who would give you your old job back if you told them you were retiring and then changed your mind 5 months later? they would have already hired your replacement.

brett certainly has a right to unretire. but green bay (as the employer) has a right to move on without him!

They surely have the right to move on without him. What they don't have a right to do is hold him on the inactive roster and hold him hostage there. Which is what they are doing now.

Well.....now according to local sport talk talk and a Tampa newspaper.....he will be a Buc by this afternoon!

Favre On Verge Of Joining Bucs
Posted By Ira Kaufman at Aug 06, 2008 at 12:10 AM
Updated Aug 06, 2008 at 12:35 AM

The Brett Favre saga is about to end with the NFL icon in pewter.

The Tribune has learned Favre will not stand in the way of a trade from Green Bay to Tampa Bay and the deal is likely to be finalized within 24 hours.

The chances of the trade unraveling are remote and Favre has indicated to the Bucs directly that he is willing to change teams after 16 years of growing his legend in Green Bay.

The Packers, unwilling to deal the 3-time league MVP to an NFC North rival, view the Bucs as a compromise in this ugly impasse. The Bucs view Favre as an upgrade on QB Jeff Garcia, who made the Pro Bowl in 2007 while leading Tampa Bay to an NFC South title.

Once it became clear to Favre that he wasn’t welcome back in Green Bay, he became more flexible in terms of accepting a trade to clubs outside the division. The Bucs have been interested in Favre since last month, when he announced he wanted to play again.

The Bucs could make the trade announcement official by Wednesday, but Favre will have little time to learn Coach Jon Gruden’s complex system because the Bucs open the regular season Sept. 7 at division rival New Orleans.

Bucs Report Sports - from TBO.com Blogs

Either way, apparently GB isn't too confident in Rodgers anyways. Otherwise they wouldn't have drafted Brian Brohm or Matt Flynn.

I noticed this when they drafted them .....

Looks like it probably going to be Tampa Bay now, until Farve changes her mind again.

Jimbo

I noticed this when they drafted them .....

Looks like it probably going to be Tampa Bay now, until Farve changes her mind again.

Jimbo

Nope...he will stay until he finally hangs it up. He will be the NEW King of the Bay area and I am willing to bet that Tampa will go FARTHER/DO BETTER than Green Bay does.

Green Bay is at Tampa Bay on September 28th at 1 PM on Fox. I wish the league would switch that game to Green Bay if Favre lands in Tampa.

Green Bay is at Tampa Bay on September 28th at 1 PM on Fox. I wish the league would switch that game to Green Bay if Favre lands in Tampa.

That's not going to happen. I'm also assuming this is too early in the season for the networks to make this a prime time game using the flex schedule, right?

That's not going to happen. I'm also assuming this is too early in the season for the networks to make this a prime time game using the flex schedule, right?

Absolutely. That would screw up scheduling. I was wishing the league could do that, not expecting it to actually happen.

So they chose the lesser of the two QB's to lead a team who was 1 win away from a Super Bowl? Nice. Those are the actions of a team that is rebuilding, not one who is expected to compete for the Super Bowl.

YES, because we all know that Favre was not going to win them a super bowl this year. So why bother bringing back a relic for one more year and continue to stunt the growth of this team?

The problem is that Packers fans are delusional because they don't realize that last year was a fluke. They had an easy schedule, a weak division, and a lot of close games that just happened to go their way. This was from Favre playing at the top of his game. Do you really think that at 39, Favre can repeat the success he had last year? Two out of the last 3 years he played horribly, and now because he had a great season last time, he should be heralded and brought back? If the Favre of last year played with the Packers like 10 years ago, when the NFC was the dominant conference, the Packers would struggle to be above .500.

Besides, Bret Favre jumped the shark in 2003 when the Packers' home winning streak was broken by, of all teams, the Atlanta Falcons. He hasn't been the same since.

I wouldn't be surprised if when he goes down to Tampa Bay, that Garcia beats him out for the starter job. What makes Bret so much better of a player? Granted, overall Bret is a far superior player, but at this stage of his career, and his "mental state," would you really trust him to be the leader of your team? If I was a player, I wouldn't feel like Bret has MY best interests in mind, as has been made clear by the shambles that he is leaving the Packers in.

Almost all the great work that Bret did for that team is being ripped apart over this whole thing, and while Bret is by NO means the only one to blame, he certainly could have jumped off of this Highway to Hell multiple times in order to serve the best interest of the Packers players, organization, and fans.

Exactly! Favre called their bluff! He Brett taken the money, he would just another greedy player. WITH him as the starting QB, Green Bay is a much better team. Play him until he proves other wise....because in the 1st game the Rodgers throw 2 INTs.....the fans will be tearing down the fences for Favre....

Green Bay made an incredibly stupid move by throwing money at him and not make a real effort to trade him....now, to me, their ONLY option to save face is release him.

By the way MAD....I told you he was not done!;)
Amen
Rodger is under the microscope. When he fails, and he will there will be hell to pay in Green Bay. BTW just what does we have gone another direction mean? Their pass recievers only run short routes now because Rodgers cant hit anyone over 15 yards? They under orders to drop Favre's passes? :rolleyes:

YES, because we all know that Favre was not going to win them a super bowl this year. So why bother bringing back a relic for one more year and continue to stunt the growth of this team?
The NFL is all about what you can do now. And this year Favre would have taken them further than Rodgers.

People have to remember that Aaron Rodgers' contract ends at the end of the 2009 season. The Packers are fearful that if they allow Favre to comeback, Favre will retire after one or two more seasons, and Rodgers will bolt for another team at the end of his contract because the Packers went back on their word when they promised him the starting QB job.

The Packers believe that if they bring Favre back this year, they'll lose Favre and Rodgers by the end of next season.

The NFL is all about what you can do now. And this year Favre would have taken them further than Rodgers.
So you really think that Bret could have taken the Packers to the Super Bowl this year? Because that's the ONLY way that Favre coming back could be deemed a success. Getting to the NFC title game again and losing would have made it a waste of a season. Sure, you could argue that the Packers would not make it as far with Rodgers, but now you have 2 angry quarterbacks who will likely not be with the Packers next year, and wasted time and effort on one of them who was being primed to take over the helm from Favre.

So you really think that Bret could have taken the Packers to the Super Bowl this year?
Can you read? try it again. Favre could take them further than Rodgers this year. Heck there is no indication that Rodgers will ever take them anywhere.. BTW yes I think Favre could take them, the Cowboys, Vikings, Green Bay and some others there. With Favre Gb is one of the best in the NFC, without him they do not even make the playoffs.

Can you read? try it again. Favre could take them further than Rodgers this year. Heck there is no indication that Rodgers will ever take them anywhere..
There's no indication that Bret will either. No one (especially you) seem to realize that.

People have to remember that Aaron Rodgers' contract ends at the end of the 2009 season. The Packers are fearful that if they allow Favre to comeback, Favre will retire after one or two more seasons, and Rodgers will bolt for another team at the end of his contract because the Packers went back on their word when they promised him the starting QB job.

The Packers believe that if they bring Favre back this year, they'll lose Favre and Rodgers by the end of next season.
Well, Rodgers has failed to beat out the old grey mare. Do you really want him?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts