FCC to sell c band spectrum

5G ain't gonna greatly change our lives for the better. It's just a tech race. Stupid that the FCC is all for it and ready to just give useful spectrum away for millions... And the mobile carriers will remind us of what they paid for the infrastructure in the higher bills. OTA TV is vitally important where I live in tornado alley. Last thing we need is getting rid of often the only warning system for poor, rural folk.

Your OTA is not in any danger of going away. There are 16 million OTA viewers, while not convenient the repack is a fair trade for helping implement 5G. The US will slip behind the rest of the world if 5G is not taken toward it's potential and once you see what it can do you will wonder how we got by without it. It will take time though.

• Haha
Reactions: Captain Midnight
I think wireless will have plenty to do with improving productivity, and competitiveness. 5G has potential to revolutionize many businesses, and perform work not before possible in some cases. Much of that will be in automation, AI etc. To be successful the US must grow, there are limited places to do this productivity is where the low hanging fruit is. World markets will follow.

Reactions: Titanium
True
I think you missed my point: Wireless isn't likely to make the US more competitive in the World markets. That our problem is communications is a red herring. Our problem is that our workforce spends too much time texting, following social media and shopping on their devices to accomplish anything resembling productivity. Wireless had a huge part making that happen and continues to foster these scourges to productivity.
Truth

Sent from my SM-G955U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Much of that will be in automation, AI etc. To be successful the US must grow, there are limited places to do this productivity is where the low hanging fruit is. World markets will follow.
I think you're being fed a heapin' helping of poppycock. Automation and AI happen in relatively tightly coupled environments that won't benefit in any meaningful way from the application of wireless technology. The only use anyone seems to have found for large scale connection of devices is malware bot nets.

AI in the common usage isn't necessarily useful AI: it is simply applying supercomputing power where it wasn't before. There's a difference between making VR maps or forecasts and making mission critical decisions.

I don't think it is necessarily to our advantage to turn everything over to machinery leaving the human element to checking in on Facebook and e-mail all day long. It may make the company somewhat more productive but at what cost to jobs and job satisfaction?

The US will slip behind the rest of the world if 5G is not taken toward it's potential

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this one. This isn't the space race; we're not trying to beat the Russians to the moon here. We've reached a plateau with wireless speeds. I don't need gigabit speeds on my phone or tablet, do you? If 5G would benefit rural areas by providing broadband where there wasn't any before, that would be something. But it won't, and we all know why.

5G is a money grab and that's it.

Last edited:
The UHF frequencies are going to be needed as well as microwave freqs. As far as perceived RF health risks, greatly overblown. At least the knowledge level on this forum is more enlightened about RF dangers than the general internet crowd, it is comical so read some of their statements about 5G being Govt. population control, cancer causing, mind control or whatever. RF is not doing us any good that is fact, however we do not think it is harming anyone either.
Yea. Exactly how much radiation can a cell phone create running 5 volts at 1 amp.....with most of that juice going towards the display?
With regards to needing more spectrum, I too work in the field and all the major carriers, as well as dish network have plans for 5g on the spectrum that they already bought. Reaching further at a time where they have a FCC that will let them is entirely about forcing people to lose free services, so that they can pay. Same for T band, they want ambulances and police departments to pay for communications instead of having their own freely accessible spectrum. Just more guaranteed money from taxpayers. The Airgig can work close to 1.2ghz and the resonants near 2.4 and 5.8 using a tech similar to wifi and just outside the band. Anyone with electricity could have gigabit speeds.
Buying more spectrum that they have no plans for is absolutely just to hold it hostage. They arent planning on giving up their current 3g/lte spectrum once it becomes obsolete for them.

Reactions: truckracer
Yea. Exactly how much radiation can a cell phone create running 5 volts at 1 amp.....with most of that juice going towards the display?
It isn't about just one device. In the truly connected world, there may be multiple devices per person -- each using multiple bands.

I dont think RF exposure is a big deal beyond just heating effects near higher power antennas. If RF was a huge issue, mankind would have long been extinct.
It definitely is an attack on free services such as 2 way radios, over the air tv etc.
They want everyone paying for data services to a provider.
Next thing we will see ham radio going online and off the uhf and vhf spectrum.
"HIP" ham over IP.

We already have a generation of kids who have never listened to a full range analog album on a high end stereo system.
All they know is 128k mp3 compression.

A whole generation who have never heard a phone call on a POTS line rotary phone that have full sized high gain microphones that you can hear the tv in the background plainly.

All we have now are 14kb vocoders that sound glossy, scratchy and missing audio information.

Reactions: mc6809e
I dont think RF exposure is a big deal beyond just heating effects near higher power antennas. If RF was a huge issue, mankind would have long been extinct.
It definitely is an attack on free services such as 2 way radios, over the air tv etc.
They want everyone paying for data services to a provider.
Next thing we will see ham radio going online and off the uhf and vhf spectrum.
"HIP" ham over IP.

Time will tell as far as that is concerned. I'm wondering what the difference in cancer rates will be in 10 years. I've read articles talking about breast cancer in women that kept their phones tucked in their bras. Johnny Cochran constantly kept a cell phone to his head. He later ended up dying of a brain tumor. I think the evidence of harm is there, but it's suppressed in the interest of wireless companies raking in billions.

Reactions: truckracer