Fees increasing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well downgrading or cancelling has been on my mind lately because I have a dog whose seizures are getting closer together and I have to purchase medication for her and have blood work done that'll cost $1000/year so this only makes it easier to cancel the day my 2 year contract expires or the total ETF becomes lower than my current DISH bill.

Here is a question; Do I have to keep all of my Joeys when my 2 year contract is up? Can I just call DISH and tell them to send me a box and take two of their Joeys back ? (if I did decide to keep DISH)

You can send back the Joeys any time you want, no penalties.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

60/40 is my bet.:D I can tell you this,I have been a pretty loyal Dish supporter for many years,if I had an $11 increase slapped on top of a $5 increase,there would be no threats.Dish would be history in this household.I'm just waiting for them to raise the dvr fees on vips next.
I considered dropping down a tier back in Feb. when the package hikes went in, the only thing that kept me stable was getting a 6 month $5 credit to offset it. I guarantee I'll be dropping at least $10 off my bill this summer, unless they give me a $10 credit for a year.

Here is a question; Do I have to keep all of my Joeys when my 2 year contract is up? Can I just call DISH and tell them to send me a box and take two of their Joeys back ? (if I did decide to keep DISH)
You can drop Joeys now if you wish...it won't affect your contract provided you stay at a minimum level programming package (AT120, I think).

As many publications have noted about the Dish/Sprint merger, Dish is in an essentially dying industry. The number of people subscribing to pay TV is not growing any more and could start to decline as more cord cutters gain traction. If you are in a dying industry (think the old long distant market) you either steal customers from your competitors and/or you raise rates on your existing ones that are too lazy to bargain shop at the end of every commitment.

If trends continue eventually there will be one customer left paying billions for his/her TV...

This will just help along the trend. I doubt it really has anything to do with Sprint, but more to do with doing the regular revenue increase that can no longer be done by increasing subscriber count (i.e. they are paying so much for new subs it really does not help if they steal them from someone else).

Thanks for the information guys as I didn't realize that about the Joeys. I can still save money by actually cutting my programming but I have great high speed internet that isn't even capped and have Amazon Prime, NetFlix, Hulu+, use Redbox and even though it's not HD I use PlayON. Right now that comes up about $100 cheaper a month than my total DISH bill. With the issues with my dog and increasing prices, and decreasing income it might just be the best idea to cut the cord.

You can drop Joeys now if you wish...it won't affect your contract provided you stay at a minimum level programming package (AT120, I think).

You can send back the Joeys any time you want, no penalties.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Since Dish has changed the terms of the agreement, I think a good lawyer can get you out of a commitment and waive the ETF.

Flat answer, no. What terms have been changed? I'll make it easy, none. In fact Dish is following what the agreement allows for. It isn't even worth discussing, it's been hashed over and over, and over many years and the answer is the same, nothing has been changed in terms of the agreement. This is not like the Cell providers, who do sometimes change the terms, and you have a chance to end the contract.

Since Dish has changed the terms of the agreement, I think a good lawyer can get you out of a commitment and waive the ETF.

A good lawyer even attempting to do so will cost you more than paying the ETF. And given the way the contract is written, good luck in winning that case. I certainly wouldn't want to take it to court.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Not surprising at all, with the AMC/Rainbow lawsuit and the possible Sprint acquisition, guess who gets to pay for that, Even though they have the money for Sprint it will come out of our pockets, That's what happens when major companies when they create new technology and contracts you have to endure to pay regardless

I don't have a Hopper system, I actually like separate receivers so at least at this point I appear to have no increase, and if there is one it won't be to the extent of those with a Hopper. I usually say to look at the bottom line, is Dish still cheaper or not. In some cases they still are, and even with Direct they are neck and neck. But that's not how I look at it this time. Those increases, if true, are obscene, even if Dish is still competitive.

I love my comcast with TIVO cablecard.......

last summer I took down all my dishes and scrapped them.......

It was a end of a era for me:(

I'm going to definitely have to look at downgrading. As much as I don't like price increases I get it when programming costs go up. To pay more for equipment I already had at X price makes no sense. Did they just now figure out the formula they needed to cover the costs?

So now we have a whole house dvr fee of $14.00 from the $10.00 it is now and if you have a second hopper on your account $14.00 from $7.00 where it is now. So I would see an increase of $11.00 over what I am paying now. So if I drop the 2nd joey off and drop back down to top 200 , I would save $17.00 a month. So I guess I can afford the increase and come out $6.00 more a month in my wallet.

At this rate I don't guess I will ever be able to subscribe to more than top 120 or top 200, if it doesn't go up much more. I only had HBO because it was 1/2 price at $9.00. I will have to cut that out early ,unless I want to pay even more a month. I can remember over 16 years ago, when I was paying $19.99 a month for programming and $4.99 for an extra receiver. I don't really know how much longer I can keep cutting out programming and changing out receivers in order to stay with DISH. I remember the increase in 2010 on the VIP receivers and I thought that was outrageous. I had two 722s back then and a 622 dvr. I had to trade in one of my 722s and my 622 for 211s to keep my extra receiver fees down to $7.00 each. I also paid the $40.00 for the dvr software to turn them into dvrs.

I realize that DISH is trying to buy Sprint or T-mobile or Clearwire or whoever this week that will have them, but I don't think it is right to do it on the backs of the ever dwindling DISH sub base of customers. Add to that the whole bait and switch thing with pricing and it really burns my ass. This is why I said that I wish that they would of made a 6 tuner dvr from the start. But everyone said that having two hoppers was better because of redundancy and extra backup etc. DISH purposely kept their hoppers 3 tuners because this was the plan all along. Get people hooked on the features and offer the second one for only $7.00 ,same as a joey and then lower the BOOM... PRICE HIKE TIME!!!!!! This is going to bite them in the butt. They had finally started to recover subs and go back up to 14 million subs. They had reached this total once and dropped down to 13 million and stayed there for a good many years. This is why they will soon drop back down again. Factor in the newest generations of kids that will never pay for cable or satellite tv and you see why they are hiking equipment fees. They need more profits and revenue to finance their buyout/merger with Sprint ,so they can stay relevant. Add to that the older subs who are literally dieing out and you see why this move makes them look even more desperate.

Mark my words: By the end of this decade ,if not sooner, satellite tv will be losing more subs than they can replace , and if they keep on trying to make it back by increasing the profits by hiking their every increasing FEES , they will go under. It is only a matter of time......

Last edited:
I really don't think the receiver fee hikes had much if any to do with the acquisitions, or lawsuits (except maybe the Autohop lawsuits, since those are directly affecting the Hopper model). It was their flawed business model of charging the same monthly fee for a 2nd Hopper as a Joey, and as a result, hoards of people took advantage of it (2H/1J, 2H/0J, etc). Now they are scrambling to stop the bleeding and recoup their receiver costs.

Dish isn't going to let anyone break their contract for $4 a month, or even $11 a month. Anyone who goes to the trouble of griping about the increase will get a $4-11 credit for 12 months.

Yeah, that really irks me too. What the hell does Sprint have to offer the Dish customer? NOTHING! (And actually, the proliferation of cellular companies is harmful to both liberty and safety -- the government keeps taking bandwidth from radio applications to give to cell companies!)

Of course, a few years ago, when I found out that Dish was sponsoring a NASCAR driver, I asked the obvious question of why were they squandering their (read: our) money on something like that, and I got shouted down by the capitalism cheerleaders who can't imagine how I could dare question what a company does with its money. I'm so glad to see none of them in this thread so far -- maybe they've reached the breaking point?)

Realistically you could probably switch providers and by the time your contract is over perhaps the merger has finally been approved and benefits of a merged company are just then starting to be discussed/rolled out in test markets.

This is outrageous! It's comparable to them charging $17 for a second 722 VIP receiver.

Now Timer Warner's triple bundle price of $89.99 sounds a lot more attractive now!

I just talked it over with the Mrs. and I'm cancelling my upgrade scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

Was getting 2 Hopper1's and 3 Joey's but we'll just get by with a 722k and 3 211's.

I just can't see paying $21 more a month just for the Hopper system and the same programming (AT120).

Before the fee increase it would have been a $10 increase, but $21 - NO WAY!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)