Favre wants out of Green Bay and to play again!

Brett Favre is going down a very bad road that he needs to retreat from.

First off, he's been doing this retirement crap for the past 3 years, and the Packers have been caught in this Favre limbo the whole time, unable to really advance their team in any way. They have Rodgers waiting in the wings all this time, and he's not helping his cause by just holding a clipboard, nor are the Packers getting any return on their investment in him. This is like being stuck in a love relationship that isn't going anywhere. After last season the only place he can go from here is a Super Bowl, and there is no way that the Packers are going to the Super Bowl this year, let alone winning it. At this point I'd say they have a better chance of getting their with Rodgers than Favre.

If Favre comes back to the Packers, they will do HORRIBLE. He will have such a chip on his shoulder, that he will continue to try and make plays where he shouldn't, which is the main reason that he has the interception record, and why he ended up ending his team's season last year by throwing that bad interception.

Favre needs to realize that he is not going to "lead" any team to the Super Bowl. He's too old and trigger happy to do that. If he still wants to play, he really should just come back as a backup. I mean there isn't a great deal of shame in doing that. Also, what's to say that Rodgers will be around all season? He could tear a ligament in pre-season and be out and Favre could just take over like that. I'd say the best thing he could do (but of course he won't) is to just re-sign with the Packers and be a backup. If he really CARED about the team and its long term success, he should be there on the sidelines and help out Rodgers by giving real advice and being a 2nd set of eyes for him. That is a lot more beneficial than just WATCHING Favre play and trying to learn by example.

Let's see:

Legend and future HOF QB on one side, young star of the future of the other.

You're a 49ers fan- do you remember the whole Montana/Young issue?

I remember it was a big deal- do you go with this QB or the other?

Favre is not Reggie at the end of his career with the Panthers. Favre played at a MVP caliber level last year. Why the hurry to get to someone who's likely to be Whitehurst instead of Young?

he's going to be 39 in september. and just because he had a great year last season doesn't guarantee he'll have another one this year. i would much prefer remembering brett going out on a high note and not be labled with the....he was just another star athlete who didn't know when to say when.

Thanks Ice, I'm right there.

Namath as Ram, Unitas as a Charger, Montana a Cheif, there are others

Madtown, would you be saying the same thing about Rodgers if Brett was really serious THIS time?

I suspect not.

I'm afraid the Packers are going to be hung out to dry and cut to shreds over this. Because Favre just "needs" that one more shot.

Trade him, be done with it. The packers are going to be lucky if they get a 2nd round pick and a practice squad guy for him.

Although the Redskins owner might be stupid enough to cough up a 1st rounder.

Going into the year, Favre is a better option to get a team to the SB than rodgers. The object is to win championships. If Favre is an option too still play for your team, you welcomes him back and deal with next year, next year.

Hey, I'm a Giants fan, which means I cut Favre some slack whenever possible (thanks for rolling left away from your protection 5 years back so Strahan could get that sack record), but he needs to be careful here.

He can stay retired and be the equivalent of Elway in Denver. He can do no wrong and will be immortal there.

Or, he trashes the Packers (and by extension their fans), and burns up all that goodwill by pressing the issue.

IF I were the Packers....

Don't release him. Make him go through the motions of officially rescinding his retirement through the NFL channels.

Bring him officially back to the fold. Quietly explore the trading avenues, but ONLY through the AFC. Don't trade him to an NFC team (and preferably no one that the pack will play this year).

If that fails, then sign him, while keeping your promise to Rodgers and keeping him the starter. If Favre doesn't leave in a huff, then he goes to #2 on the depth chart.

Favre created this mess HIMSELF. The GM had a deal in place for him to come back as the starter and Favre screwed him over by reneging on the deal and retiring. After 3 years, aren't the folks in Green Bay sick of him holding the team hostage every spring? I doubt that he will have that much success starting over elsewhere, learning a new system, having to move, etc.

Worst case scenario, Green Bay pays him mucho bucks to be the backup, which can change if Rodgers stumbles a month into the season.... Imagine if Joe Montana screwed up Steve Young's ability to finally start and he went elsewhere after being sick of waiting... The short term may favor Favre (there's a phrase), but long term the Pack will be better served by replacing the QB now.....

Here's another issue: There are almost no teams that are a Bret Favre away from a Super Bowl, except MAYBE the Packers. There are no contending teams who got far last year with a crappy quarterback, or at least not one that is so lacking that bringing Favre in would push them over.

Here's another issue: There are almost no teams that are a Bret Favre away from a Super Bowl, except MAYBE the Packers. There are no contending teams who got far last year with a crappy quarterback, or at least not one that is so lacking that bringing Favre in would push them over.

True. The only teams in dire need of a QB (outside of GB's division) this year would be the Ravens, Dolphins and the Falcons. Why in the world would Favre want to go to those lousy teams?

Redskins. Maybe Ravens. ravens re not that bad BTW. But they do need a decent QB. Not agreat one but look wheer they went with trent Dilfer.

Redskins. Maybe Ravens. ravens re not that bad BTW. But they do need a decent QB. Not agreat one but look wheer they went with trent Dilfer.
Yeah but the Ravens defense that year they won was nothing short of astounding, while this past year they were quite a few notches below that. They need more than Bret Favre to get to where he wants to be with that team.

True. The only teams in dire need of a QB (outside of GB's division) this year would be the Ravens, Dolphins and the Falcons. Why in the world would Favre want to go to those lousy teams?
You don't think that Favre could be so delusional to think that he is so great that he can lead any team to a Super Bowl, do you?

Yeah but the Ravens defense that year they won was nothing short of astounding, while this past year they were quite a few notches below that. They need more than Bret Favre to get to where he wants to be with that team.

+1.

Those Ratbirds won the SuperBowl in 2001! That defense has aged significantly since then. Plus, a 28 year old Favre wouldn't help that offense that much let alone a soon to be 39 year-old Favre!

+1.

Those Ratbirds won the SuperBowl in 2001! That defense has aged significantly since then. Plus, a 28 year old Favre wouldn't help that offense that much let alone a soon to be 39 year-old Favre!

If it irked me when that traitor, Art Modell won a Super Bowl.......I can only imagine how you felt.

The ravens defense is not as good s it was in 2008 but the offense is not as weak either. People forget that the Raven team that won the Super bowl also went 5 straight games without scoring a touchdown----and won two of them. A good quarterback would help there. You don't know how excited that town got about the McNair signing and even the Grbac signing. They just might think that t hey would have what it takes with him. And as for Favre QBs are for the most part pretty cocky guys. I think he would like the redskin offense better (Zorn wants to run a Holmgrenesque ofense) but he might think he could do something there.

I am not sure either place is 'warm weather" but compared to Green bay they a re.

Last edited:
Bob wrote:
Favre created this mess HIMSELF. The GM had a deal in place for him to come back as the starter and Favre screwed him over by reneging on the deal and retiring. After 3 years, aren't the folks in Green Bay sick of him holding the team hostage every spring? I doubt that he will have that much success starting over elsewhere, learning a new system, having to move, etc.

Worst case scenario, Green Bay pays him mucho bucks to be the backup, which can change if Rodgers stumbles a month into the season.... Imagine if Joe Montana screwed up Steve Young's ability to finally start and he went elsewhere after being sick of waiting... The short term may favor Favre (there's a phrase), but long term the Pack will be better served by replacing the QB now.....

I agree somewhat with the first paragraph. But...The whole retirement thing for several years, at least in the beginning, was the media jumping all over an offhand Favre statement about retiring. Blown way out of proportion to any significance it had. This year, well, I gotta agree. This years mess is Favre created.

Steve Young's situation is a lot different than where Rodgers is at now. Young played a few years in Tampa. While he didn't look like he would be a Montana replacement in Tampa, he was showing some ability by just surviving the experience he gained there. Rodgers has played one half of football in the NFL regular season. Other than that he has held a clipboard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts