Fees increasing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wish Dish would start making moves that would help increase sales instead of taking away. How the hell am I going to get more new customers when prices are getting too out of line. It's been hard enough the way it is. Bad move Dish, bad move.

So let's see.

MRV going up $4, that's more than double the current
2nd Hopper doubling in fee

Direct is offering the moon and stars and a $200 rebate for ETF. Of course, I'm too soon returned to make that even out, but it sure makes switching at the 1 year point very doable.

Time to get out the old spreadsheet again!

$200 rebate for ETF? Where have they offered this. I was just running the math, and at the one year mark myself, even without, its doable. That would certainly sweeten the pot and make things interesting.

Yet dish has $25 billion to offer sprint.

Yeah, that really irks me too. What the hell does Sprint have to offer the Dish customer? NOTHING! (And actually, the proliferation of cellular companies is harmful to both liberty and safety -- the government keeps taking bandwidth from radio applications to give to cell companies!)

Of course, a few years ago, when I found out that Dish was sponsoring a NASCAR driver, I asked the obvious question of why were they squandering their (read: our) money on something like that, and I got shouted down by the capitalism cheerleaders who can't imagine how I could dare question what a company does with its money. I'm so glad to see none of them in this thread so far -- maybe they've reached the breaking point?)

Directv pricing is rather easy for receivers
$10 DVR fee for whole account
$5 for whole home
$6 for receiver regardless of what it is. If you get a HR34 (Genie) and 4 HR24's (dual tuner units) you're looking
$15 + $24 = $39
So a 2TV system would be $21/mo, and after a year the $10 discount for advanced receiver fee goes away, making it $31/mo.
I'll stick with my $7/mo dual-tuner ViP for now. Maybe cut the cord or play the 2-year switch game once my DVR contents are exhausted.

$200 rebate for ETF? Where have they offered this. I was just running the math, and at the one year mark myself, even without, its doable. That would certainly sweeten the pot and make things interesting.

I've been getting that $200 rebate offer included in the 2 weekly emails and one weekly snail mail since I switched.

I just did a little math and I could switch now and it wouldn't be too horrible. But definitely at the 1 year mark.

Of course, I could get up ticked off at Dish some day before the 1 year mark too! :)

You know, now that you mention it, I do think I have seen that as well. I am going to seriously look into this. In fact I may just cut it all out. Ridiculous what I pay for tv when you consider how little I watch it.

This is to reflect the costs associated with providing all the features that come with the Hopper..

Sorry Tommy, nothing personal, but this is to reflect Dish's greed. FEATURES??? What features have been added since the introduction of the Hopper that would warrant such an increase? Just about everything I can think of have been improvements (updates) to the original features. Do you mean that because Dish reallocated hard drive space, we have to pay more? Again, I ask you, what features? What you are saying is that Dish is making us pay for updates. WOW! So every time my Xbox, iPhone, and windows update, it would be reasonable for me to pay a fee. How reasonable does that seem to you?

Here is what I say...... BAIT and SWITCH.

Last edited:
What about rebates for previous features that are missing or don't work like they used to? ;)

Hmmm,that's a great point.All that money that went to the tivo lawsuit,yet we never got any of the tivo trick play options back.Again.I say the tipping point has been reached,Dish at the rate they are going,will price themselves out of business.

Gosh, DIRT offered my a nice deal on my equipment, but I have been stalling. GLAD I STALLED!!!

I had my equipment sitting on the living room floor getting ready to install. Just had lunch & to kill a few minutes got on here & stumbled across this thread. My afternoon has been derailed ever since & decided to stay with what I have. Needless to say it has been a disappointing day. :(

I may have to reconsider and run the numbers again. I just bit the bullet and ordered 2H/1J this afternoon.

Figured this was a good time to update to the latest stuff after last nights events. We took a lightning strike last night around midnight that fried 2 60" lcd/plasma tvs, 722, 211, 7.1 audio receiver, bluray player, 2 external hard drives, NAS, alarm system, modem, routers, 1 computer, laser printer and whatever else I find not working. Having to test and have everything inspected for insurance claim.

I may cancel that order and just go back with what I had or just a couple of 211's. I still have 1 211 working and I've already paid the dvr conversion fee for the 211's. I was about to drop down to the base programming package as we don't watch much anymore other than locals, History and TNT until football season. I guess I'm becoming frugal as I get older and growing tired of wasting money just to have access to stuff I might watch once a month if ever.

You know, now that you mention it, I do think I have seen that as well. I am going to seriously look into this. In fact I may just cut it all out. Ridiculous what I pay for tv when you consider how little I watch it.

I watch quite a bit of TV, but even I don't think I'm getting my money's worth these days regardless of provider. This huge fee increase just irritates the heck out of me.

So I ran the numbers again. I can and might just say to hell with it very soon. I could cancel today at the 4 month mark and save a very small amount in a switch. Or I could drop some of my programming to bring the bill down a bit, maybe even quite a bit! A bit more research is needed.

As to the increase being because of the features in the Hopper, I can only say that they aren't all that valuable, certainly not the few 'extra' features they have over D*'s HR34/44 line. I know the DIRT team has to toe the company line, and I think they might catch some heat, but really they don't have anything to do with it.

Wow, equipment costs have really gotten out of hand. Even before these price increases equipment was over 1/3 of my entire bill. Was already leaning towards going back to cable and a media center with cablecard (the total equipment cost for the entire home will be $2.00 in my area using my existing pc/xbox). This all but confirms me doing that once my contract is up.

Greed is what it boils down to & they don't treat their employees any different.

The other day in the installer zone 1 of the inhouse dish guys said he had to meet a $2500 deductible on his med ins before it would cover anything. Yet dish has $25 billion to offer sprint. :confused:

You guys don't get it. Dish is the least expensive TV provider around. I have 4 tv options Dish/DTV/ATT/Comcast, and Dish is by far the best, at least for new customers. All your complaining does no good if you can't find a cheaper competitor to go with. And Dish did throw in the Slingbox in for free, and that is a $100 value.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts