FCC to sell c band spectrum

The interesting thing is, Wireless carriers have never fully maximized 4G LTE. We are theoretically supposed to get way faster download speeds and ping times than what we get.
It's just a gimmick to sell more new phones etc. Market hype.
I believe the real motivation behind 5G is two things: Wireless carriers have oversold their networks creating data traffic congestion.
The wireless phone business is flat. Nobody is excited anymore a out smartphones. They are an appliance now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the SatelliteGuys app!
Study the technological differences between 4G and 5G, they are many. Night and day. Also higher frequencies are required for the increased bandwidth.

Reactions: norman881
Aren't the 137w and 135w slots now open? If so, these available slots are located at a similar angle for Alaska? These slots might be used to increase bandwidth availability for Alaskans? Hope you are exempted from this proposed auction! Good Luck!

I can't really talk on proprietary topics, I don't know which satellite our main competitor uses or it's location I can say there are a few hundred C band earth stations in Alaska between the operators and each is able to use one satellite (currently). So it is not really an option to simultaneously receive from more than one bird. Besides that, the cost would be astronomical to install second antennas at the sites. Most are 4.5 meters, the largest 10 meters.

Reactions: raydio
I don't have any numbers to back this up, but speaking personally, I am unexcited about the latest smartphones. There haven't been big enough design and function improvements to warrant another $1000 investment. Phone companies were banking on the annual phone refresh cycle to baseline their sales income and it isn't sustainable anymore. We're reached an innovation plateau with cell phones, just like we reached it with PC's years ago. Sure, you can add a bigger, faster processor, but is it really necessary? How about a 50 megapixel camera? Who needs that?

The latest smartphones are downgrades in a lot of ways.

I'm keeping my LG V20 until it breaks. The newer models no longer have a replaceable battery or a second screen. They're getting rid of headphone jacks and buttons on newer phones, making them less functional just so they can be even thinner and look "cooler." I am wholly unimpressed with the phone models they've been putting out in the last few years. I'm already satisfied with the LG V20's form factor. It's already super thin and sleek with its removable battery.

Reminds me of when cars started using touch screens only for interfacing with the radio and all of the various other functions. It's just stupid not to have any physical buttons; when I'm driving down the highway now I have to fiddle around with a finicky touch screen and I have to actually look down at the screen every time I want to do something as simple as changing the radio station. When they had buttons you had that tactile feedback. The buttons were instantly responsive and you could tell what you were hitting without even having to look at the interface.

It's stereoscopic 3D all over again. They tried desperately to kill off the format with the 4K Blu-ray format but 4K Blu-ray has ended up being a big nothingburger for most titles. The HDR effect is underwhelming compared to 3D and all of these old titles that these companies are lazily dumping on to the format only had 2K digital intermediates. All of Disney's recent 4K Blu-ray releases of their animated films / Pixar's animated films are utter trash for example. They all had 2K digital intermediates so you gain nothing from the 4K resolution part of "4K Blu-ray," and HDR color grading is an effect that pales in comparison to the immersion that stereoscopic 3D provides. So the 3D Blu-ray release of all these old Disney movies is still the definitive version of these movies and the 4K Blu-ray releases are just a waste of plastic.

I'm keeping my LG V20 until it breaks

I'm keeping my iPhone XS until it breaks, and my daughter is keeping her 8+ until it breaks. I buy my phones in cash or off Ebay and use them on prepaid services.

Cellco's want you on 5-line plans with 5 phones being financed with $500 monthly bills. It's a hamster wheel. I jumped off about a year ago and it's been great :)

I'm keeping my iPhone XS until it breaks, and my daughter is keeping her 8+ until it breaks. I buy my phones in cash or off Ebay and use them on prepaid services.

Cellco's want you on 5-line plans with 5 phones being financed with $500 monthly bills. It's a hamster wheel. I jumped off about a year ago and it's been great :)
Same here. All my androids come off Ebay slightly used or refurbs.
Samsung S9s currently is what we use

Reactions: comfortably_numb
$1000 for a phone? No thank you. I just bought a reconditioned S8 and it works great. My oldest son likes iPhones so I'm going to upgrade him from an SE to a 7 (or maybe an 8) for Christmas. But, I don't like iPhones because you can't add memory. And I won't buy a phone from a carrier again because the phone complains if you're not using their SIM card. And I hate it when a carrier installs their apps that you can't remove.

Reactions: danristheman
$1000 for a phone?

That's how they make a large profit margin. My artist friend in Colorado buys the biggest and largest iPhone every year. I believe the largest memory size is $1299.

I compare it to the car dealers. They add about $5000 profit margin to a new car's actual value (that's where that huge instant depreciation comes from).

Just like cars, it's cheaper to buy phones about 6 months to a year after they're new. You get rid of the depreciation that way.

Reactions: truckracer
So C-Band is toast? Man, I hate the 5G spectrum slaughter. They've chopped pieces of several bands just for this 5G BS. OTA is garbage now, with the band plan only allowing 35 channels now. People all over are getting signals on the same channel that are nulling each other out. This all for just some hyped up cell data network. LTE is perfectly fine (where the network was actually installed). 5G will take years to even sniff my neck of the woods...

So C-Band is toast? Man, I hate the 5G spectrum slaughter. They've chopped pieces of several bands just for this 5G BS. OTA is garbage now, with the band plan only allowing 35 channels now. People all over are getting signals on the same channel that are nulling each other out. This all for just some hyped up cell data network. LTE is perfectly fine (where the network was actually installed). 5G will take years to even sniff my neck of the woods...

$$$

ItsTrue004.jpg

4G LTE is not even optimized now. It's a mo ey gimmick selling 5G

4G LTE is not even optimized now. It's a mo ey gimmick selling 5G

I could probably get by with 3G or even 2G since I don't stream movies or play games or even do any large file transfers on a cellphone. So, I won't be running out to sign up for 5G anytime soon. If it'll be available for home internet users I doubt that it'll rival the 300 Mb service I have over fiber (and there is an available 1 Gb service over that same fiber optic cable). The 300 Mb service is more than enough bandwidth for 4k video. They should work more on making 4G available in more places in my humble opinion. I remember the promise that the original AT&T made back in the early 90's to provide cell phone coverage everywhere. They promised other services over cell phone also. Of course, that didn't happen and no carrier will be able to provide that service. Well, I suppose satellite phones would give the best coverage unless you're in a cave. I think I still have some VHS tapes with those AT&T commercials.

I could probably get by with 3G or even 2G since I don't stream movies or play games or even do any large file transfers on a cellphone. So, I won't be running out to sign up for 5G anytime soon. If it'll be available for home internet users I doubt that it'll rival the 300 Mb service I have over fiber (and there is an available 1 Gb service over that same fiber optic cable). The 300 Mb service is more than enough bandwidth for 4k video. They should work more on making 4G available in more places in my humble opinion. I remember the promise that the original AT&T made back in the early 90's to provide cell phone coverage everywhere. They promised other services over cell phone also. Of course, that didn't happen and no carrier will be able to provide that service. Well, I suppose satellite phones would give the best coverage unless you're in a cave. I think I still have some VHS tapes with those AT&T commercials.
2G is basically dial-up speed. That was the worst. I used to use the heck out of 3G though. I remember when I thought my 13GB of usage on a blackberry with 3G unlimited Alltel data was a lot! LOL not anymore. 4G LTE streams 4K with a strong signal. I don't even need that for a mobile service.

I thought the FCC was supposed to be working in everyone's best interest??

That's my opinion. 4G LTE is plenty for the current and future needs. Oddly enough AT&T had the strongest signal and most coverage in the state of wv years ago. Anyone in rural areas who wanted wireless service went with AT&T because you had signal in a lot more places. Now it seems AT&T has reduced their signal levels in many places.
Verizon now rivals AT&T here.
Not sure what happened but even in town, if I go I side buildings often times I have no service unless I walk outside or near a window.
That was never an issue before.

2G is basically dial-up speed. That was the worst. I used to use the heck out of 3G though. I remember when I thought my 13GB of usage on a blackberry with 3G unlimited Alltel data was a lot! LOL not anymore. 4G LTE streams 4K with a strong signal. I don't even need that for a mobile service.

I thought the FCC was supposed to be working in everyone's best interest??

Somebody has to pay for big speed in less densely populated areas. That means taxpayers. Everybody is against government handouts, until they aren't.

Somebody has to pay for big speed in less densely populated areas. That means taxpayers. Everybody is against government handouts, until they aren't.

Some of us in rural areas have paid for that speed, and for some of us it has come (I'm at 50/10 DSL now) but in other areas the promise of broadband that came with tax grants for companies to build-out never came.

The FCC dramatically slashed Universal Service Fund dollars some time back, and repackaged it as the Connect America Fund. They provide funds, if the LEC's can meet their target download speeds to qualify for the money. So it still comes down to costs, if the LEC can't make it work on paper in rural area to make it worthwhile, the upgrades may not happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)