Fees increasing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So can you use you 722 as a client to watch shows recorded on your hopper?

No nor did I ever imply that!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

So if someone goes from Hopper to the ViP722 series, will the EHD recordings made by the Hopper be viewable by the ViPs? I'd think yes, but its best not to "assume."

After the increase it will cost me $1 per month more than my old 922 + 722 setup. The lower fees were nice while they lasted. This may lead me to cancel either Cinemax or BB@home but will be staying with my 2H/0J setup. I would never go back to a 922.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I'll have to run the numbers when I get home. But I suspect I'll have to strongly consider a 1H/1J setup rather than the 2H with owned Joeys that I wanted. My ViP722s have been flakey and surely are not long for this world. One I have to run with the lid off, as the fan died. They've lasted longer than I expected.

OTOH, when one finally dies, maybe we'll drop to just the one, then later (after Project Runway ends its season) drop to minimum programming and watch all the EHD material. Then give FiOS another good hard look.

But I suspect we'll find a way to stay with Dish.

Wow I had no idea about this. I am so glad I found this site. Just think of the millions of people that don't go to these sites. Their going to flip when they see this increase!! I guess I'll drop the Protection plan first and then some programming. No more Superstations either. That's some pretty big increases in one year. Plus an extra $15 for AEP and they added nothing!!!They didn't even make all the premiums in HD!!

I'm trying to read all through this thread. We have a lot of very informed people here. The more I read the more I am impressed with this forum.

You know the sad part is next year it's going to be more increases on top of this. I get it that programming increases and they really can't do anything about that but the fees? I guess people were right when they said Dish was the king of fees.

Last edited:
So if someone goes from Hopper to the ViP722 series, will the EHD recordings made by the Hopper be viewable by the ViPs? I'd think yes, but its best not to "assume."

No idea. My 722k is on a separate account so can't test.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I went through this about a year ago, dropping Dish, not over fees but programming (AMC dispute). Going back to cable went very well for me. I got more HD, and since I use my own cable-card DVR, I'm immune to equipment fees. My multi-room system is only $2/month (that's the fee for the cable card). Additional rooms are absolutely free. I've got no DVR fees, no additional receiver fees, no lease fees, no mirror fees, no HD fees. My subscription (equivalent to AT250) is $49/month, for 2 years, then $69 when it goes back to regular price. So I'm saving a huge amount of money and don't have to use a crappy cable DVR. My Windows Media Center DVR is on par with Hopper in most respects. I highly recommend it to anyone who is sick of the endless fees from satellite providers and has access to a good cable service.

Have to admit I was highly irritated yesterday with this news. A good nights sleep & a different day made all the difference in the world for me.

Came to the conclusion that dish will be my secondary viewing on a minimal package. Primary will come from amazon prime, netflix, ota & various warez sites from the net. If I were retired it might be different & live sports doesn't matter either. This will work for me & won't give the hopper a 2nd thought.

I went through this about a year ago, dropping Dish, not over fees but programming (AMC dispute). Going back to cable went very well for me. I got more HD, and since I use my own cable-card DVR, I'm immune to equipment fees. My multi-room system is only $2/month (that's the fee for the cable card). Additional rooms are absolutely free. I've got no DVR fees, no additional receiver fees, no lease fees, no mirror fees, no HD fees. My subscription (equivalent to AT250) is $49/month, for 2 years, then $69 when it goes back to regular price. So I'm saving a huge amount of money and don't have to use a crappy cable DVR. My Windows Media Center DVR is on par with Hopper in most respects. I highly recommend it to anyone who is sick of the endless fees from satellite providers and has access to a good cable service.

How many channels can you record at a time? Is it better than TiVo ? What's the guide like?? How are additional rooms free?

How many channels can you record at a time? Is it better than TiVo ? What's the guide like?? How are additional rooms free?
Non-hacked Media Center can run up to 4 ota, 4 clear QAM and 4 cable card tuners all at the same time. The current "M" cable cards can run up to six tuners at once. You can use either Xbox 360's or Ceton Echo's as client/extenders (or find some used Logitech extenders). Up to four extenders for each Media Center pc for a total of 5 tv's. The guide is provided by MS for free (although nobody knows for how long now). I feel that it's better than Tivo, but it is more complex to set-up.

My current htpc runs 3 ota tuners and I use two Xbox 360's as extenders. I bought one of those 360's for $100 on craigslist.

Have to admit I was highly irritated yesterday with this news. A good nights sleep & a different day made all the difference in the world for me.

Came to the conclusion that dish will be my secondary viewing on a minimal package. Primary will come from amazon prime, netflix, ota & various warez sites from the net. If I were retired it might be different & live sports doesn't matter either. This will work for me & won't give the hopper a 2nd thought.

What receivers do you currently have and what were you upgrading to?

I've been informed that the increases only affect Hopper users.

Yes. THIS increase only affects Hopper systems. I can't help but wonder if ViP fees will go up too, to "reduce the gap" or make Hopper relatively the better value.

I got a call from ceo@dishnetwork.com this afternoon replying to my email last night complaining about the fee increase.

The guy from ceo seemed a bit taken aback that the news of the fee increase was in the wild.

He said theihad not been any public announcement of the fee change and he could not even quote me ant number on what the fee increases would be.

I guess he might have missed the meeting or something.

He sort of tried to downplay teh fee increase and tell me how wonderfule thir Hopper was.

I was having none of it.

Boy if I had gone ahead with my upgrade this afternoon and then learned about the fee increase I would be one seriously pissed off customer.

DISH THIS IS A REALLY DUMB MOVE!!

We might not have blinked at a $10 monthly Hopper fee - but doubling it and increasing Whole Home too!

I agree with the Hooper, two of them does add quite a bit of features, but yea the raise in whole home makes it that much worse

So if the increased fees are for the additional features they the hopper offers (looks like we pay a fee for autohop after all), then I feel my hopper should provide all the features. My hopper is not sling enabled and does not have the faster upgraded internals. Perhaps a phone call will be in order.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Fees goes up, then my package goes down.
I'll be cutting the cord soon...
Do I put the dish in recycle bin?
I am trying to save the planet.
My Xbox will serve my tv and movies just fine....
....joe

So if the increased fees are for the additional features they the hopper offers (looks like we pay a fee for autohop after all), then I feel my hopper should provide all the features. My hopper is not sling enabled and does not have the faster upgraded internals. Perhaps a phone call will be in order.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

There will be a fee for that.

I knew a guy who was a landlord. His tenants got one free call to him per month. Every call after that cost them. Most just fixed whatever little problem that came up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.