FedEx

Gee... I thought this tread was about which labels FedEx or UPS are being sent for boxes...:rolleyes:

EVERY thread is a chance for Bob to rant against Dish, sometimes making mountains out of molehills. :(

Gee... I thought this tread was about which labels FedEx or UPS are being sent for boxes...:rolleyes:

read the first page it was reporting the fed x and UPS workers were commenting on the volume of returned packages and one post asked is E going out of business........

which led to the churn discussion.......

Got my 4th replacement 722 in 2 months delivered by UPS yesterday. I asked the guy if he was getting a lot of returns to Dish and he said it's amazing how many. He said that a lot of folks are switching to Direct. Some folks complained about Dish's recent fee increase or equipment breakdowns and said Direct apparently has a better deal here in Hawaii. I don't know if that's true or just some peoples perspective.

charlies going to get a real wake up call....... if churn continues high and D continues to grow nicely what effect on stock prices will that have? let alone the TIVO lawsuit if E loses?

Funny when I sent my ATT Uverse box back the person at the UPS store said the same thing (I see a ton of these, what is going on). No matter who the provider the boxes are clearly marked and they stick in peoples' heads.

EVERY thread is a chance for Bob to rant against Dish, sometimes making mountains out of molehills. :(

I think that Bob is right in this case. You have to look at the long range cost of aquisitions and give aways and churn. One quarter of loss looks like it isn't all that much, but 3 quarters or 4 quarters , it really starts to add up.

The extra fees that DISH has come up with this year alone are pushing subs to churn. The extra additional receiver fees are the highest of the sat industry $17.00 vs $5.00. Which means if you are an upward mobile customer that wants more programming in various rooms in your house , you will go to DIRECTV and have more money for programming vs the additional receiver fees that DISH is charging. The upper income people in this country didn't get that way or stay that way, buy paying ridiculous costly extra receiver fees. This locks DISH into the poorer subs who only can afford smaller programming packs and one receiver. Poorer subs don't buy extra things like google boxes or sling receivers (God help them if they buy the 922) or even DISH pay per views, that are the highest in the industry. So the average revenue per DISH sub is going up, but only because the bi-annual price increase in both programming and newly created DISH fees for those who can afford them: google integration fee at $4.00 monthly, Sling fee $4.00 monthly added to the monthly $6.00 dvr fee = $10.00 for 922 subs. You used to get net features by software at no extra cost and now they are tacking on more monthly fees for using them. Even the google box which the subs buy themselves , have a monthly fee attached for full DISH usage.

It is simply not conscionable in these recessionary bad market times, to be hiking the cost of the additional receiver fees and the extra made up fees that DISH is doing, not to mention the price hikes on top of that. This is causing more and more subs to contemplate cutting the cord entirely and going internet only with an ota antenna for network tv. Hula , Netflix are just two internet companies you can do business with and get most if not all your programming without paying to a sat or cable company. Netlfix alone is using up to 20% of the total internet bandwith ,streaming movies to subs across the country at a cheap cost of about 11.00 for one blu ray at a time +streaming movies. Those subs that stay with DISH have to keep cutting programming and cut extra receviers and not buy extra tech boxes in order to be able to afford their monthly bills. Long term DISH is helping to hasten the end of their own company by becoming a nickel and dime cable like company. DISH is the king of FEES . Long term this will cause DISH to shrink in sub counts and it is not a model that is sustainable.

As others have pointed out again and again, DIRECTV is continuing to charge more for programming and has kept their additional receiver fees the same $5.00 , no matter which receiver you pick and they are continuing to GROW each quarter while DISH is continuing to shrink in numbers and they are continuing to add more and more fees . So their is still a market for satellite tv customers , just not at DISH where thier marketing plan is to continue to gouge their remaining subs with more and more monthly fees.

Last edited:
I agree that Dish is gouging existing subs with higher fees. But $17 versus $5 isn't a valid comparison. $17 is for a Duo DVR that can serve 2 tv's. Direct is still cheaper, but not by that much. Two D* DVRs or receivers would be $10 (or $13 if you want MRV). Dish still beats D* for a simple 2 room system: $0 for 1 HD-DVR for TV1 and SD for TV2 on Dish versus $5 (or $8 with MRV) on D*. Sure, if you have a house full of DVR's and receivers, D* is definitely much cheaper, but you lose 30 HD national channels on D* for about the same subscription cost. So Dish is still the value leader on small systems. Cable has huge extra DVR costs too, some around $15 for the equivalent of a solo DVR.

No question higher receiver fees contribute to churn, but I think D*'s sports offerings drives their subscriber growth more than anything else. They aren't competitive at all on basic HD programming, which is why I eventually dropped them myself. They had the most HD when I signed up a few years ago, and now they're near the bottom. Dish, U-verse, FIOS, TWC, Comcast, Cablevision and Brighthouse all have more.

well lack of bunding can hurt E.

I never really priced comcast tv internet bundle till the fee jacking.

Today I am paying about the same as I did for E pre fee jacking.

But have tv internet and phone which I am using for a rarely used fax machine

We'll see when the 10k comes out. Maybe we should get a pool going on the "churn" number that will be disclosed in it. Who's in?

We'll see when the 10k comes out. Maybe we should get a pool going on the "churn" number that will be disclosed in it. Who's in?

sounds like fun, i think this quarters shrinkage and churn will get everyones attention.

the beancounters are proud revenue is up, but churn at a grand per sub and overall shrinkage cant be tolerated indefinetely.

at some point Es reputation stock value etc will drop.

and sanity will return, charlie will be forced to go back to his roots. but it may not help, Es reputation may have been permanetely tarnished.....

sounds like fun, i think this quarters shrinkage and churn will get everyones attention.

the beancounters are proud revenue is up, but churn at a grand per sub and overall shrinkage cant be tolerated indefinetely.

at some point Es reputation stock value etc will drop.

and sanity will return, charlie will be forced to go back to his roots. but it may not help, Es reputation may have been permanetely tarnished.....

I doubt that it will be nearly as much as you want it to be. You are still PO'd because you had to pay high fees for the equipment that you had. Most don't have all that many units.

I doubt that it will be nearly as much as you want it to be. You are still PO'd because you had to pay high fees for the equipment that you had. Most don't have all that many units.

no I think the beancounters many revenue raising moves and tightening retention giveaways is going to hurt Es reputation badly. even if they rescind everything the pool of subs will be filled with people upset over fee jacking, or paying to return boxes after cancelling, or upset E refused to compensate them for legit issues so they cancelled.......

E is working hard to ruin their value reputation, during the worst economic time our country has experienced since the depression..

absolute wrong timing.

beancounters are necessary but I have personally watched them kill otherwise profitable companies with great reputations......

killed as in out of business or liquidated.

all just to raise the profit margin a few percent...

worse once they kill one company they move on to others:(

no I think the beancounters many revenue raising moves and tightening retention giveaways is going to hurt Es reputation badly. even if they rescind everything the pool of subs will be filled with people upset over fee jacking, or paying to return boxes after cancelling, or upset E refused to compensate them for legit issues so they cancelled.......

E is working hard to ruin their value reputation, during the worst economic time our country has experienced since the depression..

absolute wrong timing.

beancounters are necessary but I have personally watched them kill otherwise profitable companies with great reputations......

killed as in out of business or liquidated.

all just to raise the profit margin a few percent...

worse once they kill one company they move on to others:(

Whatever. I think they are just trying to get rid of the customers that are lower profit pains in the A.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts