Fees increasing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why not first hoppers as well? I think everybody who doesn't want to send Dish these exorbitant new fees should just roll back to the VIP series and be done with it.

Probably because unless they already own a Vip series, the upfront cost would eat up any potential savings. And frankly, getting rid of all Hoppers would be like cutting your nose off to spite your face imo.

I've seriously thought about dropping one Hopper and putting in a Joey, but that wouldn't cut it as we use most tuners most of the time with what we have now due to our very differing viewing choices. Since I pay the bills I could just tell my adult son to tough that out or pay part of the bill, but that would be rubbing salt in his personal wounds these days.

I've also considered switching back to D* and thought that might even save a little money. But after actually using a spreadsheet instead of paper doodling, that doesn't make sense.

About the only things that makes sense if I want to watch what I want to watch is to drop BB@Home down to the Epix package ($3/mo savings) and since I don't watch any of the other channels in the BB@Home package nor care about a dvd by mail, that makes sense. For the rest of the $11 I'll most likely rely on dickering for dollars with Dish. At the one-year point, I'll then revisit switching.

It isn't like I can't afford the increase, it is that it is such a huge one and I don't want to afford it. So I guess I'll just feed the pig at Dish! :(

I don't know if anyone else has pointed this out, but here goes:

Phase I Dish Network develops this receiver to snag more new customers away from DirecTV and Cable.
Phase II Dish offers crazy deals to current customers in order to get them to buy fancy new receivers.
Phase III Dish squeezes money out of its customers by raising rates on all of the people from I and II who just signed two year contracts

Did I miss something?

This does not sound like giving your customers what you want. This sounds like the definition of bait and switch. How anyone agrees to a two year contract with these hooligans is beyond me.

BB@home may be what gets cut or me as I have 2 Hopper 1 Joey system. I do like the channels, and since I have BB open still it a decent value. I will see what happens come may and see if there is a welcome to this new fee credit of some sort

Though in my household premium movie channels won't be happening, even with the half
Off offers

Last edited:
I remember being shot down when I complained that my bill would go up $11/mo to upgrade to 1H/1J. Meanwhile, people with 4-5 TVs were seeing a savings in receiver fees. So now the heavy users are finally getting their $11 increase. Fun times. :rolleyes:

IIRC it has been posted here that four Hoppers will work together, and maybe more.

Ok, this is pretty scary news to me. I'm one of the 3 Hopper people. If you own equipment, do you still pay the fees, not real clear on that? And since you can have a 211 on your Hopper account now, maybe I should just dump one Hopper and Joey (those are in my 5th wheel right now) and hook up a couple 211s instead (I knew there was a good reason I didn't just get rid of them). Any idea?

Dish Network knew what they were doing. They did the same thing with the additional outlet fees. Remember when the second tuner with TV2 cost nothing then they added that $7 fee for the additional tuner? They are doing the same thing here with the Hopper only they are now thinking they should get the fee for the additional tuners even if you do not have a television connected. I knew this was coming.

This is why I did not upgrade to a Hopper along with their upfront cost and bugs in the beginning. It really made me think when they were charging the same monthly fee for the additional Hopper as they were the Joey. I knew that would not last long with how this company has been doing things over the years. In the future, I am sure when something is offered that seems like a deal, people will remember these fee increases and be shy to take those additional features particularly if they have to spend extra to upgrade or are under a contract/would be placed under a contract.

They suckered people in with the upgrade fees at $100, $200, etc. and know that these people will not want to lose their original investment while others are under contract and are subject to the fee increases. I cannot see Dish Network being able to get all these additional fees if they continue to charge the upfront $100, $200 fees to get the Hopper. I can see them dropping those fees and making up for it with these new fees. People want things for free but they pay for them in monthly fees. Essentually everyone that paid that $100 or $200 fee upfront was paying for the fees upfront until these fees went into place if the upfront fees go away.

If Dish gets Sprint I see a future of fees for Sprint as well with all these new features that will come to pass. That is one of the first things I thought when I saw the thing about the Sprint news. They are looking for more features to charge more for. It is a business though and its all about making money. I would be leery in the future about features or perks being offered without the additional fees because sooner or later, you know that the fees will come eventually. If it is too good to be true then it probably is.

Last edited:
IIRC it has been posted here that four Hoppers will work together, and maybe more.

Aye, here! Four Hoppers can see each other just fine, these monthly fees aren't changing my setup.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Why didn't Dish include these price hikes with the other price hikes in Feb?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Because it would be a large price increase all at once. They want to divide up the price increases so that it does not seem like as big of one at once. Instead it will make people wonder how many times a year the price increases will come. There is a boundary line as to what is acceptable and unacceptable and I think they are really testing the waters to see where that line is. If it gets bad results they will reverse what they done or offer perks to make up for it to make it seem like a sweeter deal perhaps even for existing customers.

I have a 722, a 622, and 2 211s.... I already pay $41 in equipment fees a month.... Are they going up even more now? This is a bad idea. I am being charged for regional sports networks in NYC like everyone else, even though they now have none since they dropped FoxSports NY, MSG, and SNY (and never had YES). Verizon Fios is looking better and better every day. After 13 years with Dish, I am running out of patience. My pay is still half what it was in 2008 and I can't afford to keep choking down this price gouging on equipment (3 of which I own supposedly)

I'm glad I'm switching to FiOS with my own HTPCs very soon! I'm also very glad I never got the Hopper.

Dish Network knew what they were doing. They did the same thing with the additional outlet fees. Remember when the second tuner with TV2 cost nothing then they added that $7 fee for the additional tuner? They are doing the same thing here with the Hopper only they are now thinking they should get the fee for the additional tuners even if you do not have a television connected. I knew this was coming.

By that accounting, the fee should have gone up to $21 for additional Hoppers. Or more if Dish wanted to charge for it being a DVR, like they do the other DVR receivers.

By that accounting, the fee should have gone up to $21 for additional Hoppers. Or more if Dish wanted to charge for it being a DVR, like they do the other DVR receivers.
Nah, if you look at the 722 fee ($17), it has one less tuner and one more output, so the price for additional Hopper using ViP fee model should be around the same (maybe a dollar different). So in the big picture, the Hopper fee is still a bargain compared to ViP fees.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)