Fed up with dish hd.

W

ww2154

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 4, 2004
44
0
I was watching the hd channels this morning, home and garden and hd news look like the bit rate has been turned down or something while the hd ppv movie bloodrayne looks great. All hd channels should have the same bit rate,we pay extra for the hd channels so in a way they are ppv. I've had dish hd for two years and the hd quality has gone down. The 1st college football game I watched when I first got hd was Georgia vs South Carolina and the picture then was great, they play today I bet the picture will not be as good two years later and it should be better than two years ago. I hope dish will do something about hd quality.
 
jerryez

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
4,491
958
Pensacola,FL
Well, go to cable and let us know what bang you get for your buck. Good by!
 
Kaydigi

Kaydigi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 1, 2004
487
0
Was those replies really necessary? He is stating the quality if Dish HD has gone down over time? What is wrong with what ww2154 is expressing?
 
David Dietzel

David Dietzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 21, 2004
371
0
Rancho Cucamonga
Everyone is delivering HD-lite quality right now until they get bandwidth issues resolved. Cable is FAR WORSE for HD picture quality than satellite -- cable compresses the hell out of its signal.

By the end of the decade, things should improve -- better compression codecs, better receivers, more sats in the sky and more widespread 1080p sets with users demanding better resolution and bitrates.

The original VOOM quality was INCREDIBLE before they went belly up as a full service.

Hang in their with Dish -- they are the best of the bunch at this point in time.
 
rad

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
10,567
4,170
Dripping Springs, TX
David Dietzel said:
Everyone is delivering HD-lite quality right now until they get bandwidth issues resolved. Cable is FAR WORSE for HD picture quality than satellite -- cable compresses the hell out of its signal.

I love it when people make statements like this, they've actually gone and checked the HD PQ on every cable system in the US? I don't know how many times this has to be said, all cable systems are not alike, even within the same company. I had Comcast before I moved in June and their HD PQ was very good. This was on a system that had recently been rebuilt so that have the bandwidth capacity. Maybe your system's PQ sucks but don't say all cable PQ is horrible since that is NOT a true statement.
 
W

ww2154

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 4, 2004
44
0
David Dietzel said:
Everyone is delivering HD-lite quality right now until they get bandwidth issues resolved. Cable is FAR WORSE for HD picture quality than satellite -- cable compresses the hell out of its signal.

By the end of the decade, things should improve -- better compression codecs, better receivers, more sats in the sky and more widespread 1080p sets with users demanding better resolution and bitrates.

The original VOOM quality was INCREDIBLE before they went belly up as a full service.

Hang in their with Dish -- they are the best of the bunch at this point in time.
I know dish is the best, I just wish the hd quality I had when I first started getting it two years ago was the same.
 
rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
30,193
917
Normal, IL
ww2154 said:
I know dish is the best, I just wish the hd quality I had when I first started getting it two years ago was the same.

Of course you do.

But E* also provides what, 25 more HD channels today (with a bunch more coming in the next few months); are you really going to have that amount of choice with cable? And will the PQ be much different?
 
W

ww2154

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 4, 2004
44
0
rockymtnhigh said:
Of course you do.

But E* also provides what, 25 more HD channels today (with a bunch more coming in the next few months); are you really going to have that amount of choice with cable? And will the PQ be much different?
I staying with dish, they are the best, I guess fed up was not a good choice of words.
 
riffjim4069

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
35,213
287
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Wow! A poster has a valid concern about the quality of his DishHD service (after 2 years of HD service mind you), posts examples, and states his desire for E* to restore the picture quality....and some people flame him for having an opinion. For shame, for shame, for shame.:eek:

Does DishHD provide the most bang for the buck...yes, they still do! But is the DishHD viewing experience getting worse...yes! At some point they are going to lose thier competitive edge if they don't right the ship.
 
rad

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
10,567
4,170
Dripping Springs, TX
riffjim4069 said:
Wow! A poster has a valid concern about the quality of his DishHD service (after 2 years of HD service mind you), posts examples, and states his desire for E* to restore the picture quality....and some people flame him for having an opinion. For shame, for shame, for shame.:eek:

Does DishHD provide the most bang for the buck...yes, they still do! But is the DishHD viewing experience getting worse...yes! At some point they are going to lose thier competitive edge if they don't right the ship.

Where's the flame towards the OP?
 
R

rnesky

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 28, 2005
61
0
Pa.
HD Issues

Having istalled a lot of HD, picture quality depends a lot on what tv you are using. They are not all the same. Try compairing the picture to a samsung 51" DLP which downconverts form 1080i to 720i and produces a quality picture.
There are a lot of tv's out there that do a horible job. That includes plasma and lcd. Unfornatuly many customers don't mind spending big bucks for a hdtv and then bitch that they have to pay extra for programming.:)
 
R

rickaren

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Mar 7, 2004
421
3
IN
David Dietzel said:
Everyone is delivering HD-lite quality right now until they get bandwidth issues resolved. Cable is FAR WORSE for HD picture quality than satellite -- cable compresses the hell out of its signal.

By the end of the decade, things should improve -- better compression codecs, better receivers, more sats in the sky and more widespread 1080p sets with users demanding better resolution and bitrates.

The original VOOM quality was INCREDIBLE before they went belly up as a full service.

Hang in their with Dish -- they are the best of the bunch at this point in time.

Dave I totally agree! As a past VOOMER myself I still miss that PQ, but also glad DISH HD is available for what would we do for HD programing? It surely is not D* at the present and I was looking forward to replacing my H10-250 DirecTivo DVR with the latest H20 DVR, but no one seems happy yet with it as we all are with the VIP 622.

We may all complain but presently we have the best available in HD, but improvements can be made and should be. Having both D* & E* HD I would really be complaining if I only had Directv, but many of their customers are waiting for next year (Summer). Don't understand that. Nothing wrong with complaining but DISH is the best at present, and I'm glad they supply 30 HD channels to justify my investment in HD.
 
Kaydigi

Kaydigi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 1, 2004
487
0
rickaren said:
Dave I totally agree! As a past VOOMER myself I still miss that PQ, but also glad DISH HD is available for what would we do for HD programing? It surely is not D* at the present and I was looking forward to replacing my H10-250 DirecTivo DVR with the latest H20 DVR, but no one seems happy yet with it as we all are with the VIP 622.

We may all complain but presently we have the best available in HD, but improvements can be made and should be. Having both D* & E* HD I would really be complaining if I only had Directv, but many of their customers are waiting for next year (Summer). Don't understand that. Nothing wrong with complaining but DISH is the best at present, and I'm glad they supply 30 HD channels to justify my investment in HD.


But some of the channels aren't in true HD.

I'm not saying that you would notice the difference between it's current state and full resolution; But by accepting quantity over quality it's all a matter time before Dish HD channels turn into the sorry state of PQ that the SD channels are currently in.
 
rad

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
10,567
4,170
Dripping Springs, TX
Kaydigi said:
Check the 2nd and 3rd post in this thread.

Ah, just the usual comments from folks when someone says they're leaving provider XXX for something else. I stopped considering them flames, just BS. Thanks
 
vurbano

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
rockymtnhigh said:
Of course you do.

But E* also provides what, 25 more HD channels today (with a bunch more coming in the next few months); are you really going to have that amount of choice with cable? And will the PQ be much different?
Please stop calling HDLite channel and HD channel. We need to stop giving that crap acceptance by calling it HD
 
vurbano

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
riffjim4069 said:
Wow! A poster has a valid concern about the quality of his DishHD service (after 2 years of HD service mind you), posts examples, and states his desire for E* to restore the picture quality....and some people flame him for having an opinion. For shame, for shame, for shame.:eek:

Does DishHD provide the most bang for the buck...yes, they still do! But is the DishHD viewing experience getting worse...yes! At some point they are going to lose thier competitive edge if they don't right the ship.
Agreed 100%
 
Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
3,601
1
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Don't let the HD-liteheads get you down.

I am left wondering if they sit there watching some of the sub-standard HD and don't even notice it. I wonder how bad it has to be before they do notice it.

As far as Dish being the HD Leader, well, shouldn't one actually have HD if they are going to be recognized as the leader?
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

D
Replies
6
Views
2K
dfergie
dfergie
H
Replies
24
Views
4K
mpeltz
M
S
Replies
7
Views
2K
stevvot
S
P
Replies
24
Views
6K
utexex79
U
M
Replies
16
Views
3K
elmafu69
elmafu69

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top